ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Comparison passive/active  (Read 24862 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Comparison passive/active
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 07:47:49 PM »

Yes, MRX replaced Mpro.

Thanks...2 MP410's on ebay right now.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 09:19:30 PM »

I echo the benefit of running passive monitors for the absence of power cord by the monitor. That's the main reason why I prefer passive monitors for the front line vocalists using wireless mics, as it's less visually distracting and less of a trip hazard for moving vocalists. It's not as much of a factor for back line instrumentalists.

You can get the benefit of active monitors by bi-amping a passive monitor that can be bi-amped. SRX 712m for example can be biamped as simply as using a Crown XTI amp which has preset for bi-amping it. You do need to haul an additional 2 amplifier channels per bi-amped mix. I am fairly happy with running my SRX712m passive, so it cuts down on total amps to haul.

On MRX, you should hear them first. They don't sound in the same league as SRX in terms of clarity.

I have found for monitor purpose, EV ZX1 works nicely, as it is fairly clean, gets loud enough for most type of monitoring need, and is light, compact, and affordable. It even has rotatable horn to change the dispersion direction.
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 09:32:07 PM »

Thanks so much for all the good info and suggestions everyone.

Chuck and Steve, GC is exactly where I got my 612's from and they were a really good price. No regrets at all there! I looked for a 412 last time I was there but didn't see one. I'll check again this weekend when I drop by my local GC !!

For what it's worth, PRX 412 uses the same woofer as JRX 112, which I have found to have sub par clarity. Many churches I play at use them, and I grew very tired of its sound. I have not heard the PRX 412 yet, so it's not a fair judgement based on woofer alone. You should definitely hear it before committing to it.
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

Conrad Muzoora

• Mbarara, Uganda. www.koolinvestments.co.ug
    • Kool Events Uganda
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2013, 12:31:06 AM »

Thanks...2 MP410's on ebay right now.

Careful, the Mpro 410's are not in the same league as the Mpro412 and 415's. In my opinion the mpro 410, 212 and 225 are all cousins of the JBL JRX.

Conrad
www.kooleventug.com

Dustin Campbell

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2013, 01:19:56 PM »

I have 2x srx725 and 2x718 and 2x mp415 & 2x mp410 -

The mp410 is perfect for listening to music in my band room- they sound very nice - I wouldn't quite throw them in with the infamous Jrx series-the cabinet in the mp410is built just like the mp415 but they don't cut through for monitors unfortunately- would love to grab some srx712's though or stx812 and feed them some real power

the pm410 looks like a mini speaker- still a cool box
Banning CA,

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2013, 04:21:47 PM »

Thank you for sharing your hands-on experience - priceless. Conrad, I did notice the Mpro 410's going for a lot less than the 412's on Ebay - for good reason it seems. I really don't want to lose clarity.
The bands I work with tell me I get a better monitor sound than they are used to and I don't want that to change. Other than the musicians 'getting down' with the dancers once in a while and hearing FOH, the only sound they hear is through the monitors. That is where the money is in my opinion and why bands like to use me.
If the SRX712's keep going for the money they have been (and I see no change happening there) maybe I need to switch brands and start looking at the EV's.
Sean, I'd like to try the ZX1. Pricing isn't bad either. If the 412's sound anything like the JRX's, I will NOT be investing in them.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2013, 05:21:54 PM »

There's a good reason the 712s cost as much as they do.  You get what you pay for.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2013, 05:40:00 PM »

There's a good reason the 712s cost as much as they do.  You get what you pay for.

I agree...I love my FOH SRX715's and 718's.  Wish I could justify getting the 712's.
The gigs I do are small to medium and I am not PA hire. I run sound for my husband's band and help other musician friends out when I am not working with his band.
I hope this explains my hesitancy regarding investing in the 712's. I really do believe you get what you pay for but in my case SRX monitors at the price they go for might be considered overkill (still would love a couple though) !!

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 05:55:51 PM »

I'm not trying to talk you into anything, Debbie, I could be perfectly happy with my Mpro 412s if I wasn't such an equipment junkie!

Dustin Campbell

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 06:12:42 PM »

I really like my Mpro 415's and 410's  -  they would be great monitors for regular bands and such- It's that I play in a pretty heavy band and want to get some monitors that will blow my singers head off- hence the need for the srx, stx monitors - but for other than hard rock many people have been very happy with the mpro4's  -- its hard for me to pay $2400 for a pair of stx812's when I paid 2200 for a pair of srx725's(used of course)- although that's what I'll wind up doing- 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 06:17:44 PM by Dustin Campbell »
Banning CA,

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 06:12:42 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.