ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: PA record/install schematic  (Read 6820 times)

Dan Bobek

PA record/install schematic
« on: November 26, 2013, 02:52:47 PM »

I would like to document how our system is connected and the settings for each channel etc; are there any programs or processes you recommend for this? 

Have tried in photoshop but it takes a long time with a large number of components to include... 
Have also tried MS Visio because you can link lines and move components, but it still does not produce the professional result I would like...

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Dan

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: PA record/install schematic
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 02:56:05 PM »

Thanks,
-Dan

Dan...

I recommend you comply with the Forum rules on using your real, full name.  Then we can deal with your questions.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 06:58:28 PM »

I use Smartdraw for my own drawings and creating sketches, or marked-up photographs for clients. I also have AutoCAD, which is arguably the standard drawing software when working with architects and other disciplines.

Google makes Sketchup which is compatible with AutoCAD.

Stardraw allows you to create sexy looking drawings suited to showing the client. They are supported by some Pro Audio manufactures who provide drawing blocks.

Others will add to this, I'm sure.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 07:29:50 PM »

Back when I was doing system drawings I used Stardraw.

However if this is a "one shot" deal-I highly doubt it would be worth the cost-learning curve etc.

You could do some simple drawings using most anything.  Heck even a good hand drawing may be good enough and much better than nothing.

Unless you plan on doing a lot more of this type of drawing-I question whether it is worth the hassle.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 09:09:59 PM »

What OS are you using?

On the mac side of things, I like Omni Graffle for quick shop drawings, for everything else it is AutoCAD.

On the windows side it is either star draw or AutoCAD. I believe star draw has a 30 day demo than is full function. If it is only a one time deal you can probably get away with that.

Lastly, you mentioned Photoshop, do you have illustrator as well? I have used illustrator for basic line drawings. Depending on how detailed you want to get with the blocks, you can get it done pretty quickly.

I have about 30min into the drawing attached this was done with Omni Graffle.
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• COMSYSTEC
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 09:14:34 PM »

Back when I was doing system drawings I used Stardraw.

However if this is a "one shot" deal-I highly doubt it would be worth the cost-learning curve etc.

Yes, you can get Stardraw free for a 1 month evaluation. The learning curve isn't very steep (at least it wasn't for me  8) ) and you certainly should be able to come up with excellent schematics within that time frame. Pre-configured drawing blocks from many manufacturers save you time. I was even able to create rack drawings using pre-configured front panel illustrations. They had every manufacturer of everything in the rack. If I had the money and the need I would use Stardraw above anything else. I have no idea how you used Photoshop and AutoCAD is going to take a college degree .

-Hal

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 01:38:04 AM »

AutoCAD is going to take a college degree

I use AutoCAD every day - it doesn't!

I hear paper and pens still work well!

Steve.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 03:14:57 PM »

I use AutoCAD every day - it doesn't!

I hear paper and pens still work well!

Steve.

It looks to be over $4000.00 though!  Is there a lesser version that does 2D diagram type work?
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 06:27:40 PM »

It looks to be over $4000.00 though!  Is there a lesser version that does 2D diagram type work?

If you do not need 3D capability, AutoCAD LT is a great alternative for both mac and PC. I have a license at the shop, they are on sale right now for $1000 per seat, $1200 regular price.
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 07:16:37 PM »

I would like to document how our system is connected and the settings for each channel etc; are there any programs or processes you recommend for this? 

Have tried in photoshop but it takes a long time with a large number of components to include... 
Have also tried MS Visio because you can link lines and move components, but it still does not produce the professional result I would like...

Thanks,
-Dan

I generally just use Visio because it is easy and it can look pretty good if you put in all the right details.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

Glen Kelley

• El Paso, TX
    • The University of Texas at El Paso
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 12:41:37 PM »

I generally just use Visio because it is easy and it can look pretty good if you put in all the right details.

I also use Visio for Audio/Video/Control/Power line-diagrams. You can make pretty sophisticated drawings. It takes time to create a library of shapes. Visio ~can~ import manufacturer's CAD drawings of their gear, which are pretty readily available, but it makes for pretty large files and some take forever to convert (and move shapes after converting). There are some tricks. In theory, you can attach all kinds of properties to Visio shapes (ie. connector types, # of RU, etc.) if you want to take the time. This information would be available in a report, which might work really well for you. (alternately, you can attach an Excel 'object' to a shape, so that clicking on a shape links to a regularly updated Excel file for your settings/changes etc.) 

Visio has become a pretty powerful program. For floor plans and elevation drawings, it doesn't work as well,since it sometimes scales things strangely.

I work for a university, so both Visio and AutoCAD are essentially free, while Stardraw or D-tools would cost quite a bit. CAD has a steep learning curve, so Visio it is!  PM if you would like info on how we have used Visio. Drawing out a complete system diagram is a great exercise. You learn a lot about how your system is 'actually' working! Haha!

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 07:49:33 AM »

Another good consideration would be today's digital photography.  Take pictures and place in word document as you walk through the system from mic to speakers. 

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 11:22:48 AM »

Sorry for the late reply.  ProgeCAD is a free AutoCAD clone which is very good.

Steve.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 05:58:44 PM »

Sorry for the late reply.  ProgeCAD is a free AutoCAD clone which is very good.

Steve.

Looks quite workable.  Been playing with the demo, but it is definitely NOT free.  Pro is around $400, Architectural is around $1700 and the mac version is around $800 so the prices are an improvement from autodesk (and for what we need, most of their packages are way overkill anyways)

For truly "free" there is an open source project I've found called LibreCAD that actually seems to work -and runs in Linux as well as there are ports for windows and OSX.  (It's actually in the standard repositories for Ubuntu and Debian)  There is still development needed of course (as with most open-source projects) But anyone is more than welcome to join the team and work on it :-)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 05:58:44 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.