ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whats up with my line 6 wireless?  (Read 6048 times)

Conrad Muzoora

• Mbarara, Uganda. www.koolinvestments.co.ug
    • Kool Events Uganda
Whats up with my line 6 wireless?
« on: November 15, 2013, 01:55:29 AM »

Dear All,

I have made a reasonable investment in line 6 wireless and have 2 line 6 v70 and 3 line 6 v30 all with handheld mics. These replaced a bunch of shure slx that were all rendered useless by a local television transmitter.
The line 6 have worked like champs with superior sound and much better range until about 2 months ago when they started to experience some drop outs at short line of sight distances. I would then switch channels with some success, however last Saturday, mid gig, one of the line 6 v30 receivers suddenly unleashed a hissing noise (Kind of like an FM radio station gone off air). The lights on the receiver were showing that there was full signal (And full batteries) but there was the hissing noise nevertheless. I changed to channel 2 and it was still there! Switched to my backup shure pgx and all was well.
Back at home the next day, i tested the mics and all of them work fine and all the channels work! Now there has been a new digital TV transmitter installed in my town in the recent months, could this be the culprit, should  i worry that all my mics will be rendered useless as my country transitions to digital free to air Television?

Conrad
www.kooleventug.com

Jerome Malsack

Re: Whats up with my line 6 wireless?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 09:18:17 AM »

If it was the Digital TV station it should have been present when setting up and starting.  You were being jammed and the squelch on the receiver was allowing the FM hiss in.  If your system does not have the squelch control then there is little you can do to prevent the hiss. 

Check the Frequencies that the devices are running.  500 mhz and 600 mhz. 
if the two are in different bands than that will tell you part of the problem. 

Find out what channel the Digital TV stations are broadcasting and see what bands of uhf that interferes with  500 or 600. 

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 11:39:05 AM »

If it was the Digital TV station it should have been present when setting up and starting.  You were being jammed and the squelch on the receiver was allowing the FM hiss in.  If your system does not have the squelch control then there is little you can do to prevent the hiss. 

Find out what channel the Digital TV stations are broadcasting and see what bands of uhf that interferes with  500 or 600.
Its my understanding these work in the 2.4 gig range
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 11:49:49 AM »

Seriously?
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 12:04:14 PM »

Conrad, the new DTV station should not be causing the interference you're describing for the Line6 mics. The DTV is lower-band UHF and the Line6 is in the 2.4GHz ISM band. I notice that your location is Uganda, so I can only assume rules and regulations for radio use, I don't kow for sure. I would check to see if you have heavy wi-fi saturation or another 2.4GHz device where you were having the issues because the Line6 mics have to share that spectrum with many other devices. If it was someplace like a school or office building that has a distributed wi-fi network with multiple access points it could render the spectrum too noisy for the Line6 mics.

Steve or Don from Line6 may pop-up here and help you out.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 12:08:30 PM »

Conrad, the new DTV station should not be causing the interference you're describing for the Line6 mics. The DTV is lower-band UHF and the Line6 is in the 2.4GHz ISM band. I notice that your location is Uganda, so I can only assume rules and regulations for radio use, I don't kow for sure. I would check to see if you have heavy wi-fi saturation or another 2.4GHz device where you were having the issues because the Line6 mics have to share that spectrum with many other devices. If it was someplace like a school or office building that has a distributed wi-fi network with multiple access points it could render the spectrum too noisy for the Line6 mics.

Steve or Don from Line6 may pop-up here and help you out.
2.4GHz Broadcast — License Free, Worldwide

"Traditional analog wireless microphone systems are susceptible to increasing numbers of interference sources. Ensuring peace of mind and the most reliable operation, XD-V75 systems operate in the 2.4GHz ISM band, which is free from interference due to TV broadcasts, white space devices, cell phone towers and other transmitting devices.

And if you’re confused by the license fees needed to operate an analog wireless system, don’t worry: Line 6 digital wireless systems eliminate that need. XD-V75 systems are fully FCC compliant and operate license free worldwide, from Hollywood to Tokyo."

Not my first choice for frequency range for pro wireless!

« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 12:10:46 PM by Keith Broughton »

Quenton Haynes

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 12:13:26 PM »

Conrad, take a look at this post from Line 6 Website. It will give you instructions on how to switch modes. If you are operating multiple units they must also operate on the same mode.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/live-sound/xdv-digital-wireless-microphones/rf1rf2-mode-switching-frequencies-r90

Dear All,

I have made a reasonable investment in line 6 wireless and have 2 line 6 v70 and 3 line 6 v30 all with handheld mics. These replaced a bunch of shure slx that were all rendered useless by a local television transmitter.
The line 6 have worked like champs with superior sound and much better range until about 2 months ago when they started to experience some drop outs at short line of sight distances. I would then switch channels with some success, however last Saturday, mid gig, one of the line 6 v30 receivers suddenly unleashed a hissing noise (Kind of like an FM radio station gone off air). The lights on the receiver were showing that there was full signal (And full batteries) but there was the hissing noise nevertheless. I changed to channel 2 and it was still there! Switched to my backup shure pgx and all was well.
Back at home the next day, i tested the mics and all of them work fine and all the channels work! Now there has been a new digital TV transmitter installed in my town in the recent months, could this be the culprit, should  i worry that all my mics will be rendered useless as my country transitions to digital free to air Television?

