ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Things you dislike about your $<10K digital console  (Read 20423 times)

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
Re: Things you dislike about your $<10K digital console
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 03:45:19 PM »

I am using a SAC mixer.  I don't find anything not to like.

1) I have 48 ch and can expand to 72
2) I Can't record all channels direct to computer
3) I have and use a number of tablets, laptops, and a tower remote.  Tower for recording, laptops for IEMs and a tablet for walking around.   We are running 10 separate mixers
4) I have scribble strips on every ch on my two wide screens (all 48, no layers) and on my 16 "real" faders.  I am thinking of expanding to 24 faders.
5) Although I have no layers I do find it handy to drag channels together for a given scene so they are on my faders
6)  I like that I can save anything and name scenes with a keyboard so it is quick.

I would like to be able to have special channels that are not saved or changed with a scene.
I would like to have a very simple display for visitors (Example, 4 channels fader, mute, solo, scribble strip only)  Not being able to save preamp input gain is not as big a problem as I thought it would be.  There are a few good work arounds, but it would be nice.

Not to Code

Luke Robinson

• audio gods
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 04:16:51 PM »

I have a couple of LS9s and have probably done a couple hundred gigs on them by now

1) I wish it had scribble strips (it is a sign of the age of the board though) but i would not even want to look at a board that did not have them now
2) why didn't the label the channel strip with the GEQ frequencies
3) occasionally you get a little skip in the audio when adjusting the head amp because there are different stages in the head amp
4) you can't load individual show files only entire console presets

Funny thing is that other than that I can't complain about the LS9 for all of the people that complain about the sound I say that I can get quite a good mix on it

I bought an X32 about 4 months ago

so far it is pretty amazing, I am actually trying to think of what I don't like about the board and other then the name emblazoned on it (witch I am slowly starting to get over) I absolutely love the thing!!! and the fact that I can have 3 of them for the same price as many of it competitors is incredible.

the noise floor on it is a little high when you have a bunch of channels open but thats not really a factor when you are actually running signal through it.

I am going to rack my brain but I shutter to think that I can't complain much about my x32!?!

Luke

David Parker

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 04:39:48 PM »

I wish my LS9 had some 1/4" inputs

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Re: Things you dislike about your $&lt;10K digital console
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 04:43:12 PM »

Si Compact, had it for a couple years. Generally happy with it.

Biggest complaints: No scribble strips. Single fader bank like ls9 - I'm a big fan of separate in and out banks even on small consoles like GLD and X32. No channel or FX libraries. No Lo Pass. Single expansion slot. Can't make the mono fader the cue output for a cue wedge when running monitors. The primary signal meter is nt very deep, just a few more segments than the channel one (Digico meters are a dream). Slow turnout of features.

Like you said - this is my complaint list. Generally happy with my mixer.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 05:03:11 PM »

Biggest complaints: No scribble strips. Single fader bank like ls9 - I'm a big fan of separate in and out banks even on small consoles like GLD and X32. No channel or FX libraries. No Lo Pass. Single expansion slot. Can't make the mono fader the cue output for a cue wedge when running monitors. The primary signal meter is nt very deep, just a few more segments than the channel one (Digico meters are a dream). Slow turnout of features.

Like you said - this is my complaint list. Generally happy with my mixer.

Yes, but don't you wish you had waited a bit and gotten the benefit of the big price drop and feature increase on Soundcraft consoles that happened just after you bought yours?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2013, 09:27:26 PM »

Things I don't like about the Roland M-400 (sells for less than $10k, used it for 3 years):

1) Output bus meters are not visible on the 1st layer or on the front panel. Have to navigate to the 3rd layer just to see them. So, if you're running monitors from FOH and one of your buses is clipping you'd have to go to that layer to see the clip lights.

2) Lack of LED scribble strips makes the "user layer" pointless. I don't need LED strips if the layers are fixed, but if you give me the ability to move things wherever I want, I should also be able to see where everything is.

