ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New CL5 Console Case—Nosecone or Not?  (Read 14235 times)

Scott Helmke

Re: New CL5 Console Case—Nosecone or Not?
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 02:14:49 PM »

The use of a tilt stand on anything smaller and lighter than a PM5D strikes me as ludicrous.

High-back consoles like the CL5 are kind of a hassle on a tilter, actually. The weight distribution towards the back means that it's generally easier just to flop the case down on the floor, take off the lid, and lift the tray onto a stand or a roadcase. And the CL series are pretty light in weight, very easy to wrangle with two people.

I'll add my vote for having a nosecone cap.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 02:26:44 PM »

The use of a tilt stand on anything smaller and lighter than a PM5D strikes me as ludicrous.

Mac

Mac, where's the sport in that?  I'll have to dig around, but somewhere I have a pic of a DM1000 on an Easy Tilt, next to a Midas XL250 on a tipper.

Consistency of presentation. 8)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Doug Hammel

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 03:46:01 PM »

I am sure that the DM1000 was just barely wide enough for the easytilt. But you are right, consistency.  ;D

Mac, where's the sport in that?  I'll have to dig around, but somewhere I have a pic of a DM1000 on an Easy Tilt, next to a Midas XL250 on a tipper.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 03:52:42 PM »

I guess more hideous is better than less.   ::)

Those EZ Tilts are real helpful when your FOH position is on a riser (not).

Mac

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 04:40:58 PM »

We're talking about a CL-5 here, 1 person can tip the case, and you need 2 people for 30 seconds to remove the lid and lift the console onto the table or stand. You would need those same 2 people to remove the lid anyway.

I guess the clubs you go to are different than the ones I see. There is rarely room at FOH to store the console case. There is also limited space to tip a tilt stand, which requires a lot of floor space compared to the console footprint. The use of a tilt stand on anything smaller and lighter than a PM5D strikes me as ludicrous.

Mac

I use an easy-tilt on both DM 2000 and LS9 and I can tilt and uncase those by myself with very little effort.  Both have a noscone case.  I can put the top lid back on by myself also, but I prefer to have a helper.  I know of several people who have the same MO with the CL5.

On the DM2000 the dimensions work out perfectly so that after the console is tilted and the mixer is slid towards the "front" of the stand, the rear fits just perfectly into the empty case when standing on it's castors.  If there is very little room somewhere, obviously the empty case is removed, and the desk can be slid all the way toward the "rear" of the easy tilt, leaving the mixerperson standing between the top "rails" of the easytilt. Since the desk is so narrow, and I often use a bar stool, I hardly ever find myself bumping my hips into the rails.

The easy-tilts we use are very smooth underneath and on most surfaces it's quite easy to tilt the mixer where there is room, and then slide the desk into the Perfect location.  I can do that by myself also.

I also like to store stuff underneath the mixer, "inside" the easy-tilt.

I don't know how the clubs you frequent are laid out, but it sounds different.  I can't ever recall using a mixing riser in a club.

Thomas Dameron

• SR Forums
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 10:02:03 PM »

I'm in the pro nosecone camp.  I find it easier to deal with, keeps the over all case dimensions down.  It seems like a no brainer.  It also makes it very easy to access controls and i/o under the armrest.  In a two piece case it either has to be very tall, have a very thin tray, or have a goofy removable panel.

I really like the idea of the R&R/MT/etc style captive console tray for a CL.  I've seen a few with that plus a rack space or two underneath to mount UPS and network gear.  If you don't go that way, I would leave plenty of room in the doghouse for that stuff.  I like it out of the way like that and don't see any utility in getting at that stuff from the front of the mixer.  It shouldn't take too much room, especially compared to the old days with the analog multis jamed in there.  Side note, I find it annoying and unnecessary to have an separate companion rack for most of these consoles.  I would much prefer to have more stuff in a larger doghouse than need to find a place for a separate rack.  For instance today I have an Ls9 that has a separate rack for a CD player that I never use, a UPS, and some rack drawers.  It's one more thing to find a place for in a relatively tight FOH position. 

One word of warning if you're building your own.  I have worked on a couple of one off small nosecone cases where if you lean on the arm rest at all, the back of the console starts to tip up.  With these consoles there isn't a lot of mass in the back of it, and there isn't a big wad of copper in the back.  Seems to me that the captive tray solves this one too.

thomas d.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 08:32:10 PM »

You need one of the Transformer cases by Rock Hard
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 08:35:54 PM »

You need one of the Transformer cases by Rock Hard

That really is a transformation! When you open the case it has an M7 in it, when full open it turns into an iLive.

Mac

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 09:05:17 PM »

That really is a transformation! When you open the case it has an M7 in it, when full open it turns into an iLive.

Mac

And when you are doing a video shoot it turns into a Midas Pro 2.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 09:48:34 AM »

The high fixed vertical mechanical layout of consoles - Soundcraft Vi, Yamaha CL, M7, etc - demonstrates how sensible console transport has left the radar.

Amps, speakers, monitors, digital snakes, etc., all reflect the ongoing need for more function in less space. Why haven't the console manufacturers also embraced this need? Trucking around unnecessary airspace sucks.

CL's and Vi's cry out for a mid-hinge!..Or perhaps the mobile end of the console business isn't a big factor anymore.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 09:48:34 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.