ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: One persons opinions of 4 digital consoles.  (Read 20947 times)

John Chiara

Re: One persons opinions of 4 digital consoles.
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2013, 05:12:12 pm »

BTW, these guys also did an "audio output comparison" here: http://www.sonicsense.com/blog/mixers-consoles/presonus-studiolive-32-4-2-ai-vs-studiolive-24-4-2

Which compares two different StudioLives, the X32 and Soundcraft Expression, but not the Roland.

I find it interesting that he seemed to think the X32 was the most user-friendly, might be telling of what kind of consoles he's worked with in the past.

I didn't put much stock in the differences I heard given the circumstances (although the link above appeared to be a much more clinical test), but, I was interested in hearing the opinion of someone who actually got to try them all. I'm kind of surprised he liked the Roland's effects so much, I feel like that's a weaker area of the console.

I mixed 6 bands on a Roland last year. I thought it sounded good...as much as i could tell with the 2 VRX on a stick setup. The system tech could not give me a tap delay but I am a big fan of Roland SRV verbs do I liked the reverb. I am assuming similar FX quality.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2013, 05:18:08 pm »

Really?  Man, that's cold and adds nothing to the conversation!

And your comment adds......what???

Seriously, if you think that the "mix" produced by the "engineer" had any merit whatsoever, you'll have to think again.

Every stinkin' facet of the thing, from conception through to posting on DaTube was so far from competent as to be laughable.  It's sort of like comparing the up-chucked contents of someones stomach to an actually edible meal.

How's that for "cold"?

But it's not funny even then.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Bolt

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2013, 06:47:22 pm »

I mixed 6 bands on a Roland last year. I thought it sounded good...as much as i could tell with the 2 VRX on a stick setup. The system tech could not give me a tap delay but I am a big fan of Roland SRV verbs do I liked the reverb. I am assuming similar FX quality.
I have heard a mixed bag on the Roland verbs, but have heard more good than bad.

This mixer seems to get bumped off the short list of many people due to its price compared to other mixers that rely on a tablet for a mixing surface.

It seems like Roland took a hybrid approach and didn't quite capture the hearts and minds of either use case (totally iPad Mixing, or mixing from the physical interface).

michael glenn

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2013, 07:54:32 pm »

After this sound mixer guy gave his thoughts on the Soundcraft, that was the mixer for me! Then he said some nice things bout the x32 so then that was what I was going to buy. I kept watching and then the Presonus looked really good and I put in an order at Sweetwater. Then I noticed he liked the Roland fx so I cancelled the Presonus order and got the Roland.  Sure enough, at the end of the video, mixer guy pulled a Jerry Springer on me and gave his final closing thoughts on the four contenders. I cancelled the Roland order.  I will watch this again later and make a truly uninformed decision based on the wealth of information he gave. 

All I know for sure is after watching this video I have to get rid of my LS9's and get something different.

I have heard a mixed bag on the Roland verbs, but have heard more good than bad.

This mixer seems to get bumped off the short list of many people due to its price compared to other mixers that rely on a tablet for a mixing surface.

It seems like Roland took a hybrid approach and didn't quite capture the hearts and minds of either use case (totally iPad Mixing, or mixing from the physical interface).

Darren Scaresbrook

• Adelaide, South Australia
    • Concert Systems Australia
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2013, 08:45:25 pm »

He mentions a couple of times how he likes to be able to double bus things.
It surprises me how many people do this with no understanding of the problems it causes in a digital console.

Darren

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2013, 09:40:57 pm »

Looks like everyone is having fun now. Glad I could help. ;D

By the way, after I looked at the demo the second time I pulled my Expression out of the rack and went back to my APB. If that doesn't work I have an old Mackie 1640. At least it has the much sought after recording interface.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 09:42:59 pm by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2013, 09:47:01 pm »

Roland developed their effects for their sound modules and they are at least as good as many lower priced effects units, and often times much better. I use them all the time with my MIDI sequences and XV-5080 sound modules, which new cost $2K each, so I expected them to be good in comparison to the older module effects from days gone by.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Darren Scaresbrook

• Adelaide, South Australia
    • Concert Systems Australia
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2013, 10:10:22 pm »

Looks like everyone is having fun now. Glad I could help. ;D

By the way, after I looked at the demo the second time I pulled my Expression out of the rack and went back to my APB. If that doesn't work I have an old Mackie 1640. At least it has the much sought after recording interface.

Bob, I think it is quite a useful video.
There are waaaay too many variables to assess sound quality in this way, but info about the features and user interface is always helpful.

Darren

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2013, 10:41:59 pm »

After this sound mixer guy gave his thoughts on the Soundcraft, that was the mixer for me! Then he said some nice things bout the x32 so then that was what I was going to buy. I kept watching and then the Presonus looked really good and I put in an order at Sweetwater. Then I noticed he liked the Roland fx so I cancelled the Presonus order and got the Roland.  Sure enough, at the end of the video, mixer guy pulled a Jerry Springer on me and gave his final closing thoughts on the four contenders. I cancelled the Roland order.  I will watch this again later and make a truly uninformed decision based on the wealth of information he gave. 

All I know for sure is after watching this video I have to get rid of my LS9's and get something different.

Satire is duly noted.  8)
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2013, 10:45:27 pm »

Roland developed their effects for their sound modules and they are at least as good as many lower priced effects units, and often times much better. I use them all the time with my MIDI sequences and XV-5080 sound modules, which new cost $2K each, so I expected them to be good in comparison to the older module effects from days gone by.

Anyone remember the Ibanez SDR-1000?  Sony was the OEM and the reverbs were pretty darn good for the day.  I liked my Lexicon LXP15 more, but the SDR had a really nice Large Hall and a "just right" plate that seemed to work on almost anything.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2013, 10:45:27 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 24 queries.