ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: One persons opinions of 4 digital consoles.  (Read 29319 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
One persons opinions of 4 digital consoles.
« on: November 15, 2013, 10:43:58 PM »

X32, Expression, Presonus, Roland side by side. YMMV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaK-yaGB0BA
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: One persons opinions of 4 digital consoles.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 11:02:44 PM »

Well, Presonus has an updated model since then and the Qu-16 is out at last.  How quickly things change...

« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:04:55 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Chiara

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 12:22:52 AM »

So he has an hour with each board and states that he liked the Presonus because it has subgroups? I didn't even listen past there. Plus we can't hear him mix on the consoles, we hear a static mix. He is mixing 4 different performances. And we are hearing a board mix.
Add up all the variables....
This is basically worthless.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 12:33:23 AM by John Chiara »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 12:29:22 AM »

And hence the YMMV John.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

John Chiara

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 12:36:51 AM »

And hence the YMMV John.

I don't see how you get any mileage at all. There is not enough information to even form a casual opinion. They should have included a mix from an XL4 so we would at least have a reference.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 03:49:33 AM »

I think the console that should win would be the one that could fix that band's awful pitch and tuning.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 04:24:02 AM »

OK guys, let's not pound the shit out of me. I found this thing on the net and thought it might be a starting point for people who have never seen these boards, if followed by some constructive criticism .

And John, you said you didn't watch the entire video. How valuable does that make your opinion? At least give the guy his due. He used them all without any prior hands on and gave his unbiased opinion of the features he liked and didn't like. So for those who have never seen or used these boards the demo is at least as good as half the posts I've read on this site.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 05:32:45 AM »

OK guys, let's not pound the shit out of me. I found this thing on the net and thought it might be a starting point for people who have never seen these boards, if followed by some constructive criticism .

And John, you said you didn't watch the entire video. How valuable does that make your opinion? At least give the guy his due. He used them all without any prior hands on and gave his unbiased opinion of the features he liked and didn't like. So for those who have never seen or used these boards the demo is at least as good as half the posts I've read on this site.

Bob.  In this situation I wholehartedly agree with you.  Have a nice weekend!:)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 06:45:34 AM »

There is no way to really evaluate the sound quality of these mixers via a Youtube sound track.  The fact that the sound is a little different for each isn't really relevant.

Videos like these and the various tutorials available however are useful in showing how they operate.

Of the four, I have only used an X32 and before I used it, I watched a few videos.  I didn't have to configure it so I was only interested in how to use sends on faders for effects and monitors.  This gave me enough knowledge to use it without referring to the pages of the manual I had printed out or the notes I had written for myself - lucky really, considering I had left them at home!

The talk through comparing these consoles is the valuable part of this video, especially for someone who is not sure what they want to buy.

Everyone's needs are different and things like this might point out something which a potential customer was not aware of which might swing it one way or another.

As an example, the company I sometimes work for has a Soundcraft Si Compact and Expression.  Knowing that I will one day be using them, I watched a few Youtube videos and instantly decided that I liked the Soundcraft's row of switches for instant sends on faders better than the Behringer's two button press to get to the same thing.  Based on that, If I were looking to buy, I would probably be swayed towards the Soundcraft although I have nothing bad to say about the Behringer.

If you cannot be in a position to trial every option yourself, these videos provide a useful overview and give you a better understanding of what is available, both for potential buyers and potential users.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 07:21:27 AM »

I thought it was OK. But it is one person's opinion though. The biggest problem is that I wasn't there to hear and see the entire performance for myself.

He has obviously worked on all of these before. Couldn't really tell if one console was harder to figure out than another. Should have used somebody who has never worked on any of these before to see which mixer they get lost on and used somebody who has no preconceived opinion prior to making this video. Although that person may be hard to find.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 07:23:49 AM by Jamin Lynch »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 07:21:27 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.