ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Comparison passive/active  (Read 24850 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Comparison passive/active
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2013, 09:21:16 PM »

I'm not trying to talk you into anything, Debbie, I could be perfectly happy with my Mpro 412s if I wasn't such an equipment junkie!

No...I get it -I really do.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2013, 09:28:58 PM »

I really like my Mpro 415's and 410's  -  they would be great monitors for regular bands and such- It's that I play in a pretty heavy band and want to get some monitors that will blow my singers head off- hence the need for the srx, stx monitors - but for other than hard rock many people have been very happy with the mpro4's  -- its hard for me to pay $2400 for a pair of stx812's when I paid 2200 for a pair of srx725's(used of course)- although that's what I'll wind up doing-

So maybe the 410's or 412's would work for me given the not so extreme volumes I deal with. I'm so confused right now .....
I have a couple of old Eon 1500's that I might use for now in venues where I don't trust my active speakers to liquid till something comes up at the right price. Next to them, most of the speakers we have discussed will probably sound good!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2013, 10:04:56 PM »

If the SRX712's keep going for the money they have been (and I see no change happening there) maybe I need to switch brands and start looking at the EV's.
Sean, I'd like to try the ZX1. Pricing isn't bad either. If the 412's sound anything like the JRX's, I will NOT be investing in them.

The SRX712m was discontinued a year ago.  There is a rumour that JBL is doing another run of them, but I have no factory confirmation of that and was given no indication of how many pieces (if any) will be built.

I can confirm that *new* SRX728 exist, as I unpacked 4 of them last week.  :)  No idea if the majik elves found these hiding in a warehouse or if the elves built them recently...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Conrad Muzoora

• Mbarara, Uganda. www.koolinvestments.co.ug
    • Kool Events Uganda
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2013, 01:37:37 AM »

Thank you for sharing your hands-on experience - priceless. Conrad, I did notice the Mpro 410's going for a lot less than the 412's on Ebay - for good reason it seems. I really don't want to lose clarity.
The bands I work with tell me I get a better monitor sound than they are used to and I don't want that to change. Other than the musicians 'getting down' with the dancers once in a while and hearing FOH, the only sound they hear is through the monitors. That is where the money is in my opinion and why bands like to use me.
If the SRX712's keep going for the money they have been (and I see no change happening there) maybe I need to switch brands and start looking at the EV's.
Sean, I'd like to try the ZX1. Pricing isn't bad either. If the 412's sound anything like the JRX's, I will NOT be investing in them.

The JBL Mpro 412 and 415 are great speakers, very superior to the 410, 215, 215 and 225 which all have a terrible HF driver utilizing this same diaphragm http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-MPro-MP212-MP215-MP225-MP410-Diaphragm-2412-Horn-Driver-Repair-Parts-4-Pack-/130949866840?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Speaker_Drivers_Horns&hash=item1e7d386558 . The Mpros are however discontinued and very rare to find. I recently changed my inventory from mp412 to ev sx300 mainly because i couldnt get original JBL diaphragms for them (A few stores that had them were selling them at close to 200$ a piece). The ev sx300 is very good sounding and universally available and has served be well in place of the mpro 412s.
Conrad

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2013, 09:42:14 AM »

The SRX712m was discontinued a year ago.  There is a rumour that JBL is doing another run of them, but I have no factory confirmation of that and was given no indication of how many pieces (if any) will be built.

I can confirm that *new* SRX728 exist, as I unpacked 4 of them last week.  :)  No idea if the majik elves found these hiding in a warehouse or if the elves built them recently...

I hope those elves can convince Santa to drop a couple of 712's down my chimney.......

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2013, 09:43:12 AM »

The JBL Mpro 412 and 415 are great speakers, very superior to the 410, 215, 215 and 225 which all have a terrible HF driver utilizing this same diaphragm http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-MPro-MP212-MP215-MP225-MP410-Diaphragm-2412-Horn-Driver-Repair-Parts-4-Pack-/130949866840?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Speaker_Drivers_Horns&hash=item1e7d386558 . The Mpros are however discontinued and very rare to find. I recently changed my inventory from mp412 to ev sx300 mainly because i couldnt get original JBL diaphragms for them (A few stores that had them were selling them at close to 200$ a piece). The ev sx300 is very good sounding and universally available and has served be well in place of the mpro 412s.
Conrad

Good to know and more options to choose from.....

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2013, 10:38:50 AM »

I hope those elves can convince Santa to drop a couple of 712's down my chimney.......

If you get a chance put a word in for them to drop a pair of 618-XLF's down mine(though I'd take just about anything that JBL makes).  ;D

sam saponaro

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2013, 04:12:36 PM »

And reason # 3 - at that one gig where some idiot decides to pour his beer into my monitor, it will not do as much damage ?????
Actually the damage is more pysical to the grill of said monitor,after the monitor gets busted over said idiots head. ;)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2013, 01:17:58 PM »

Actually the damage is more pysical to the grill of said monitor,after the monitor gets busted over said idiots head. ;)

Oh were it to be so...

One of the things I don't miss about bar gigs is the utter lack of financial responsibility excused by "a good time" being had.  Bullshit.  The establishment never accepts responsibility for their patrons spilling or deliberately pouring their drink on stage.  If the patrons are behaving that way, I submit they've been over-served and hope they aren't driving later.

Alcohol pays for a lot of stuff; I think it should pay for damages to the band's or provider's equipment.  In bar-land, it almost never does.

That said, butching up the grilles, treating the woofers with Zepel or other water repellant, etc are good things to do for any speakers going into a bar.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2013, 03:38:42 PM »

Oh were it to be so...

One of the things I don't miss about bar gigs is the utter lack of financial responsibility excused by "a good time" being had.  Bullshit.  The establishment never accepts responsibility for their patrons spilling or deliberately pouring their drink on stage.  If the patrons are behaving that way, I submit they've been over-served and hope they aren't driving later.

Alcohol pays for a lot of stuff; I think it should pay for damages to the band's or provider's equipment.  In bar-land, it almost never does.

That said, butching up the grilles, treating the woofers with Zepel or other water repellant, etc are good things to do for any speakers going into a bar.

I concur !!
The bar owner of this particular establishment has basically said "TOUGH" to the bands and continues to rake in the money serving what look to me to be well underage kids till they can no longer function in a socially acceptable manner.
If it were my band I would refuse to work there and if all the bands stopped playing there till this guy takes some responsibility, things would have to change. However, as just the sound 'guy' I cannot make that call.
Well, we are doing sound there again this coming weekend (I'm dreading it). I told the band last time 'never again' but they are desperate as no-one will help them out (I wonder why?).
Last night we used the side fill method again in a different bar (same band) but we got some feedback issues because the guitarist and bass player on either side of the stage didn't understand the concept of avoiding aiming their mics directly at the speakers from 12 inches away!!!.
So I may have to go back to floor monitors and maybe use my old passive Eons. Even though they will be in the thick of it, the loss is far less as they owe me very little at this point.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2013, 03:38:42 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 25 queries.