ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: make 15" sub smaller?  (Read 7173 times)

Chris Harrison 2

make 15" sub smaller?
« on: December 01, 2013, 01:28:58 PM »

Hi all maybe a strange question , myself and the misses are a duo me on guitar and wife singing , we have recently bought some active 15" EV speakers which sound pretty good on there own but a whole lot better with a sub . My question is our 15 inch sub is just a little too big in depth to fit in our car so do you think it would be ok to trim it down a bit by maybe 4 inches in depth so it could then fit in our car ? would it alter the sound of the sub a lot ? I hope this makes sense .

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 01:49:21 PM »

Hi all maybe a strange question

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Paul G. OBrien

Re: make 15" sub smaller?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 06:16:26 PM »

do you think it would be ok to trim it down a bit by maybe 4 inches in depth so it could then fit in our car
No it wouldn't be OK that could drastically alter the system response. If you plan to always use the EVs with a sub then my suggestion would be to return the 15s and get the 12" version as there really isn't much difference is bass output but the 12's are quite a bit smaller, and then look for a smaller sub to use with them

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 08:00:56 AM »

Hi all maybe a strange question , myself and the misses are a duo me on guitar and wife singing , we have recently bought some active 15" EV speakers which sound pretty good on there own but a whole lot better with a sub . My question is our 15 inch sub is just a little too big in depth to fit in our car so do you think it would be ok to trim it down a bit by maybe 4 inches in depth so it could then fit in our car ? would it alter the sound of the sub a lot ? I hope this makes sense .
Sure you can "trim it down. 

HOWEVER the response will not go as low anymore and if you don't do a good job of "getting it back together", it could rattle/buzz/whistle etc.

So the answer is "it depends" on your skills and what you really need.

If the need to fit it in the car is more than the low freq response-and since you already own it-then sure.

Also consider that the resale value will be very low after you do this.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 08:37:48 AM »

I'd add 4 inches to the car...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Richard Turner

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 12:24:12 AM »

I picked up a pair of yorkville e210 last year and am quite happy with the, 130db output from 600 watt rms 55hz-22khz, to compare their 15 plus 1" box needs 700w rms to give the same output and frequency response, Yes most folks balk at paying near 900 on a passive box these days but they work well.

I've read some good reviews of the JTR tripple 8

There are some nice dual 10 subs out there that for 1 box go louder but not deeper than a single 15" box, but as with most subwoofer applications you  need 4 (really16) drivers working together to make those pant shaking eyeball rattling tones at substantial volumes

Its your sub box do what you want with it with the knowledge that it likely wont work out for you just slicing it up and hoping for the best.

trading the 15's for 12's would save you some room,

Over the years I had done many a small room DJ gig using 4 EV SX300 with no subs and a generous amount of EQ and have gotten lots of compliments especially when the guy in the weekend before was abusing 1 pair of 15 boxes to within an inch of failure.

Unless you are singing below baritone or using an octave pedal on the guitar I question why you would need the subwoofer, what signal would be fed to it in its frequency range? A guitar's low E is about 82hz.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 06:14:30 AM »

I picked up a pair of yorkville e210 last year and am quite happy with the, 130db output from 600 watt rms 55hz-22khz, to compare their 15 plus 1" box needs 700w rms to give the same output and frequency response, Yes most folks balk at paying near 900 on a passive box these days but they work well.

I've read some good reviews of the JTR tripple 8

There are some nice dual 10 subs out there that for 1 box go louder but not deeper than a single 15" box, but as with most subwoofer applications you  need 4 (really16) drivers working together to make those pant shaking eyeball rattling tones at substantial volumes

Its your sub box do what you want with it with the knowledge that it likely wont work out for you just slicing it up and hoping for the best.

trading the 15's for 12's would save you some room,

Over the years I had done many a small room DJ gig using 4 EV SX300 with no subs and a generous amount of EQ and have gotten lots of compliments especially when the guy in the weekend before was abusing 1 pair of 15 boxes to within an inch of failure.

Unless you are singing below baritone or using an octave pedal on the guitar I question why you would need the subwoofer, what signal would be fed to it in its frequency range? A guitar's low E is about 82hz.
Maybe I missed it-but the original post was about modifying gear he already owned-not purchasing new gear.

Not everybody can just buy new gear-when they already have gear that works.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Richard Turner

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 09:11:58 AM »

Maybe I missed it-but the original post was about modifying gear he already owned-not purchasing new gear.

Not everybody can just buy new gear-when they already have gear that works.

I completly understand that but sometimes when doing a job with the wrong tool its just as easy and cost effective to trade swap barter the perfectly good toos you own for the proper one for the job rather than destroying what you have. Cutting up the cab would essentially make it worth zero on the used market, In tact it would have some value. if its bought and paid for. Fill your boots take it to the woodshop spend an afternoon taking it apart, then refinishing it.

I bult tons of sub cabs when I was younger and I had no money, plans were free on the internet, obsolete speakers were cheap on the used market and were great sources of hardware, cheaper than buying new handles and grilles, That and we had a tablesaw router and painting equipment. I still have one pair I made from the old JBL plans kist , dual 15's all 13 ply baltic birch built in wheels etc they are really pro looking.Guess what I was offered for them more than once? $200 -250 loaded with eminence cast frame woofers for the pair because they were no name cabs yet a pair of ugly peavey 118 subs brought in $350 and had 3 guys sour cause the 4th came and grabbed them withing an hour of putting up on kijiji, that was a few years back.

If the OP is dead set on using the 3 piece system perhaps just building a complete sub box feom scratch would be faster than reworking the old one. If you dont count your time as worht anything no one else will. Count your labour $20 hr and see if it still makes sense to cut that cab up, count that labor, the worth of the cab as it sits used, even what it would net to dump at a pawn shop, thats an accurate valuation, and see if you are really farther ahead reworking it or purchasing the right tool for the job.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Chris Harrison 2

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 08:47:42 PM »

Thanks for all you replies it seems probobly its not an option to modify my cab but just to clarify we are putting backing tracks through our pa plus guitar and vocals which is why we need the sub , yes the ev's on their own can do it but on certain songs we do they seem to struggle on their own especially at bigger venues . ideally I would like to spend another few hundred on a small active quality sub but we are short on cash ,, the sub I have is about 15 yrs old so prob not worth much anyway but still sounds pretty good , I might just try and trim it a bit and see what happens .

sam saponaro

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 11:45:55 PM »

Build a smaller box for the speaker you allready got and keep the original box in the garage for resale purposes.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 11:45:55 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.