Conrad
www.kooleventug.com
Quenton Haynes
Event Services of Virginia

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 02:10:32 PM »

Hello Conrad

There is no squelch circuitry as such in Line 6 wireless.  So even if you were bombarded by interference (from any frequency) it would not produce hiss or noise at the output of the receiver.  If you were actually getting noise at the output I would suspect defective hardware.

It is possible that some interference could produce noise into the cable of a lav mic  or a mic element in a handheld mic (although there are filters included for that) or into your output cable.  Are you using the balanced XLR outputs?

Are you using the built-in antenna distribution system with the V70's?  Have you updated to the newest firmware?  Did you install the terminators?
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Conrad Muzoora

• Kool Events Uganda
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 02:24:44 PM »

Conrad, take a look at this post from Line 6 Website. It will give you instructions on how to switch modes. If you are operating multiple units they must also operate on the same mode.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/live-sound/xdv-digital-wireless-microphones/rf1rf2-mode-switching-frequencies-r90

Hi all,
Thanks for the replies. I have been operating in the rf1 mode and don't have a v75 receiver to change my v30 and v70 to the rf2 mode. Should i invest in a v75 receiver? Had to buy a v75 hand held transmitter once for my v70 receiver but changed that to rf1!
I really need to save my investment in line 6. Helllllllllllllllllllllllp! I never use more than 2 line 6 units at one venue.
Conrad
www.kooleventug.com

Conrad Muzoora

• Kool Events Uganda
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 02:42:23 PM »

Hello Conrad

There is no squelch circuitry as such in Line 6 wireless.  So even if you were bombarded by interference (from any frequency) it would not produce hiss or noise at the output of the receiver.  If you were actually getting noise at the output I would suspect defective hardware.

It is possible that some interference could produce noise into the cable of a lav mic  or a mic element in a handheld mic (although there are filters included for that) or into your output cable.  Are you using the balanced XLR outputs?

Are you using the built-in antenna distribution system with the V70's?  Have you updated to the newest firmware?  Did you install the terminators?
Hi Don,
Thanks for coming to my rescue. I was using only 1 line 6 v30 device at the time with one shure pgx transmitter that was switched off at the time. what do you mean by terminators? I Have also used 2 v70 systems that have kind of malfunctioned in terms of reduced range, but not the hissing noise as the v30 unit did. How do i update to the newest software? I really need then line 6 to work!!!!Helllllllllllllllllllllllllllp.
Please help.
Conrad.
www.kooleventug.com

Conrad Muzoora

• Kool Events Uganda
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 02:49:26 PM »

Nice thought Jerome,

At sound check- 10 am the line 6 actually outperformed the shure pgx in range. At exactly 6pm, the line 6 started hissing.Thought that the transmitter had been dropped and broken, only to be surprised that it worked fine at my garage the next day!
Conrad

Barnett Suratt

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 01:05:56 AM »

Hi Don,
Thanks for coming to my rescue. I was using only 1 line 6 v30 device at the time with one shure pgx transmitter that was switched off at the time. what do you mean by terminators? I Have also used 2 v70 systems that have kind of malfunctioned in terms of reduced range, but not the hissing noise as the v30 unit did. How do i update to the newest software? I really need then line 6 to work!!!!Helllllllllllllllllllllllllllp.
Please help.
Conrad.
www.kooleventug.com

The 2.4GHz bnd also has computer modems, cordless phones, and many other wireless devices sharing that band.    You likely were getting interference from some other device in the building or nearby. (Did you have a laptop with wireless modem?)  Changing channels may or may not correct this.   Putting receiver very close to mics may help.    Bad choice of frequency band for pro wireless mic.

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 08:22:24 AM »

Hi Conrad
If you have an android device that support dual radios (latest nexus 7 tablet is an example) you can install an inexpensive app to show the presence of 2.4 and 5gHz at the venue. Without the ability to see what else is operating at the time the interference occurs the ability to troubleshoot will be limited. As it worked fine prior to 6pm it would indicate that something was turned on at that time or that there were too many 2.4 devices present in the frequency band. Can the line6 devices operate at 5 gHz? That would be less crowded (for now) but a wi- fi scanner or app will show you what is really going on.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 08:45:32 AM »

Hi Conrad
If you have an android device that support dual radios (latest nexus 7 tablet is an example) you can install an inexpensive app to show the presence of 2.4 and 5gHz at the venue. Without the ability to see what else is operating at the time the interference occurs the ability to troubleshoot will be limited. As it worked fine prior to 6pm it would indicate that something was turned on at that time or that there were too many 2.4 devices present in the frequency band. Can the line6 devices operate at 5 gHz? That would be less crowded (for now) but a wi- fi scanner or app will show you what is really going on.
Check out this application for detecting WiFi networks and signal strength
http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 08:45:32 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 24 queries.