ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Improper outlet use  (Read 18773 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: Improper outlet use
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 02:21:15 PM »

It is common practice because it goes WAY back to a time when the flash attachment had a "Edison" socket to connect that cord to.

I have one in my office and here are some pictures from the web.
http://faridscameramuseum.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Antique-flash-camera467.gif

I didn't think the Speed Graphic shutter had an Edison fitting.  I thought it was two round pins.

EDIT: Like this: http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/6/6/5/5/9/3/webimg/713919785_o.jpg

Steve.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 02:47:36 PM »

I didn't think the Speed Graphic shutter had an Edison fitting.  I thought it was two round pins.

EDIT: Like this: http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/6/6/5/5/9/3/webimg/713919785_o.jpg

Steve.

The shutter has two pins.  The Graflex flash and many other flash attachments used the "Edison socket"  BTW The Edison socket was not invented by Edison.  He didn't forsee the need for plugs and outlets

Frank
Not to Code

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 05:02:53 PM »

What scares me about the 'PC to household' flash cord is not that the photographer might make a mistake, but that someone else in the vicinity might make a mistake and plug your camera's PC sync socket into 120V power... what will that do to your camera?

I agree it is a bad idea.  I was just reporting that it is a bad idea that has been available commercially since 1930

Frank
Not to Code

Steve M Smith

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 06:07:32 PM »

The shutter has two pins.  The Graflex flash and many other flash attachments used the "Edison socket"

I see.  I have owned a Speed Graphic (must get another one) but not a Graflex flash.

Steve.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 07:38:12 PM »

What scares me about the 'PC to household' flash cord is not that the photographer might make a mistake, but that someone else in the vicinity might make a mistake and plug your camera's PC sync socket into 120V power... what will that do to your camera?
I did a gig a few years ago which had an unmarked "special outlet" in the gymnasium wall for the floor buffer. Yup, it was a standard 120-volt NEMA 5-15 receptacle mis-wired for 240-volts. I plugged a rather nice Sennheiser RF receiver into it which did a bright flash and died (no universal power supply on this one). Ouch!  :-\

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 11:33:06 PM »

I did a gig a few years ago which had an unmarked "special outlet" in the gymnasium wall for the floor buffer. Yup, it was a standard 120-volt NEMA 5-15 receptacle mis-wired for 240-volts. I plugged a rather nice Sennheiser RF receiver into it which did a bright flash and died (no universal power supply on this one). Ouch!  :-\

That danger also exists with IEC power connectors, which are voltage-agnostic. Unfortunately, not every device with an IEC power input is.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2013, 03:40:48 AM »

did anyone ever have a speaker that used twist locks get connected to 120v ?

Steve M Smith

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2013, 03:41:59 AM »

That danger also exists with IEC power connectors, which are voltage-agnostic. Unfortunately, not every device with an IEC power input is.

That is just about everything here in Europe - Although the chances of plugging in to the wrong voltage over here are virtually zero.

Steve.

Steve M Smith

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2013, 03:43:41 AM »

did anyone ever have a speaker that used twist locks get connected to 120v ?

I don't know what they are but I have had a few things over the years which used that international and universal twisting two wires together connector!

Steve.

Kevin Graf

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2013, 09:45:38 AM »

Jim Brown's thoughts on balanced power and isolation transformers, start at slide #155 of this PowerPoint.

The Power Point slides for his Power and Grounding class at InfoComm 2012:

http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/InfoComm-Grounding2012.pdf
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/InfoComm-PowerSystems2012.pdf
Speedskater

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2013, 09:45:38 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.