ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a "Power Distros for Dummies" resource somewhere?  (Read 18843 times)

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
Is there a "Power Distros for Dummies" resource somewhere?
« on: November 11, 2013, 12:38:46 AM »

My knowledge of power doesn't go very far beyond standard 15 amp wall sockets and standard NEMA 5-15p connectors.

I know in more professional audio applications they use power distros. Where can I learn some of the basics of what makes up one and how they're hooked up?
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
Re: Is there a "Power Distros for Dummies" resource somewhere?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 01:27:32 AM »

My knowledge of power doesn't go very far beyond standard 15 amp wall sockets and standard NEMA 5-15p connectors.

I know in more professional audio applications they use power distros. Where can I learn some of the basics of what makes up one and how they're hooked up?

Yes, but it takes 2 to 4 years to read it.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 03:00:46 AM »

Mr. Perry is spot on.  I'm still trying to fully understand the NEC from 2005.  :-/

A "distro" is, in NEC-speak, a sub-panel.  Its line-side connection takes big, high ampacity wire and connects those wires to a bus bar for each hot leg, neutral, and earth ground.  The line side of a circuit breaker is connected to 1 or more hot leg buses and the load side is wired to an outlet of some kind (along with the neutral* and ground).  It's analogous to the electrical system in your home.

I suggest http://www.amazon.com/Electricity-Entertainment-Electrician-Technician-Richard/dp/0240809955/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384156647&sr=8-1&keywords=richard+cadena

It's not exactly "for dummies" but you'll find it much more useful than readying the National Electrical Code.  That comes later...

* some loads do not require a neutral, such as 3 phase motors.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 04:54:43 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 07:42:01 AM »

The whole "dummie" thing takes on a new meaning when you can kill people or burn down buildings or destroy lots of expensive equipment.

It is not something you "read", but rather something you learn-from people who know what they are doing.

Fundamentally it is pretty simple-if you understand the basics-but NOT something that should be taken lightly.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 01:29:05 PM »

Understood, I'm not trying to do a DIY sub-panel or anything right now, I just want to know more about power distros in pro audio applications, what makes up one, how they're wired, etc.

Our equipment has always simply been plugged into the nearest wall outlet, so we've never used a dedicated distro for audio equipment.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 01:47:05 PM »

Understood, I'm not trying to do a DIY sub-panel or anything right now, I just want to know more about power distros in pro audio applications, what makes up one, how they're wired, etc.

Our equipment has always simply been plugged into the nearest wall outlet, so we've never used a dedicated distro for audio equipment.

What we do is build a private electrical distribution system that must meet Code requirements, just like your home or office.

I built my first distro almost 30 years ago so I could play a gig in a converted motorcycle service shop.  Lots of NEMA 5-50 for welders and other stuff, so I wired an electric range cord/plug to a 8 space subpanel breaker box, installed the outlets on the side of the box and wired in 20 amp breakers.  I think I used a little paperback book from the lumber yard "guide to electricity in the home and on the farm" (or something like that) for guidance.  Didn't kill anyone or start any fires, but the only thing about it that would be a violation of Code is the plug & cord set (not listed for the use).  It was retired long ago.

Do you have some specific questions about electrical distribution?  It's not magic, but it does require a healthy respect for the forces of the energy involved and an absolute commitment to safety.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 04:01:57 PM »

What we do is build a private electrical distribution system that must meet Code requirements, just like your home or office.

I built my first distro almost 30 years ago so I could play a gig in a converted motorcycle service shop.  Lots of NEMA 5-50 for welders and other stuff, so I wired an electric range cord/plug to a 8 space subpanel breaker box, installed the outlets on the side of the box and wired in 20 amp breakers.  I think I used a little paperback book from the lumber yard "guide to electricity in the home and on the farm" (or something like that) for guidance.  Didn't kill anyone or start any fires, but the only thing about it that would be a violation of Code is the plug & cord set (not listed for the use).  It was retired long ago.

Do you have some specific questions about electrical distribution?  It's not magic, but it does require a healthy respect for the forces of the energy involved and an absolute commitment to safety.

I just want to know what a power distro for a pro audio system looks like. What components are involved, and how it's all wired together.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 04:12:39 PM »

I just want to know what a power distro for a pro audio system looks like. What components are involved, and how it's all wired together.

You can usually think of a distro as similar to the main breaker panel in your house.  A big fat wire comes in, and then thinner wires get sent to each outlet or outlets in the home. The stove and dryer get bigger wires sent to them, as they need more than 15 amps, but pretty much everything else is small circuits.  It's the exact same concept for an pro audio distro.

Now, where things get complicated, is that you have to know what your source power is going to be, and how you're going to divide all of that stuff up.  A typical home will have single phase power which has 2 legs around neutral.  3 phase power has 3 legs.  Ideally, you want to divide your load so each leg has approximately the same load on each.  In a 3 phase situation, if 2 legs are loaded, and the third free, there is going to be more current on the neutral line than on either of the legs.  If the load is perfectly balanced, nothing flows on the neutral line.  Of course, that never happens, and a loss of a neutral line in any multi phase system can cause instant voltage swings that destroy gear.  Good times.

Brian Jojade

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 05:58:57 PM »

I will say that there is a separate forum for AC Power and grounding and believe this topic should be moved there! 

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 06:36:17 PM »

Distro for dummies is any book someone reads and then believes they can build their own distro without consequences.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 06:36:17 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.