ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4 yorkville LS801p vs 2 Double 18 Reflex (G sub)  (Read 12074 times)

Pierre Foster

4 yorkville LS801p vs 2 Double 18 Reflex (G sub)
« on: December 11, 2013, 11:50:39 PM »

Changed The title since I think the LS801p is the way I want to go and the reflex is what I have now, will the Yorkville's play loader at their advertised 45hz than the reflex cabs? the Reflex cabs are loaded with Selenium sws800's and powered by a Spyn SRX3300

Looking for some advice on a sub setup. I know this may be a somewhat apples to oranges comparison but trying to decide between using 4 - LS801p's or 6 - EV T-18's

The setup will be used to play recorded music 99% of the time (Mobile DJ) outdoors. Obviously the yorkvilles are powered and the EV's are passive, if I went with the EV's I would be using a Spyn Audio SRX3300 amp.  I have read that the EV's don't play very low by today's standards, but in a group of 6 I'm sure they get a bit lower than the 50hz everyone seems to mention.

Any advice is appreciated. 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 09:19:30 AM by Pierre Foster »

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: yorkville LS801p vs EV T18
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 01:43:12 PM »

I know this may be a somewhat apples to oranges comparison but trying to decide between using 4 - LS801p's or 6 - EV T-18's
 I have read that the EV's don't play very low by today's standards, but in a group of 6 I'm sure they get a bit lower than the 50hz everyone seems to mention.
The low end cut off is fixed by the design, neither will go lower in multiples (maybe 1.5 Hz), though the low end will flatten out a bit in multiples.

Without a side by side check, hard to say which would be the winner.
I doubt the Spyn Audio SRX3300 amp is a real monster, even on paper it looks to be less power than four LS801p.

The speaker used in the LS801p ( IIRC) probably has at least double the Xmax (+ 6dB) of what is used in the EV T-18, so on a blind bet I'd be inclined to go with four  4 - LS801p's over 6 - EV T-18 for output towards the lower end of the pass band, but the EV may have a bit more in the top.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 01:51:43 PM by Art Welter »

Pierre Foster

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 05:55:56 PM »

The low end cut off is fixed by the design, neither will go lower in multiples (maybe 1.5 Hz), though the low end will flatten out a bit in multiples.

Without a side by side check, hard to say which would be the winner.
I doubt the Spyn Audio SRX3300 amp is a real monster, even on paper it looks to be less power than four LS801p.

The speaker used in the LS801p ( IIRC) probably has at least double the Xmax (+ 6dB) of what is used in the EV T-18, so on a blind bet I'd be inclined to go with four  4 - LS801p's over 6 - EV T-18 for output towards the lower end of the pass band, but the EV may have a bit more in the top.

Very much what i was thinking, thanks for the reply Art.

Richard Turner

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 02:42:46 AM »

Looking for some advice on a sub setup. I know this may be a somewhat apples to oranges comparison but trying to decide between using 4 - LS801p's or 6 - EV T-18's

The setup will be used to play recorded music 99% of the time (Mobile DJ) outdoors. Obviously the yorkvilles are powered and the EV's are passive, if I went with the EV's I would be using a Spyn Audio SRX3300 amp.  I have read that the EV's don't play very low by today's standards, but in a group of 6 I'm sure they get a bit lower than the 50hz everyone seems to mention.

Any advice is appreciated.

an apples to apples woud be the yorkville ls808, same cabinet passive box. I'm more familiar with the older ones with ceramic magnet woofers, (ls800p)

the 801's now use a neo magent woofer or so I was told, the passive box remains a ceramic magnet

the box is a proven been around since about 1994 I think or was it 96? as the sw800, then the back corner was chopped to add the tilt back wheels on the es808 variation. Originally they were using RCF woofers but changed to B&C drivers. they are bulky and a stack of 4 is reasonably impressve, 4 of them will kick the butt of 2 double 18 front loaded boxes for pre recorded music all night long. I have 4 ls1004 and 8 ls808 and 4 ls800p, and honestly I find the passive boxes faster to deploy as the subs can live on pinset 2 tops on pinset 1 one run of speaker cable push and twist and done vs running AC plus signal to the powered ones. but then you're dragging an amp rack benhind too....

Back to the original question....

