ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Comparison passive/active  (Read 25032 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Comparison passive/active
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2013, 01:12:27 PM »

Great idea and thank you for taking the time to get the info to me - well appreciated.
The link you gave is to a specific model SX300 PI (which would work well for my purpose) but given the fact I have already invested in these and the price I paid, I wonder if I can find grilles to fit the ELX112's?
I'll maybe contact EV first and then go on a hunt to see if I can find the correct material and even undertake making them !! I am quite adventurous when it comes to getting creative!

EV parts from the factory (if available) are pricey...enough so that it makes sense to just buy the model in the first place. 

I picked up a used pair of Sxa100's with the outdoor grilles for $500.00.  They have proven to be very usable all around and especially for stage side-washes outdoors.  If we get any precipitation, I don't have to worry about them at all and can tend to other things.  I just turn them around to face the audience area and play back some tracks for background audio while we all scurry to cover up.  That way the MC still has contact with the crowd to give instructions.

I'd look hard at the used market and see if you can pick up anything in the Sx series coming off an outdoor install.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2013, 02:50:26 PM »

EV parts from the factory (if available) are pricey...enough so that it makes sense to just buy the model in the first place. 

I picked up a used pair of Sxa100's with the outdoor grilles for $500.00.  They have proven to be very usable all around and especially for stage side-washes outdoors.  If we get any precipitation, I don't have to worry about them at all and can tend to other things.  I just turn them around to face the audience area and play back some tracks for background audio while we all scurry to cover up.  That way the MC still has contact with the crowd to give instructions.

I'd look hard at the used market and see if you can pick up anything in the Sx series coming off an outdoor install.

Thanks for the good information Dick - appreciated as always.

I'll definitely keep an eye open for something in the Sx series line....sounds like a winner for the conditions we have discussed.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2013, 03:13:46 PM »

Thanks for the good information Dick - appreciated as always.

I'll definitely keep an eye open for something in the Sx series line....sounds like a winner for the conditions we have discussed.

I'll take a closer look at the "liners" behind the Sx100 grilles one of these days.  IIRC, they are a nylon like fabric "envelope" lined with some very thin foam.  This is something that you could make or have made.  It serves to pass audio but deflect any liquids that get past the perforated grill.  In fact, you could probably get away with a simple single layer of nylon fabric behind the grill.  With the Sx series, you can just fasten it under the sides of the grille, but with the ELX and the wrap-around grille you would probably have to come up with some other way of keeping it in place. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2013, 03:21:10 PM »

I'll take a closer look at the "liners" behind the Sx100 grilles one of these days.  IIRC, they are a nylon like fabric "envelope" lined with some very thin foam.  This is something that you could make or have made.  It serves to pass audio but deflect any liquids that get past the perforated grill.  In fact, you could probably get away with a simple single layer of nylon fabric behind the grill.  With the Sx series, you can just fasten it under the sides of the grille, but with the ELX and the wrap-around grille you would probably have to come up with some other way of keeping it in place.

An entrepreneur mind might jump on this - after market water resistant grille liners made for the most popular speakers on the market.....mmm
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2013, 09:59:38 PM »

So, the ELX112's arrived today. Did a quick AB comparison with my PRX612's. Kinda wish I hadn't. An unfair shoot-out really - not that the PRX's are the best speakers out there of course.  I probably should have compared to the K10's as I usually use them as monitors  but I wanted to compare 12" to 12".
Don't get me wrong - I  am not disappointed with the purchase I made.  I really think they will be fine as monitors and they seemed to get loud enough for the stages I get to cover without clipping or distortion. I know that some people are JBL lovers and others are not so much but it seems that I always get a good warm sound from the PRX's no matter what. The ELX112's needed some eq'ing but didn't sound too bad by the time I had finished. A little too much middle for my liking and a slight lack of vocal clarity. Overall for the money I paid I think they'll do fine and if one of them ends up getting dumped on - not the biggest investment in the world.
I'll use them as is tomorrow and hope for the best. Be an awful shame if I get any damage first time out !!!

Dustin Campbell

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2013, 10:09:45 PM »

Congrats on the new members of the family- for me it takes a little while to get to know each piece of new equipment and usually I like them better as I get accustomed to them - I'm sure you will deploy them and use them to their fullest
Banning CA,

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2013, 10:41:37 PM »

Congrats on the new members of the family- for me it takes a little while to get to know each piece of new equipment and usually I like them better as I get accustomed to them - I'm sure you will deploy them and use them to their fullest

Thanks Dustin...I always enjoy getting new equipment - I've never owned EV before so that's kinda nice. I don't get to hear the monitors much of course - not like the FOH but if the musicians are happy with them on stage then so am I !!!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2013, 10:42:51 PM »

I agree.  New speakers and new microphones take some getting used to.  Not that they are necessarily better or worse, but that they are different.  We are steeped in the sonic presentation of whatever we've been using so almost anything else sounds foreign to us.  Some time and experimentation will eventually show what the new toys are capable of.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Dustin Campbell

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2013, 10:57:42 PM »

As an amateur musician myself I am super happy with any monitors at all - side note story - when I was younger my band played "the Whiskey" and we were so exited and we set up super quick and we're ready to be "rock stars" and there was some nice big monitors in front of us and we did a quick sound  check - I said to the sound guy - can you turn up the monitors up a little and he replied " opening bands don't get monitors"     - So your bands should be happy that you put a lot of thought into their listening experience - once again have fun bringing out there best performances - p.s. Never wanted to play the whiskey again :-)
Banning CA,

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2013, 10:11:42 AM »

As an amateur musician myself I am super happy with any monitors at all - side note story - when I was younger my band played "the Whiskey" and we were so exited and we set up super quick and we're ready to be "rock stars" and there was some nice big monitors in front of us and we did a quick sound  check - I said to the sound guy - can you turn up the monitors up a little and he replied " opening bands don't get monitors"     - So your bands should be happy that you put a lot of thought into their listening experience - once again have fun bringing out there best performances - p.s. Never wanted to play the whiskey again :-)

ha ha... I know how you felt...
In my day I sang pro for a short time and semi-pro for many years before surgery damaged my voice in 2003. For those first couple of years I didn't use monitors - didn't even know what they were - but I think it helped me in the long run. Anything else was simply 'butta'. In fact I never really expected too much on stage as long as the FOH sounded good. Yes, I spoil the singers I work with but hey - that's my job right?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2013, 10:11:42 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 25 queries.