ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Allen Heath QU16 Case  (Read 36535 times)

Hanno Meingast

Re: Allen Heath QU16 Case
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2014, 12:26:27 PM »

Hanno...

You don't have to alter the case at all, just turn the lid around and slip the tabs UNDER the top bar of the pop-up frame.  You have to glue a couple of pieces of foam to the bottom of the case to pad the mixer and put some foam on the top bar.  For the top bar I've just used some 1/2" water line insulation.  Cut two sections, one for either side of the canvas lifting tab.  They snap right on.  I hot glued mine to keep them in place, but you could use gaff tape.

Dick,
The new cases have a hinge for the top on one side of the case, and latches on the opposing side only.  There is no way to turn the lid around.

Michael Kim

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2014, 12:22:46 PM »

Doesn't seem like anybody sells the old version with 4 latches (two on each side) any more. Another reason to hate the TSA I suppose.

I may end up going with the rack mount version of the Swan case. I was just a bit wary of buying from overseas, since it seems like a hassle/extra cost. Kev, how was the process of purchasing from them (or are you in Europe?)

Does anybody have a custom case maker in the US that they like? Shipping is pretty killer from overseas.

-Michael

Dick,
The new cases have a hinge for the top on one side of the case, and latches on the opposing side only.  There is no way to turn the lid around.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 12:32:00 PM by Michael Kim »

Kev Jones

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2014, 01:53:13 PM »

Michael, I'm in the UK... and that's where Swan Flight make their cases... so I can't comment on the practicalities of getting them to ship outside Europe.  For my transaction, they were very easy to deal with and they offered to prioritise the manufacture of my case (at no extra charge), in order to fit in with my time constraints.  I'm glad I called them to discuss my requirements (instead of just using the online ordering page) as... 1. they were able to guide me to the lightweight option (the lightweight panels added about £20 to the price - but, for me, it was worth it in order to save some weight)... 2. We were able to discuss my time constraints (and I guess the web ordering page wouldn't have prioritised my case).

I'm very happy with the case.  I think someone on a forum commented that they didn't like the fact that the butterfly part (ie the moving part) of the catches are on the section of the case that the mixer sits in.  As an ex. mechanical design engineer, I can see pros and cons with either approach.  I guess the moving part of the clasp is more vulnerable to damage... so it could be argued that it's better to have that part on the base that stays with the mixer (during the gig) as it could be more likely to be damaged by handling errors (if it was on the case lid) when the case lid is stored off stage during the gig.

Hope this helps.... but, as I say, I'm in the UK... so I can't comment on the practicalities of a transatlantic transaction.

Earl F Young

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2014, 01:41:31 AM »

I'm presently carrying mine in an accordion soft case/shoulder bag.

got pic? whatcha think about the
http://www.gatorcases.com/p/210122-755/g-mix-b-2519

james page

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2015, 11:17:43 AM »

I just ordered the rack kit and I'm going to try to use my trusty old SKB pop-up for my QU-16. I was thinking of using some type of rubber feet, maybe 1" tall to place in between the QU rack ears and the SKB rack itself. It should lift the mixer off the floor of the case and also provide some level of shock protection.
Anybody try anything like this?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2015, 12:07:54 PM »

I just ordered the rack kit and I'm going to try to use my trusty old SKB pop-up for my QU-16. I was thinking of using some type of rubber feet, maybe 1" tall to place in between the QU rack ears and the SKB rack itself. It should lift the mixer off the floor of the case and also provide some level of shock protection.
Anybody try anything like this?

I mentioned in my previous post that I used foam on the floor of the case and along the top rail to provide both shock protection and to help hold the mixer in place as the foam depresses.
I think you'll find that a 1 inch increase in height might not keep the mixer from sitting on the case bottom at rest. My mixer is now in a different case so I can't check but when the QU16 is installed in the SKB pop up- it sits quite high even when at rest....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

james page

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2015, 12:47:07 PM »

I mentioned in my previous post that I used foam on the floor of the case and along the top rail to provide both shock protection and to help hold the mixer in place as the foam depresses.
I think you'll find that a 1 inch increase in height might not keep the mixer from sitting on the case bottom at rest. My mixer is now in a different case so I can't check but when the QU16 is installed in the SKB pop up- it sits quite high even when at rest....

OK. The mixer is being shipped so I don't have it but I just checked a drawing and it appears you are right. Its nearly 2 inches higher than where the rack rail sits.
What kind of foam did you use and how did you adhere it? And how has it been holding up?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2015, 01:18:47 PM »

OK. The mixer is being shipped so I don't have it but I just checked a drawing and it appears you are right. Its nearly 2 inches higher than where the rack rail sits.
What kind of foam did you use and how did you adhere it? And how has it been holding up?

That SKB mixer case does work very well and until recently when I switched mine out to a mixer combo rack instead, mine held up very well.
I just placed a piece of foam about 3/4" thick in the bottom of the case. This helps to hold the mixer in place with the lid closed and in transit. It also comes in handy on which to place hard drives, iPods etc. The other piece of foam, I taped a strip about 1" x 1" x 18" along the top rail of the case. You can all use pipe insulation sold at Home Depot. Dick Reeves thought of this one. I found the insulation compresses a bit after a while and has to be replaced though. Either method works.
Once in place make sure the mixer is held safely with the case closed and if it moves, add another layer of foam to the rail or the bottom of the case.
It really does work very well and if I hadn't switched cases to get room for my iem transmitters, a rack drawer and my snake, I would still be using mine.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

james page

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2015, 02:07:38 PM »

That SKB mixer case does work very well and until recently when I switched mine out to a mixer combo rack instead, mine held up very well.
I just placed a piece of foam about 3/4" thick in the bottom of the case. This helps to hold the mixer in place with the lid closed and in transit. It also comes in handy on which to place hard drives, iPods etc. The other piece of foam, I taped a strip about 1" x 1" x 18" along the top rail of the case. You can all use pipe insulation sold at Home Depot. Dick Reeves thought of this one. I found the insulation compresses a bit after a while and has to be replaced though. Either method works.
Once in place make sure the mixer is held safely with the case closed and if it moves, add another layer of foam to the rail or the bottom of the case.
It really does work very well and if I hadn't switched cases to get room for my iem transmitters, a rack drawer and my snake, I would still be using mine.

Thanks Debbie. I appreciate the detailed explanation. Can't wait to try it.

Bob Cap

• Classic LAB
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2015, 02:32:27 PM »

I'm presently carrying mine in an accordion soft case/shoulder bag.

Dick,

You just want to be in the in crowd and look like you're carrying your accordion...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2015, 02:32:27 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.