ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL STX835 vs EAW KF650z  (Read 16053 times)

Maidson Pierre-Louis

• www.maidiaproductions.com
JBL STX835 vs EAW KF650z
« on: November 14, 2013, 09:49:16 AM »

I'm curently using the JBl SRX722 ... thinking about upgrade to the STX835 model. Before i do so. I want your Opinion.

EAW KF650z
Compact Virtual Array™ three-way system
• Vented, LF horn-loaded MF/HF (60° x 45° coverage pattern)
• 15-in LF,10-in MF, 3-in voice coil/1.4-in exit HF
• Switchable powering: Tri-amp or Bi-amp (passive LF/MF)
Passive LF/MF: 135

VS

JBL STX835
Coverage Pattern      :     60˚ × 40˚ nominal
LF Driver: 2 x (15 in) Vented Gap Cooled™ woofer
MF Driver: 1 x Midrange Compression Driver (8 in)
HF Driver: 1 x (3 in) voice coil
Maximum SPL: 134 dB SPL peak
• System Sensitivity: 96 dB SPL (passive mode)
(1 Watt@ 1 Meter)
• Mid / High Sensitivty: 108 db SPL (bi-amp mode) (1 Watt @ 1 Meter)

As Far amplifiers - Im using the crown Itech 6000 and 8000.

Rick Alan

Re: JBL STX835 vs EAW KF650z
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 03:44:22 PM »

Interesting question.  I know a lot of people have used EAW KF650 on here but have not seen many reviews on STX 835.

I'm curently using the JBl SRX722 ... thinking about upgrade to the STX835 model. Before i do so. I want your Opinion.

EAW KF650z

VS

JBL STX835
(1 Watt@ 1 Meter)

John Penkala

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 08:08:36 AM »

EAW KF650z

VS

JBL STX835
(1 Watt@ 1 Meter)

I was really hoping that someone would chime in with an A/B comparison opinion. However, I can just say that the KF650z, tri-amped, with EAW's UX8800 processor sounds fantastic. Flatbread, a venue on Martha's Vinyard has a small KF650z rig, two per side. Earlier this year they replaced a dbx 480 with a UX8800 and the difference was remarkable.

JP

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 01:14:58 PM »

I've always on here that the UX8800 is the way to go for these EAW boxes. If you are using iTech, maybe consider STX.

John Chiara

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 09:11:03 PM »

I've always on here that the UX8800 is the way to go for these EAW boxes. If you are using iTech, maybe consider STX.

Again, for small setups that don't need networking the UX 3600 is literally half the price. There is no focusing going on in the sub outputs

Maidson Pierre-Louis

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 10:23:30 PM »

ok

I want to know if anyone in the forum using the JBL STX835, Share your experience.
Cause' I was not to happy when i purchased JBL SRX735 i had to switch for  SRX722, im try to avoid that mistake.

chuck clark

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 11:26:53 PM »

Maidson, here is your mid size truck magic!  Have a look at the Community SLS 960. It will amazingly hit peaks of 141db!  No special processor necessary. I use a regular DBX driverack set to bi-amp crossed at 100hz w/ 24db/octave LR filters.  Almost too easy! The amount of punch and clarity must be heard to be believed. I have owned SRX Jbl and Eaw and like them both but I see you are looking for something with that extra bit of output. The type of music you are doing is midrange rich and the 8 in. driver is kind of the weak spot on the models you mention whereas the patented midrange driver in the community is it's strong point You should give these a serious look. The only boxes I know of that get louder than these are the very expensive 3 way line arrays with double and triple midrange drivers.   Happy sailing!

Maidson Pierre-Louis

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 06:35:01 PM »

Maidson, here is your mid size truck magic!  Have a look at the Community SLS 960. It will amazingly hit peaks of 141db!  No special processor necessary. I use a regular DBX driverack set to bi-amp crossed at 100hz w/ 24db/octave LR filters.  Almost too easy! The amount of punch and clarity must be heard to be believed. I have owned SRX Jbl and Eaw and like them both but I see you are looking for something with that extra bit of output. The type of music you are doing is midrange rich and the 8 in. driver is kind of the weak spot on the models you mention whereas the patented midrange driver in the community is it's strong point You should give these a serious look. The only boxes I know of that get louder than these are the very expensive 3 way line arrays with double and triple midrange drivers.   Happy sailing!

thx Chuck.

It's being a while i being looking for 4 Community sls960 online ... no luck 

Josh Billings

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 12:41:03 AM »

There is a lot of processing needed to get the SLS960s to sound natural. It's not just a "high pass at 100" box.

+ IF you're doing anything with bass/midbass they may not be the boxes for you because they are weak under 200 hz or so and virtually nonexistent under 100 hz. That said they are a great all around box, just weren't a good fit for dance music (what we do).