3) Cannot set the "tap off" point of direct outputs or sends to be pre-dynamics. The earliest they can be set to in the signal chain is pre-EQ, and the EQ comes both after the dynamics and after the insert. So any compression I put on any channel will go not only to any buses that channel is going to but also any direct outputs. If I want to choose not to have compression in the monitors, I have to double up on the channels.

4) No stereo channels, any stereo sources take up two channel strips, this includes effects returns. If you want to use 4 stereo effects you have to use up 8 mono channels on the console for returns (The M-480 corrected this and has 6 dedicated stereo returns).

5) No option card slots or option cards. So no ADAT, Aviom A-Net, Cobranet, Ethersound, or Dante connectivity. At least they make a MADI bridge...

6) No digital inputs without purchasing an expensive modular digital snake.

7) No compressors on output buses, only limiters.

8) One big bank of 24 faders instead of multiple smaller banks of faders. Only way to get inputs and outputs, or inputs and DCAs on the same layer is to use a user layer, see scribble strip complaint above.

9) No delay on outputs (other mixers in the series do have this however).

10) No key-in or side-chain filters on dynamics processors (other mixers in the series do have this however).

11) Can set the metering point to be preamp, pre-fader, or post-fader. Cannot set it to, say, pre-filter.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 09:29:29 PM by Jason Lucas »
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2013, 09:47:43 PM »

Things I don't like about the X32
1. It says Behringer in big chrome letters
2. That unshielded cable / static discharge digital snake failure.  I had just bought and assembled a tactical UTP Ethercon snake & reel when it was discovered by others here on PSW that shielded cable with Ethercon's is a requirement for the X32.  Yes, I know that's what Behringer said in the first place but there were mixed signals coming down the pipe from customer support and tactical STP is harder to find.
3. The scribble strips seem to be of inconsistent build.  The same color doesn't necessarily look quite the same from channel to channel.
4. The bank-of-eight routing.  I'd like to make channel 31 and 32 sourced from local inputs while 1-30 are from the digital snake.
5. I can't seem to get the remote control via USB to work - may be user error.

Things I don't like about the Qu-16
1. Fixed stereo or mono mixes.
2. No expansion
3. The UI seems really slow.  It takes many seconds to scroll to the bottom of a list when picking an effect for example.  You have to scroll, then wait for the UI to catch up, then scroll more.
4. Menu configuration items are not where I expect them to be.  For example, to select which signals get routed to the stereo USB recorder or the last 2 channels of the multitrack recorder, you don't go to ROUTING, you go to Setup...then pick another tab.

Things I don't like about the LS9
1. Limited expansion - I'd like every channel available in and out of the card slot
2. No proportionately priced digital snake option.  The Rio box + Dante card costs almost as much as the (16 channel) console.

None of the items I've listed are serious.  My gripes about the X32 are laughably minor for such a cheap console.  I knew the limitations of the Qu-16 going in.  I bought it for my church where the fixed routing may actually be helpful.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 09:51:31 PM by Corey Scogin »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 10:05:57 PM »

Things I don't like about the Qu-16

3. The UI seems really slow.  It takes many seconds to scroll to the bottom of a list when picking an effect for example.  You have to scroll, then wait for the UI to catch up, then scroll more.

I have not experienced this on mine.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 10:31:35 PM »

I have not experienced this on mine.

Good to know.  I may shoot a video for comparison's sake if I remember next time I'm in front of that board.  It hasn't caused issues, just seems much slower than other consoles I've used (LS9, X32).

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 06:50:57 AM »

Biggest complaints: No scribble strips. Single fader bank like ls9 - I'm a big fan of separate in and out banks even on small consoles like GLD and X32.

Samuel, the GLD is not at all like the X32 in this regard.  The GLD does NOT have separate input and output banks.  ANY FADER CAN BE ANY INPUT, OUTPUT, FX SEND, FX RETURN, MIX BUSS, GROUP, DCA, Etc. On any layer of any bank.  The GLD 80 has two banks with four layers on each bank.  Totally customizable!  The GLD so very dissimilar from all the other under $10k consoles.  It really is a totally different type of console.  Probably shouldn't be compared to the others too much but it will be based solely on its price range.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 06:50:57 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.