Why 6 of the EV, were you planning on loading the amp at 8/3 ohm per channel or running 2 ohm on one side and 4 on the other side? If theres stairs involvved or needing to stack the yorkvilles its really a 2 man load in. Honestly they are old technology, works as good as it did 20 years ago but there have been improvments in size weight and output over those 20 years. If I had a time machine I would still have bought the yorkie at the time, now with so many other options out there I doubt I would again for mobile use 24 x28 x 32 140 lbs...... thats 50 cu ft and 560 lbs.....
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Pierre Foster

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 09:22:13 PM »

an apples to apples woud be the yorkville ls808, same cabinet passive box. I'm more familiar with the older ones with ceramic magnet woofers, (ls800p)

the 801's now use a neo magent woofer or so I was told, the passive box remains a ceramic magnet

the box is a proven been around since about 1994 I think or was it 96? as the sw800, then the back corner was chopped to add the tilt back wheels on the es808 variation. Originally they were using RCF woofers but changed to B&C drivers. they are bulky and a stack of 4 is reasonably impressve, 4 of them will kick the butt of 2 double 18 front loaded boxes for pre recorded music all night long. I have 4 ls1004 and 8 ls808 and 4 ls800p, and honestly I find the passive boxes faster to deploy as the subs can live on pinset 2 tops on pinset 1 one run of speaker cable push and twist and done vs running AC plus signal to the powered ones. but then you're dragging an amp rack benhind too....

Back to the original question....

Why 6 of the EV, were you planning on loading the amp at 8/3 ohm per channel or running 2 ohm on one side and 4 on the other side? If theres stairs involvved or needing to stack the yorkvilles its really a 2 man load in. Honestly they are old technology, works as good as it did 20 years ago but there have been improvments in size weight and output over those 20 years. If I had a time machine I would still have bought the yorkie at the time, now with so many other options out there I doubt I would again for mobile use 24 x28 x 32 140 lbs...... thats 50 cu ft and 560 lbs.....

Thanks Richard, the reasoning behind the 6 was simply because there was another forum member selling 6 and a reasonable price.

You mentioned something very important to me though, your comment about 4 of them out playing 2 double 18 front loaded boxes. We currently have a pair of G-subs (double 18 reflex cabs) loaded with Selenium sws800 subs. Do you think 4 of the yorkvilles would sound that much better or play louder. The reflex cabs get the job done for the most part, but we do not have access to many other designs down here to make comparison.

John Chiara

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 10:55:56 PM »

But the 6 EV's, use 4....get a Maxxbass...

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 11:41:04 AM »

The EV T18 is a hybrid design with a peaky response that doesn't go that low and it's limited in output potential(SPL) by drivers with very little excursion capability. The LS801 is a slightly different hybrid design with a similar peaky response but it's got a much more capable driver so it will generate more SPL than the EV.
Also note that once crossed over at typical sub frequencies(80-100z) and EQ'd relatively flat within their passband(40hz lowcut) both of these boxes will only average about 98db sensitivity.

Pierre Foster

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 09:19:05 AM »

The EV T18 is a hybrid design with a peaky response that doesn't go that low and it's limited in output potential(SPL) by drivers with very little excursion capability. The LS801 is a slightly different hybrid design with a similar peaky response but it's got a much more capable driver so it will generate more SPL than the EV.
Also note that once crossed over at typical sub frequencies(80-100z) and EQ'd relatively flat within their passband(40hz lowcut) both of these boxes will only average about 98db sensitivity.

Thanks Paul,

I have decided to move away from the T-18's and stick with the LS801p but would like to compare to my current setup. 4 - LS801p's vs 2 double 18 reflex cabs loaded with Selenium SWS800's powered by a spyn audio srx3300 (at 4 ohms stereo   2 x 1650W)

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 11:51:59 AM »

would like to compare to my current setup. 4 - LS801p's vs 2 double 18 reflex cabs loaded with Selenium SWS800's powered by a spyn audio srx3300 (at 4 ohms stereo   2 x 1650W)

I wouldn't be surprised if the G-subs goes lower, the LS801 is -3db at 45hz while the G-sub is tuned to 36hz, but those Selenium drivers are gonna be excursion limited to something less than rated power down low so if you were to raise the lowcut to match the Yorkies and EQ down the upper bass hump of the LS801 then it's gonna be petty close between them.

Alexander B Larsson

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 06:25:01 PM »

Thanks Paul,

I have decided to move away from the T-18's and stick with the LS801p but would like to compare to my current setup. 4 - LS801p's vs 2 double 18 reflex cabs loaded with Selenium SWS800's powered by a spyn audio srx3300 (at 4 ohms stereo   2 x 1650W)

I like a lot of older EV stuff but your decision to move away from the T-18 for DJ use seems very wise. They do not go low, they have very limited excursion and I believe it is hard to "improve" on these boxes as the performance limits are already on the design level.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 06:25:01 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.