ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: One persons opinions of 4 digital consoles.  (Read 29042 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: One persons opinions of 4 digital consoles.
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 07:25:28 AM »

Should have used somebody who has never worked on any of these before to see which mixer they get lost on

Yes.  Seeing how quickly someone who has only used analog before gets on with these would be a good judge of usability.

Steve.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 07:56:36 AM »

I actually liked the way he glossed over each board. It was very similar to my first round of tests a couple of years ago. Unfortunately the X32 and Expression were not available and most of the boards I looked at where in the 10K range. But it opened my eyes.

Did he say the Expression was the only board to have touch screen capabilities? I don't seem to remember that as being the case, although that was some time ago.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 09:30:53 AM »

Thanks for posting that, Bob.  I enjoyed it.  Of course some of the fan boys who think their board is the best and only choice for everyone are not going to like it(or maybe not even watch the intire video).  So many people on these forums talk about boards and seem to judge them based on a "shopping list" of features whether or not they actually need those features.  It was interesting to get an opinion based on hands-on use.  In the heat of battle at a live gig with 15 minutes between shows, quickness and ease of use are more important than a list of features. Everyone's personal opinions can vary and be as legitimate as the next guy's.  I'm glad we have so many choices!  Thanks again!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 09:41:36 AM by Chuck Simon »

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 09:50:41 AM »

Yes.  Seeing how quickly someone who has only used analog before gets on with these would be a good judge of usability.

Steve.

I would like to see a video with a typical church volunteer....enthusiastic, willing to learn but has little or no experience......get about a 15 minute over view of each console and then told, "OK, you're now our Sunday sound guy." Then see which one is the easier to run. I think that would be more of a real world scenario.

Not trying to offend any church folks.  ;D

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 10:23:38 AM »

I think the console that should win would be the one that could fix that band's awful pitch and tuning.

Yup.  And the banjo "player" was awful big for the junior high level of musicianship.

Terrible band, terrible mix(es).  A wet paper bag would win over that "engineer".

And why do so many videos dealing with audio have sh**** sound?  I listen to a lot of music on YouTube which has very good sound quality.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 10:28:59 AM »

Yup.  And the banjo "player" was awful big for the junior high level of musicianship.

Terrible band, terrible mix(es).  A wet paper bag would win over that "engineer".

Really?  Man, that's cold and adds nothing to the conversation!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2013, 10:48:27 AM »

Chuck,

I'm pretty sure what dicks saying, and I agree with him, is that if you're going to the trouble of comparing the boards the sound quality of the video should have been much better than it was.

Case in point, if you listen to the intro a few times you'll very subtle differences in the tone of each board. However, this is YouTube and I don't think anyone in their right mind would buy a console based on a video, or at least I hope not.

I also don't agree with the comments concerning the Roland sound quality, another illustration of "opinion". My tests, using a JBL SRX system, proved the Soundcraft had the more pleasant high frequency sound, and a more versatile EQ even with upper and lower shelving instead of variable "Q" on those bands. However, I've made note in the past concerning the Soundcraft EQ, and the lack of full "Q" control on those frequencies amounts to a piss hole in the snow. I put the Roland second with sound quality in my tests, but moved the Roland off of my short list based on the user interface, including the number of moves required to access features, the need for the Ipad (he's not wrong there.),  and the black and white screen.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Chiara

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2013, 11:02:37 AM »

Chuck,

I'm pretty sure what dicks saying, and I agree with him, is that if you're going to the trouble of comparing the boards the sound quality of the video should have been much better than it was.

Case in point, if you listen to the intro a few times you'll very subtle differences in the tone of each board. However, this is YouTube and I don't think anyone in their right mind would buy a console based on a video, or at least I hope not.

I also don't agree with the comments concerning the Roland sound quality, another illustration of "opinion". My tests, using a JBL SRX system, proved the Soundcraft had the more pleasant high frequency sound, and a more versatile EQ even with upper and lower shelving instead of variable "Q" on those bands. However, I've made note in the past concerning the Soundcraft EQ, and the lack of full "Q" control on those frequencies amounts to a piss hole in the snow. I put the Roland second with sound quality in my tests, but moved the Roland off of my short list based on the user interface, including the number of moves required to access features, the need for the Ipad (he's not wrong there.),  and the black and white screen.

Not trying to be negative here. I thought the differences were far from subtle....which was my point. In the same room, same system, players, gear, mics and positions...I was struck by how different they were. Maybe there was not an adequate sub setup because the exaggerated low bass on the Soundcraft was excessive. I realize that churches and such need simple setups so everyone can understand, but then again, I am one of those that think that untrained volunteers should not be mixing important music.
YMMV.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2013, 11:47:08 AM »

Not trying to be negative here. I thought the differences were far from subtle....which was my point. In the same room, same system, players, gear, mics and positions...I was struck by how different they were. Maybe there was not an adequate sub setup because the exaggerated low bass on the Soundcraft was excessive. I realize that churches and such need simple setups so everyone can understand, but then again, I am one of those that think that untrained volunteers should not be mixing important music.
YMMV.
I liked the video, but agree with many of the objections here.  I don't think it is useless, but it is what it is.

I think Bob presented it quite correctly "one persons opinion".

I also think that there is a different set of criteria for different users.  This is not addressed by the video at all.

People that do festivals will need more channel count, easy channel identification, and fast setup changes between groups .... possibly even on multiple stages.  This kind of user is going to have very different needs than a band who always uses the same setup at every gig.

The remote app for all the units were not evaluated at all.  For some people this is a make or break buying decision today.

The recording ability wasn't even mentioned.  Again, to some users, this feature is a key buying decision.

I don't understand how the recordings could be so far apart either.  It is like the guy doesn't know how to use a GEQ.  If he wanted more top end on the Soundcraft .... why not put more there?  If the X32 had a bit too much .... you get my point.

There shouldn't have been such big differences between the sound on these mixers IMHO.  That appears to point to a lack of skill on the part of the operator.

Thanks for posting Bob.  It was an interesting shoot-out.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 02:57:45 PM »

BTW, these guys also did an "audio output comparison" here: http://www.sonicsense.com/blog/mixers-consoles/presonus-studiolive-32-4-2-ai-vs-studiolive-24-4-2

Which compares two different StudioLives, the X32 and Soundcraft Expression, but not the Roland.

I find it interesting that he seemed to think the X32 was the most user-friendly, might be telling of what kind of consoles he's worked with in the past.

I didn't put much stock in the differences I heard given the circumstances (although the link above appeared to be a much more clinical test), but, I was interested in hearing the opinion of someone who actually got to try them all. I'm kind of surprised he liked the Roland's effects so much, I feel like that's a weaker area of the console.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 02:57:45 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 25 queries.