ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need easy, robust multipine connector for gym remote control  (Read 5538 times)

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
Need easy, robust multipine connector for gym remote control
« on: November 20, 2013, 11:33:05 AM »

I have a service call for a school gym whose remote volume control is problematic.

A metal box with potentiometers has two DB25 cables (terminated one male, one female) which plug into corresponding male and female DB25 jacks in the bleachers. These connect to the back of an old analog Intelix mixer for volume control of inputs and master out.

The connectors have come loose from the bleacher-front plate, and the male DB25 has several bent pins. (See the photo.) The coaches want a simpler solution that won't break.

So I need a multipin connection (39 conductors carrying 5VDC control signal) that will be easy and robust for non-techies to use. I have seen Whirlwind MassCons fail in this application because the users bend pins from not being as careful as a roadie in plugging and unplugging the unit.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Ray Cerwinski

Re: Need easy, robust multipine connector for gym remote control
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 12:11:46 AM »

How about any combination of the below?

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/searchresults.aspx?dsNav=Ntk:Primary%7cmetal+circular+connector%7c3%7c,N:4294956764-4294965999&Term=metal+circular+connector

Those things will not allow the pins to even come in contact with the surface of the mating connector unless the keys are properly aligned.
Ray Cerwinski

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 12:20:36 AM »

How about any combination of the below?

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/searchresults.aspx?dsNav=Ntk:Primary%7cmetal+circular+connector%7c3%7c,N:4294956764-4294965999&Term=metal+circular+connector

Those things will not allow the pins to even come in contact with the surface of the mating connector unless the keys are properly aligned.

Thanks, Ray, I'll check that out in the morning. I did find Whirlwind's W1 series of 39 pin connectors, similar and just right size, got a quote already. I think Amphenol may make a compatible 39 pin.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 02:16:07 AM »

Whirlwind, Amphenol, ITT/Canon, Switchcraft, EDAC/ELCO, Ramtech Ramlatch (overkill on size but very rugged), etc.

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 09:46:29 AM »

I have used LK connectors on quite a few gym/multipurpose room installs without any issues.  The oldest ones are probably going on 10 years old.  AMP CPC connectors would be a less expensive choice but aren't as robust.
Doug J.

Jim Crews

• http://www.comaudsys.com
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 06:55:26 AM »

All that for a remote Volume control? Wow!
Might be time to nudge the client into a DSP based system with Cat 5 or Even "wireless" technology.

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 10:20:26 AM »

Yep, all that. Assuming it's this model Intelix.
Scott Hofmann

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 03:08:43 PM »

Might be time to nudge the client into a DSP based system with Cat 5 or Even "wireless" technology.

I was going to make the same suggestion. Even one of the new Mickie consoles might fit the bill well with only having to install it where the existing intelix frame is and change out a few connectors.

If your stuck changing the multipin then yes ampenol makes a "veam" style connector which has more robust pins then a W1. But remember they will make a better idiot.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 11:11:32 AM »

Yep, all that. Assuming it's this model Intelix.

It's the 8002MCV and 4001VC models from Intellix, which have the same control pin-out. Worst part: cant combine the grounds.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 08:36:41 AM »

That was quite common for many years where remote volume control meant literally inserting a potetiometer for remote controlling the control voltage to VCAs for the related signals or even the analog audio signals themselves.  Digital controls greatly simplified the control connectivity.

But you could also get creative and do things like have a wall plate with three fixed resistors and a switch labeled as "loud", "medium" and "soft" that gave three pre-defined levels for those that wanted super simplistic operation.  Try doing that for a few bucks with a new dgital console or mixer.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 12:06:55 PM »

But you could also get creative and do things like have a wall plate with three fixed resistors and a switch labeled as "loud", "medium" and "soft" that gave three pre-defined levels for those that wanted super simplistic operation.  Try doing that for a few bucks with a new dgital console or mixer.

It would be pretty easy on a CL series console. You can have up to 5 GPI inputs, which can each recall a scene where a master volume control could be set to any level. The focus of the scene would be just that one control, and the scene would be locked, and a high number to keep it out of the way. The system could be defeated by reloading a show without that control however. I don't use any of the security features, so I don't know if it is possible to lock that kind of thing against a reload. There was a console that had variable level on GPI inputs that would work as a remote volume control, but I don't remember what it was.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 12:06:55 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.