Josh Billings

Maidson Pierre-Louis

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 03:08:10 AM »

There is a lot of processing needed to get the SLS960s to sound natural. It's not just a "high pass at 100" box.

+ IF you're doing anything with bass/midbass they may not be the boxes for you because they are weak under 200 hz or so and virtually nonexistent under 100 hz. That said they are a great all around box, just weren't a good fit for dance music (what we do).

Josh Billings

Josh - what will you recommend?

chuck clark

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 03:43:30 AM »

There's a lot of misunderstanding about this. The truth is they sound astoundingly natural on the human voice with NO processing. I mean SM 58 into small Behringer mixer w/ NO eq occurring on the channel strip. Output of mixer goes straight into any killer amp that will put an honest 1000 Watts into each box. They will rip your face off. OK there was a 30 hz subsonic filter and a clipping eliminator engaged on the power amp -that's IT!  Not even a 1/3 octave eq. What happens is Community's patented low compression horn technology yields WAY less harmonic distortion than most spkrs have and that most people are used to hearing as a major clue that the speaker is nearing its limits. This means they are deceptively loud and clear and although that strong purity above 400 hz makes it easier to get vocals on top of the mix, and sounds great on vocals it tends to NOT sound optimal for music playback especially metal. Engineers who don't understand whats going on start fiddling w/ the processor to try to "fix" it and weirdness ensues. I started using a tube processor to add back some harmonic "warmth" and pulling 400hz to 1khz on the graphic eq down about 3 to 5 db.  All good. Stand back and let it rip! I've run these outdoors and had people tell me they sounded totally clear and natural over 1/4 mile away!   

chuck clark

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 03:50:41 AM »

Yeah, they are difficult to find used cause nobody that owns 'em seems to want to part w/ them. Ha! (rats!)
Do you need the name of a good reputable dealer who will give the good price?

John Chiara

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 03:06:20 PM »

Yeah, they are difficult to find used cause nobody that owns 'em seems to want to part w/ them. Ha! (rats!)
Do you need the name of a good reputable dealer who will give the good price?

I have 6 of them. Not selling...:)

Alexander B Larsson

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 07:08:49 PM »

There's a lot of misunderstanding about this. The truth is they sound astoundingly natural on the human voice with NO processing. I mean SM 58 into small Behringer mixer w/ NO eq occurring on the channel strip. Output of mixer goes straight into any killer amp that will put an honest 1000 Watts into each box. They will rip your face off. OK there was a 30 hz subsonic filter and a clipping eliminator engaged on the power amp -that's IT!  Not even a 1/3 octave eq. What happens is Community's patented low compression horn technology yields WAY less harmonic distortion than most spkrs have and that most people are used to hearing as a major clue that the speaker is nearing its limits. This means they are deceptively loud and clear and although that strong purity above 400 hz makes it easier to get vocals on top of the mix, and sounds great on vocals it tends to NOT sound optimal for music playback especially metal. Engineers who don't understand whats going on start fiddling w/ the processor to try to "fix" it and weirdness ensues. I started using a tube processor to add back some harmonic "warmth" and pulling 400hz to 1khz on the graphic eq down about 3 to 5 db.  All good. Stand back and let it rip! I've run these outdoors and had people tell me they sounded totally clear and natural over 1/4 mile away!

I have six SLS920s and while I agree regarding the clarity, "throw" and output, there is NO way I could ever run them without processor on any of my gigs. I have the 2kHz area cut back about 15dB... No boost in any area, just a lot of cutting in the mids. For low SPL gigs (acoustic Jazz & singer songwriter stuff) I can run them all the way down to 125Hz but for most gig I cross over at 250Hz, 24 dB/octave.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 12:12:31 AM »

ok

I want to know if anyone in the forum using the JBL STX835, Share your experience.
Cause' I was not to happy when i purchased JBL SRX735 i had to switch for  SRX722, im try to avoid that mistake.

I don't own them but have done a few jobs with the 835. The 835 is nothing like the 738. The 738 with it's 18" bottom driver was designed for two (2) speaker DJ systems, as in two speakers and no subs. The 835 was designed as a true three (3) way box and follows the design of the VP series cabinets for much less money, while still using high quality JBL components and construction. I have a huge investment in JBL cabinets which are at this point all SRX725 and SRX718. If this were not the fact I would be spending my money on the 835s, and if I ever sell the 725s, the box I go to will definitely be the 835. This box is truly one of the best kept secrets in the world of sound today.

And for those following along I still own and use the JBL 2242 fitted 551P-TAC subs, which compliment a 728 or 718 perfectly.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 01:45:20 AM »

I don't own them but have done a few jobs with the 835. The 835 is nothing like the 738. The 738 with it's 18" bottom driver was designed for two (2) speaker DJ systems, as in two speakers and no subs. The 835 was designed as a true three (3) way box and follows the design of the VP series cabinets for much less money, while still using high quality JBL components and construction. I have a huge investment in JBL cabinets which are at this point all SRX725 and SRX718. If this were not the fact I would be spending my money on the 835s, and if I ever sell the 725s, the box I go to will definitely be the 835. This box is truly one of the best kept secrets in the world of sound today.

