ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Comparison passive/active  (Read 25038 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Comparison passive/active
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2013, 03:39:53 PM »

Actually the damage is more pysical to the grill of said monitor,after the monitor gets busted over said idiots head. ;)
Now there's a thought....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2013, 11:08:51 PM »

I concur !!
The bar owner of this particular establishment has basically said "TOUGH" to the bands and continues to rake in the money serving what look to me to be well underage kids till they can no longer function in a socially acceptable manner.

Karma has a way of dealing with asshats like him.  I just hope nobody dies for his profits while we wait for his comeuppance.

One thing I suggest is either food service cling wrap or palletizing stretch wrap.  In a pinch a thin trash bag will do.  Not acoustically ideal but you won't have fungal growth or bacterial colonies on your monitors and your HF drivers won't drown.  Explain to the band that you don't play without protection.  Wrap those rascals or let someone put up their credit card for potential repairs.  The food service wrap is wider (about 2') and thinner than the packing wrap.  The stretch wrap is stronger.  Don't cover any ventilation ports or heat sinks.

Tim "cranky old guy" Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2013, 01:37:50 AM »

speaking of damage to monitors, has anyone ever had a drummer loose a stick that landed in a stage monitor horn ? btw , i'm a drummer that looses a stick every now and then.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2013, 05:32:36 PM »

Karma has a way of dealing with asshats like him.  I just hope nobody dies for his profits while we wait for his comeuppance.

One thing I suggest is either food service cling wrap or palletizing stretch wrap.  In a pinch a thin trash bag will do.  Not acoustically ideal but you won't have fungal growth or bacterial colonies on your monitors and your HF drivers won't drown.  Explain to the band that you don't play without protection.  Wrap those rascals or let someone put up their credit card for potential repairs.  The food service wrap is wider (about 2') and thinner than the packing wrap.  The stretch wrap is stronger.  Don't cover any ventilation ports or heat sinks.

Tim "cranky old guy" Mc

Hey Tim...thanks for those suggestions. 
I'll certainly give it a try because I think even though some loss will be noticed in audio quality (highs especially??), it means I will feel better about using the K10's this weekend. My guess is that I will get a better sound with the K10's covered in plastic wrap than the Eon G2's. Would you agree or would it be a close call?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2013, 09:47:36 PM »

Would you agree or would it be a close call?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTI9K8J5o0o

At a gig where you believe beer or liquids will probably be spilled into the monitors, I would tend to use of "B" monitors. 

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2013, 12:16:32 PM »

Quick update...... I just ordered a couple of EV ELX112 passives from my 'go to' guy at GC. I got a really good price of $229 ($244 with tax) each shipped to my door. I figured this way, I can always try them out and if they don't do what I need, easy to take back to the local store but I'm hoping they will suffice.
The price point is crazy good and I know they are not terribly efficient but hey - I'm not using them for FOH -just monitors so all I need is clarity and moderate volume.
I can power them with a Behringer (don't hate!) EPX2800 - 350w per side into 8 ohms or a Crown XLI3500 (1000w into 8 ohms). I'd have to watch the gains on the Crown but the Behringer is better suited power wise. I had good results for many years with the Behringer EP2500 (the only Behringer product I've ever owned) so not too worried about the EPX - especially for monitor duty.
I'll be using them this weekend (if there are no delays in shipping) at the 'dreaded' bar of drunken, under-aged, over privileged idiots and I'll report back.... (no returning them if they get dumped on though - fingers crossed)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2013, 12:23:05 PM »

Quick update...... I just ordered a couple of EV ELX112 passives from my 'go to' guy at GC. I got a really good price of $229 ($244 with tax) each shipped to my door. I figured this way, I can always try them out and if they don't do what I need, easy to take back to the local store but I'm hoping they will suffice.
The price point is crazy good and I know they are not terribly efficient but hey - I'm not using them for FOH -just monitors so all I need is clarity and moderate volume.
I can power them with a Behringer (don't hate!) EPX2800 - 350w per side into 8 ohms or a Crown XLI3500 (1000w into 8 ohms). I'd have to watch the gains on the Crown but the Behringer is better suited power wise. I had good results for many years with the Behringer EP2500 (the only Behringer product I've ever owned) so not too worried about the EPX - especially for monitor duty.
I'll be using them this weekend (if there are no delays in shipping) at the 'dreaded' bar of drunken, under-aged, over privileged idiots and I'll report back.... (no returning them if they get dumped on though - fingers crossed)

I think this has probably been mentioned before, but I know EV makes a full grill with a backing material for some of their speakers (Sx/Sxa) for outdoor deployment.  If that is an option for you, it'll keep liquids from reaching the cones/drivers and let it drain off without damage.

For "idiot-resistant" monitors, I'd go for the plastic cabinets with the outdoor grilles.  No worries...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2013, 12:38:20 PM »

I think this has probably been mentioned before, but I know EV makes a full grill with a backing material for some of their speakers (Sx/Sxa) for outdoor deployment.  If that is an option for you, it'll keep liquids from reaching the cones/drivers and let it drain off without damage.

For "idiot-resistant" monitors, I'd go for the plastic cabinets with the outdoor grilles.  No worries...

Thanks Dick...did a quick search but cannot find those covers. The QSC ones are readily available it seems.....I'm going to need covers anyway - I protect every piece of equipment I own - so this could be a good option if they are made to fit the ELX112's.
I did consider getting the zlx versions with 'plastic' cabs but thought these would have a slightly warmer sound AND the price was right..another trade-off I suppose.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2013, 12:42:04 PM »

Thanks Dick...did a quick search but cannot find those covers. The QSC ones are readily available it seems.....I'm going to need covers anyway - I protect every piece of equipment I own - so this could be a good option if they are made to fit the ELX112's.
I did consider getting the zlx versions with 'plastic' cabs but thought these would have a slightly warmer sound AND the price was right..another trade-off I suppose.

They are not "covers" like the QSC's.  They are actual outdoor grilles which cover the entire front of the cabinet.  I'll look for a link.

Edit:

http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=55

There's a nylon fabric "sandwich" behind the full grille.  You'd have to take a pretty good stream from a hose directly at the grille to get anything to get in.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 12:46:59 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2013, 01:03:47 PM »

They are not "covers" like the QSC's.  They are actual outdoor grilles which cover the entire front of the cabinet.  I'll look for a link.

Edit:

http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=55

There's a nylon fabric "sandwich" behind the full grille.  You'd have to take a pretty good stream from a hose directly at the grille to get anything to get in.

Great idea and thank you for taking the time to get the info to me - well appreciated.
The link you gave is to a specific model SX300 PI (which would work well for my purpose) but given the fact I have already invested in these and the price I paid, I wonder if I can find grilles to fit the ELX112's?
I'll maybe contact EV first and then go on a hunt to see if I can find the correct material and even undertake making them !! I am quite adventurous when it comes to getting creative!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2013, 01:03:47 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.