ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SRX812P First Time Out. Monitor Duty  (Read 8414 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: SRX812P First Time Out. Monitor Duty
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 08:13:37 AM »

I think a case could be made that JBL never directly replaced the SRX-712m (where size and weight were a primary criterion) but went in another direction.

Jamin you mentioned that your 812s were just plug and play that night. Did you have to do any ringing or EQ, or could you just run them flat?

The band was plug and play. No sound check.

We tested the monitors a bit before they arrived. Some minor EQ'ing was all that was needed.  No ringing them out. Haven't done that in years. Just tested each vocal mic for volume and overall sound quality. We've worked with them before so we know what they want.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 11:04:50 AM »

STX812M is the replacement for SRX712M. Size, weight, output is very similar.

33lbs vs 42 lbs is not similar weight. That extra 9 lbs makes a huge difference in easily slinging the speakers around.
Brian Jojade

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 11:40:26 AM »

Tim, I haven't thought about P.D.Q. Bach in years...all I know for sure is: There isn't a cloud in the ceiling for tonight's performance...

Bill

There will be a holiday performance in NYC this year, probably one of the last by Schickele, he's 80 years old.  www.schickele.com/concerts/index.htm
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 06:30:40 PM »

I'm in luck! The venue I frequently do sound at is getting a set of the SRX812P's for monitoring. Looking forward to it. If they are as good as the 835's I have in the sky it will be a dream....
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 09:30:44 AM »

33lbs vs 42 lbs is not similar weight. That extra 9 lbs makes a huge difference in easily slinging the speakers around.

Brian, without discounting your experience I have to disagree that it's a huge difference. The STX812M is still quite "slingable" and manageable at 42 lbs compared to the SRX812P and STX815, both at 58lbs. The general consensus among techs I work with is 50lbs is about the point where a speaker begins to become difficult to get up on a stand.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 01:33:01 PM »

I'm kind of with Brian.  The 712m is great for anything from a small bar gig and has plenty of poop for the outdoor music in the park things I've borrowed some for.

I'd love to see someone put out something like the little Altos (which I have) but with a 2-3" coil CD and enough power to keep up with what you could get out of 712m's.  And at an MI price point, maybe around ~$1000MAP, without getting into Fulcrum or FBT territory.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 02:51:26 PM »

There will be a holiday performance in NYC this year, probably one of the last by Schickele, he's 80 years old.  www.schickele.com/concerts/index.htm

I still remember a performance he gave circa 1975-1976. Very enjoyable show and clever in a thoughtful way. Local public radio ran his show for years, too. Imformative stuff, but sometimes his schitck (pun intended) got a bit tedious.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 07:03:48 PM »

Jamin,
I've never had a problem with size. On the other hand monitors can be too large for some people, although when I look at your picture it's not hard to notice the cheat sheets are easily hidden from view. Wasn't that a discussion not to long ago?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 07:03:48 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 26 queries.