ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Things you dislike about your $<10K digital console  (Read 20267 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Things you dislike about your $<10K digital console
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2013, 04:36:56 PM »

X32 Rack.

Mostly love it for small jobs.  It's a beautiful solution for small gigs that can be handled mixing on an iPad.  Has worked flawlessly for that so far, and I love that I can have multiple iPads connected, allowing me to have the full spectrum of sliders available to me.

A couple of things I don't like though.  First, the headphone jack is on the front of the unit.  When mixing remotely, I connect wireless headphones. It would have been nice if the headphone jack was duplicated in the rear. (yes, there is a monitor output with left/right 1/4" but a stereo jack would have been easier)  The talkback mic input is in the back of the unit as well.  Again, if this could have been duplicated, that would be handy.

The major thing I don't like about the unit is that during power up, it outputs a horrendous noise on all outputs for about 10 seconds.  I confirmed with Behringer that this is normal expected operation, and the outputs are not muted during power up.  Their solution was to power up the mixer before powering any amps.  Well, duh, but stuff happens. If a power cord gets kicked and plugged back in, the mixer reboots faster than you can get to the amps to shut them off.  The duration of the noise is way worse than any small pop I've ever gotten from other gear.  Designing mutes on the outputs at startup is quite common, and I'm not sure why they didn't think of that.

As far as features missing, I REALLY, REALLY wish there would be a way to use a full sized console to control this unit over ethernet/wifi.  Since it can be done with the iPad, if Behringer would support using their console as a control surface, that would be simply amazing. No audio needs to be routed to the control console (but could be with AES50, if need be)  That way, if the FOH console gets run over by a drunk mob, the show goes on.  Physical controls still reign supreme over touch screen for mixing, in my opinion.
Brian Jojade

Luke Robinson

• audio gods
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2013, 05:30:30 PM »

Another gripe I have about the X32 series is the super bright red LED's next to the input XLR ports that indicate 48V is enabled.  100% of the things I plug in via XLR will not break if 48V is present, yet I can see those LED's all the way from the other end of the room.  I think I'll be taking a Sharpie to those when I get a chance.

I tend to use 1/8 to dual XLR cables to plug in an iPod or Phone for walk in music, and (at least from things I have read, and thank goodness not due to personal experience) Phantom power can take out the headphone jack in some of these devices, so that is at lead one instance where it may be nice to have the warning.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2013, 09:47:52 AM »

As far as features missing, I REALLY, REALLY wish there would be a way to use a full sized console to control this unit over ethernet/wifi.  Since it can be done with the iPad

I think that in the not too distant future, most of the clever stuff will be in the stage box and the mixer will just be a control surface.

Steve.

David Parker

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2013, 10:00:02 AM »

I think that in the not too distant future, most of the clever stuff will be in the stage box and the mixer will just be a control surface.

Steve.
in 2005 Lakewood Church took over the Compaq center in Houston, and turned it into a church. They bought an innovason mixing solution. The actual mixer was backstage in racks, with 3 control surfaces. One FOH, one monitors, and one broadcast. So that was 8 years ago, the technology was in use. When do we get it? Well, actually you can do it now, put your digital mixer onstage and run it remotely by wifi or cat 5 cable. I agree, it's just around the corner, the stage box will be the mixer. The new little mackie is an example of the missing link. It has no control surface of it's own.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2013, 10:31:28 AM »

in 2005 Lakewood Church took over the Compaq center in Houston, and turned it into a church. They bought an innovason mixing solution. The actual mixer was backstage in racks, with 3 control surfaces. One FOH, one monitors, and one broadcast. So that was 8 years ago, the technology was in use. When do we get it? Well, actually you can do it now, put your digital mixer onstage and run it remotely by wifi or cat 5 cable. I agree, it's just around the corner, the stage box will be the mixer. The new little mackie is an example of the missing link. It has no control surface of it's own.

Wasn't the PM1D's mix engine in the rack portion making the console mostly a control surface?  It debuted in 1999.  There may have been other control surface / mix engine setups before.  I haven't been around long enough to remember or involved enough to have been exposed to most of the available products over the last 20 years.

#topicswerve

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2013, 10:32:21 AM »

Steve.

You mean like iLive, profiles, d-shows, etc?

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2013, 11:37:38 AM »

Yes.  I suppose I should have suggested that it will be the norm which is affordable for us mere mortals rather than the few exceptions.

I like the look of the Allen and Heath i-Live.  I haven't seen that one before.

Steve.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2013, 11:58:05 AM »

Wasn't the PM1D's mix engine in the rack portion making the console mostly a control surface?  It debuted in 1999.  There may have been other control surface / mix engine setups before.  I haven't been around long enough to remember or involved enough to have been exposed to most of the available products over the last 20 years.

#topicswerve

Yes, the CS-1 control surface was (is) not needed to use the console.

Mac

ps. PRG in Secaucus has 5 of them for sale in fully racked and multipinned configurations.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2013, 12:22:52 PM »

Yes, exactly like that.  The X32 systems could have the capability to do that.  I did see a solution that used a PC in between to sort of make it happen.  But it would be awesome if in the firmware you could say o.k, this unit now controls this other unit.  Life would be grand if that was in version 2.0.
Brian Jojade

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2013, 12:49:34 PM »

Yes, exactly like that.  The X32 systems could have the capability to do that.  I did see a solution that used a PC in between to sort of make it happen.  But it would be awesome if in the firmware you could say o.k, this unit now controls this other unit.  Life would be grand if that was in version 2.0.

My preference would be a less expensive control surface, with touch sensitive faders, that could serve double duty in the studio.
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2013, 12:49:34 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.