And for those following along I still own and use the JBL 2242 fitted 551P-TAC subs, which compliment a 728 or 718 perfectly.

Just got ourselves a pair of the 835's, with another pair coming soon. A couple of gigs so far, havnt pushed them, but real happy.
My RTA is always flat.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 11:41:17 AM »

I have six SLS920s and while I agree regarding the clarity, "throw" and output, there is NO way I could ever run them without processor on any of my gigs. I have the 2kHz area cut back about 15dB... No boost in any area, just a lot of cutting in the mids. For low SPL gigs (acoustic Jazz & singer songwriter stuff) I can run them all the way down to 125Hz but for most gig I cross over at 250Hz, 24 dB/octave.

When you high-pass your tops at 250hz, are you using a third mid-bass cabinet between your subs and tops, or are you low-passing your subs that high too? 

EvanKirkendall

• Personal Text?
    • Evan Kirkendall
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 12:00:56 PM »

FWIW- I own 8 of the SlS960's, and 4 of the sls920's. I've built my company around these boxes for a few reasons:

1. They do in fact get stupid loud with very little power.

2. They can sound very good with some key processing.

3. They are very affordable on the used market.

My "festival" rig is 4 boxes flown per side, with the 920's as front fills. It's quite an awesome rig. I've never found myself missing low Mids with the 960's. The 920's could use a little more down low, but I've found, if you don't beat on them super hard, a modest boost in the low Mids brings back what's missing. But, when you start asking too much, the mid/high section simply outruns the 8's. 

They absolutely need processing though. Flat out of the box is honky sounding and harsh in the midrange. They need some love in the 500-800hz range, and some love in the 2.3-4k range. But, once you make those few cuts, they sing. I power mine with QSC PL6.0's, and I hardly see past -20 on the amps. Headroom for days.

I'm drifting off topic though... The 650 is the work horse mid format trap box. It sounds good, and always has done the job. The STX is a nice sounding box too. I don't think it quite has the get up and go as the 650, but it's close. I would certainly put the SLS960 in the same class too. Either way, you can't go wrong. They all sound good and do what they're supposed to do.

Evan
HarfordSound LLC
HarfordSound Facebook

-Your friendly neighborhood dealer for everything!-

*Voted most destructive on mids, 2006*
*Most low end at a rock show, 5 years running*

Alexander B Larsson

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 06:38:10 PM »

When you high-pass your tops at 250hz, are you using a third mid-bass cabinet between your subs and tops, or are you low-passing your subs that high too?

My "full" rig runs Ciare NDH 18 loaded reflex subs powered by QSC RMX 5050 (two 18s per channel) up to 75Hz, 24 dB/octave, then bass reflex "upper bass" boxes loaded with Eminence Kappa Pro 12, powered by QSC PLX 3602, 80 Hz - 200Hz, 24 dB/octave and then the 920s from 250Hz up, powered by QSC PLX 1804, one or two 920s per channel. The 200 - 250Hz gap makes feedback figthing so much easier when running dual 920s per side.

Alexander B Larsson

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 06:42:52 PM »

FWIW- I own 8 of the SlS960's, and 4 of the sls920's. I've built my company around these boxes for a few reasons:

1. They do in fact get stupid loud with very little power.

2. They can sound very good with some key processing.

3. They are very affordable on the used market.

My "festival" rig is 4 boxes flown per side, with the 920's as front fills. It's quite an awesome rig. I've never found myself missing low Mids with the 960's. The 920's could use a little more down low, but I've found, if you don't beat on them super hard, a modest boost in the low Mids brings back what's missing. But, when you start asking too much, the mid/high section simply outruns the 8's. 

They absolutely need processing though. Flat out of the box is honky sounding and harsh in the midrange. They need some love in the 500-800hz range, and some love in the 2.3-4k range. But, once you make those few cuts, they sing. I power mine with QSC PL6.0's, and I hardly see past -20 on the amps. Headroom for days.

I'm drifting off topic though... The 650 is the work horse mid format trap box. It sounds good, and always has done the job. The STX is a nice sounding box too. I don't think it quite has the get up and go as the 650, but it's close. I would certainly put the SLS960 in the same class too. Either way, you can't go wrong. They all sound good and do what they're supposed to do.

Evan

I did that "low mid boost" initially in my 920s at gig running subs up to 120Hz or so and tops from 125Hz, IIRC (24 dB/octave). That cost me all the 8" woofers... (Eight of them.) Ouch.  :( The silicone / glue just tore off of the metal pole piece.)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 06:42:52 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 24 queries.