ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: LED lighting for video press events ?  (Read 7762 times)

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
LED lighting for video press events ?
« on: November 19, 2013, 08:47:23 AM »

I have some high end press events coming up that will rely on generator power or limited wall power.  Need to light a lectern only. Throw will be as short as 15 - 20 ft.  Are there any good solutions for low power draw, high output LED lighting instruments out there?

Scott Hofmann

Re: LED lighting for video press events ?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 09:30:20 AM »

Maybe look at www.fuellighting.com and their Angle Light product. Getting a pair today for rental use in lighting lecterns at banquet rooms with never any light on the guest speaker. Hopefully worth the expense. Seems to be incredibly well thought out.
Scott Hofmann

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 04:59:50 PM »

Maybe look at www.fuellighting.com and their Angle Light product. Getting a pair today for rental use in lighting lecterns at banquet rooms with never any light on the guest speaker. Hopefully worth the expense. Seems to be incredibly well thought out.
Scott,

They're quite small in size; I see them used mostly for pinspotting centerpieces.  They have a 3-degree beam angle, and the hot spot is sort of blobby, not nice and round.

You may want to reconsider it for a stage wash of any sort - I would.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 05:09:51 PM »

I have some high end press events coming up that will rely on generator power or limited wall power.  Need to light a lectern only. Throw will be as short as 15 - 20 ft.  Are there any good solutions for low power draw, high output LED lighting instruments out there?
ETC sells an LED model of the S4 ellipsoidal that emulates Tungsten lighting.

I have never used one or seen one at a show (that I'm aware of), but it's an option - maybe a rental house would have a couple.

Any particular reason why you want to go LED other than power draw?  Two 750W S4 lekos would draw about 1500W, one 15A circuit is spec'd for 1800W - and most in hotels, etc. are for higher than that.  If it's just a lectern special and you don't need to wash a larger area, you can get away with two, methinks.  It could be helpful to use ETC's lens calculator to double-check your beamwidth at such a close distance...a 36-degree or wider lens may be desirable.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 05:16:11 PM by Jordan Wolf »
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 05:30:42 PM »

Lowell lights are really popular for this. They would be the type of light used on pro video camera's hot shoe.

They have 12v or AC powered versions.

I have hung Lowell lights from drop ceiling grids.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 08:35:26 PM »

Jordan,
With all due respect, I don't think you looked at the information closely enough. Yes, they are designed as a pinspot, but for exactly the purpose I state, FUEL offers a "diffusion kit" and gives examples for uses of it:
http://fuellighting.com/collections/angle-light-diffusion/products/angle-light-diffusion
Seems to be Light Shaping Filter in 2, 5, 10,20 degree spreads. The reason I say "seems to be" is FUEL left them out of the 2-fixture kit I received today, so I can't absolutely say how well it works but will find out soon. I'm charging the batteries now so we'll see how bright they are. I'm not doing a stage wash; I'm lighting one person at a lectern.
Scott Hofmann

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 10:30:08 PM »

Scott,

I understand you're not doing a stagewash, but I think that either the beam spread will be adequate, but not bright enough OR it will be bright enough but not provide the necessary coverage (too narrow).

Please report back either way - I hope you find that the diffusion/beam shaping add-ons work for you.
Jordan Wolf
<><

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 01:38:57 PM »

This is the one I'm talking about.

http://www.lowel.com/prolight/

It's a 250 watt halogen. Bright, dimmable, flood/spot focusable, has a huge range of accessories, weighs next to nothing, tiny, and produces a nice even field.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

James Feenstra

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 04:01:30 PM »

Take a look at the Chroma Q Studio Force line...

Flicker free on video, low power draw, and any color temperature from daylight to tungsten;

http://www.chroma-q.com/products/studio-force-v-range.asp
http://www.chroma-q.com/products/studio-force-d-range.asp
http://www.chroma-q.com/products/studio-force-t-range.asp

the 12s clock in at about 1.2 amps each

I should note that we also make any of the above fixtures in DC (battery powered) versions, which are great for mobile use!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 10:10:46 AM by James Feenstra »
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 04:25:58 PM »

Check out Kino Flo

http://www.kinoflo.com/Products%20Button/Kits/Kits.html

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 11:27:10 AM »

I have an Angle Light.  I bought one to see if I should start buying them for pin spotting, and for that purpose the answer is a resounding yes.  But I would NEVER use one (or even several) for this purpose.  Kino Flo is the standard in video lighting, Source 4 is the standard in stage lighting a lectern.  My first choice would be the Source 4 LED because I'm familiar with it and I like having beam control (you won't really get that out of a Kino Flo).  If your gig is in the NJ/NYC/PHL area let me know and I can put you in contact with some LED S4's.

Josh Daws

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 11:05:11 AM »

try out the chauvet ovation. personally the color temp is a bit cool for my liking, but you can always warm it up a little with some color correct....but that aside its a great fixture at a really good price!

Sean Hayes

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 09:21:51 AM »

I highly recomend Rosco Lite Pads.
https://www.rosco.com/litepad/index.cfm

Since adding these to our rental inventory many of our regular customers have ditched the Arri kits in favor of these.

Worth a look.
Sean T. Hayes

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 09:21:51 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.