ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tablet for Remote Desktop  (Read 8273 times)

Steven Cohen

Tablet for Remote Desktop
« on: November 24, 2013, 02:46:57 PM »

Hello,

I would like to purchase a tablet. The tablet will connect via remote desktop to a Windows Vista desktop that is running Studio Manager and connected to a Yamaha DM2000. I am thinking about purchasing a Microsoft Surface Pro 2. The tablet will also be used for to run Microsoft Office applications and other common programs when it is not being used to make remote desktop connections.

Does anyone have experience with the Surface Pro 2 or have recommendations for a different tablet? My budget is $1000.00.

Thanks,

Steve
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 03:24:39 PM by Steven Cohen »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Tablet for Remote Desktop
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 05:55:15 PM »

Hello,

I would like to purchase a tablet. The tablet will connect via remote desktop to a Windows Vista desktop that is running Studio Manager and connected to a Yamaha DM2000. I am thinking about purchasing a Microsoft Surface Pro 2. The tablet will also be used for to run Microsoft Office applications and other common programs when it is not being used to make remote desktop connections.

Does anyone have experience with the Surface Pro 2 or have recommendations for a different tablet? My budget is $1000.00.

Thanks,

Steve

I have one of these coming:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231359  Runs full Win 8.1, not RT, and includes Office.  Has 2.4 & 5GHz WiFi (I have all our WAPs on 5GHz).

Ideally will run AirFader Server, Yamaha Studio Manager and other Yammy console software, VENUE stand alone, X32 Edit.  If it will run SMAART (even if just 2 channels) I'll be thrilled.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 05:59:30 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 06:37:01 PM »

I have one of these coming:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231359  Runs full Win 8.1, not RT, and includes Office.  Has 2.4 & 5GHz WiFi (I have all our WAPs on 5GHz).

Ideally will run AirFader Server, Yamaha Studio Manager and other Yammy console software, VENUE stand alone, X32 Edit.  If it will run SMAART (even if just 2 channels) I'll be thrilled.

Let us know how long it takes to clean up the Win 8 and get it manageable.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 06:42:48 PM »

Let us know how long it takes to clean up the Win 8 and get it manageable.

I expect no placenta.  8.1 and non-RT were the reasons to wait.  I expect the usual bloat-load of trial ware.  I might reload Winders before I even fire it up.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 09:43:34 PM »

I expect the usual bloat-load of trial ware.  I might reload Winders before I even fire it up.
That's always a good idea...  It's always a nice to have a true fresh install and I imagine it will run much better.

It should be noted that the Surface Pro and Pro 2 do run the full version of Windows and not RT.

You might look into a program called Splashtop for your remote desktop needs, IMO it's much better than regular remote desktop or VNC.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Craig Montgomery

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 11:27:46 PM »

Hello,

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, since you are going to be running applications over RDP that are not designed for touch, you will need to use an active stylus.  The Surface 2 does support it, but I like the Samsung Ativ Smart PC better.  It comes with a stylus which is stored onboard.  I would also get a Clover Trail or Bay Trail processor, which give you a thinner, lighter fanless machine with better battery life. They'll run Remote Desktop just fine.

Also Studio Manager will be tiny at 1080P resolution.  1366x768 is better for our purposes.

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/pcs/XE500T1C-A01US
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 11:35:54 PM by Craig Montgomery »

Steven Cohen

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 01:33:16 PM »

Thanks everyone for the input. It looks like a laptop convertible with an active stylus is the best way to go for us.

Hello,

Thanks,

Steve

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 04:19:32 PM »

Hello,

Thanks,

Steve
We have both Surface Pro's and Surface Pro 2's at work.  Other than better battery life and better lap use due to the second kickstand position that the 2 adds, they are functionally identical.

They work decently well.  The screen is gorgeous, they're plenty fast, and the type keyboard is surprisingly good.  They are disposable in the way of the I devices- battery is glued in, etc., but are fairly well built.  Biggest downside is you can't pick them up by the keyboard like a normal laptop.

Jon Dees

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 10:34:14 AM »

I expect no placenta.  8.1 and non-RT were the reasons to wait.  I expect the usual bloat-load of trial ware.  I might reload Winders before I even fire it up.

I purchased an Asus T100 as linked above just after they came out, about a month ago. This device is very good value for the money. I can report that it has many important features that I've been looking for: all day battery life, usably fast, full USB 3 port (in the included, not extra, keyboard dock), and backward compatibility with whatever crusty windows program from 2003 you can find lying around. It also comes with a license of Office 2013 Home & Student.

Airfader works fine, but you have to poke fairly accurately at the center of the fader to grab for changes. Compared to the Android app or StageMix the experience is somewhat annoying.

I have noticed these at Wal-mart, so I would heartily recommend a trip there to investigate this device for yourself.

Note that this device doesn't really have the capacity to do a "clean install" as you might with another device, as the 'secure boot' function requires that you recover the OS from the local 8 GB recovery partition, not from a thumb drive install. That being said, there isn't really any non-Asus bloatware on the device, unless you count Kindle or Netflix as bloat. There are also several MS default personal apps (Food, News, Sports) but they don't get in the way in my experience.

The only caveat to a recommendation is that Dell has the Venue 11 Pro which they are in the process of releasing. That one has a slightly larger screen, higher resolution, active stylus, battery in the keyboard dock (though the dock is extra $$). If you're itching to spend that whole $1000 you can also get the Venue 11 Pro with full 'Core' processors for more money.

I would not hesitate to recommend the T100 versus an iPad or other <$600 device.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 10:54:37 AM »

I purchased an Asus T100 as linked above just after they came out, about a month ago. This device is very good value for the money. I can report that it has many important features that I've been looking for: all day battery life, usably fast, full USB 3 port (in the included, not extra, keyboard dock), and backward compatibility with whatever crusty windows program from 2003 you can find lying around. It also comes with a license of Office 2013 Home & Student.

Airfader works fine, but you have to poke fairly accurately at the center of the fader to grab for changes. Compared to the Android app or StageMix the experience is somewhat annoying.

I have noticed these at Wal-mart, so I would heartily recommend a trip there to investigate this device for yourself.

Note that this device doesn't really have the capacity to do a "clean install" as you might with another device, as the 'secure boot' function requires that you recover the OS from the local 8 GB recovery partition, not from a thumb drive install. That being said, there isn't really any non-Asus bloatware on the device, unless you count Kindle or Netflix as bloat. There are also several MS default personal apps (Food, News, Sports) but they don't get in the way in my experience.

The only caveat to a recommendation is that Dell has the Venue 11 Pro which they are in the process of releasing. That one has a slightly larger screen, higher resolution, active stylus, battery in the keyboard dock (though the dock is extra $$). If you're itching to spend that whole $1000 you can also get the Venue 11 Pro with full 'Core' processors for more money.

I would not hesitate to recommend the T100 versus an iPad or other <$600 device.

Thanks, Jon.  I got mine from Newegg and so far am very pleased even though I'm not terribly excited about Win 8.x.  For a device using an Atom-series processor it's a snappy, fast machine.  I activated the Office install but haven't used it yet.  I haven't used it for remote desktop yet, either.

You're right about the protected, secure boot mode and the lack of bloatware, too.  I think ASUS has a winner here and it's under US$400.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 10:54:37 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.