ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi Zone Amps  (Read 5652 times)

Mike Sullivan

Multi Zone Amps
« on: December 14, 2013, 03:42:52 PM »

I'm looking at designing a small system for our fire station for multi purpose (paging by phone, radio traffic, as well as light background music and multimedia publishing)...right now I've seen the most out of what I want with the HTD MCA-66 multi zone amplifier, which looks like it would fit the bill perfect, if we get the $$ to purchase it.  Has anyone used one or something similar with remote keypads for volume control? 

http://www.htd.com/Products/mid-level-whole-house-audio/MCA-66-Audio-Controller-Amplifier#
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Multi Zone Amps
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 08:44:23 AM »

That looks like a residential product rather than a pro audio product, so you might want to ask about it on some of the home theater forums.

How many and what type of speakers are you planning for each output?  The MCA-66 seems to be a stereo device with 6 stereo zones and supports a 4-8 Ohm load per output (each channel of each zone).  It's probably not appropriate where you may be using a 70V distribution system or have a larger number of speakers in a zone.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 07:50:36 PM »

I'm looking at designing a small system for our fire station for multi purpose (paging by phone, radio traffic, as well as light background music and multimedia publishing)...right now I've seen the most out of what I want with the HTD MCA-66 multi zone amplifier, which looks like it would fit the bill perfect, if we get the $$ to purchase it.  Has anyone used one or something similar with remote keypads for volume control? 

http://www.htd.com/Products/mid-level-whole-house-audio/MCA-66-Audio-Controller-Amplifier#

You're also going to want something with input prioritization.  If someone is listening to background music on one input, how are they going to get a telephone page or a radio alert?  I recently used a bunch of Valcom speakers in a EOC in our area that worked very well.  Powered Ceiling speakers in the drop tile and some outdoor powered horns, all ran with category cabling.  I used Bogen for the preamp with a doorbell, phone and music input and let the radio guys provide an interrupt for the radio after the preamp.  Multi-zone prioritization can be done but you're looking at getting into a BSS/Biamp type preamp and individual amps which can be programmed.   
This space for rent

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 10:53:23 AM »

Yup, "party mode"  :o ?  Multi zone amps are a mature product category from real install products companies, with appropriate features. Check out at least two of major manufacturers to get a handle on available features and then decide what you need.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 05:00:50 PM »

Look for one of these.  Peavey PZS 80.  I found one on  CL.  They are intended for restaurant background with priortized paging.  I use the four zones  to drive speakers in my basement, garage, front deck, and rear deck.  It seems to be bulletproof, and gets plenty loud (20w/zone) for general listening.

It acccepts RCA stereo input such as a Sirius receiver or CD, but has monaural ouput.  Mono is not a problem for my use.  A good thing is that most "all weather" speakers come in pairs.  Spend a reasonable amount on the speakers, as that is what determines how good and loud it will sound.

http://assets.peavey.com/literature/manuals/80301542.pdf

-Dennis

Edit #33-1/3:  The PZS 140 is the 80's big brother at 35w/ch

...just seen:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-PZS-80-5-Channel-4-Zone-Mixing-System-Multizone-Audio-Center-Great-cond-/201001778490?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ecca3bd3a#ht_192wt_921

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-PZS-140-Multi-Zone-Mixer-Amplifier-Architectural-Accoustics-/221338257319?pt=US_Signal_Processors_Rack_Effects&hash=item3388c9c7a7#ht_345wt_878
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 10:08:33 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 05:08:14 PM »

Here is an example of a reasonably good, affordable speaker, available at Menards for about $50/pair.  To make it simple, buy the ones with the largest woofer.  The littler ones sound like...  littler ones.

-Dennis
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 05:51:17 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 09:06:27 AM »

The piece of gear originally asked about was a six source, six zone device so it might be worth verifying how many sources and zones are actually involved.  It would also help to know if the intent is one or two 8 Ohm speakers per zone or you might possibly have multiple speakers in a zone.

Since this is for a business you might want to think twice about consumer/residential products.  They typically are not intended for the use associated with commercial installations and their warranties do not always cover commercial use.

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 03:32:33 PM »

The piece of gear originally asked about was a six source, six zone device so it might be worth verifying how many sources and zones are actually involved.  It would also help to know if the intent is one or two 8 Ohm speakers per zone or you might possibly have multiple speakers in a zone.

Since this is for a business you might want to think twice about consumer/residential products.  They typically are not intended for the use associated with commercial installations and their warranties do not always cover commercial use.

It's technically a residence, since most of us stay up there on the weekends, lol.  It will be less than six zones (truck bays, TV room, training room, offices, and maybe one more), sources would only be a few (base radio throughout whole station, training room A/V input, TV room A/V input, general music input, plus whatever else they want to add)...this is more of a planning phase at the moment, we're waiting on word back on a grant for our station renovation; our chief has already said he wants to put a multi zone system in, but the main issue is the money.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 03:32:33 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.