ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer DEQ2496 Processor - anyone have good results with it?  (Read 10422 times)

Russ Buck

I was wondering what other thought of this processor, We are looking for crossover function and eq functions mostly, and with three inputs we cold run a mono main speakers on one channel, aux fed sub on the other, and monitors on the third.  any input as to the quality?

Mike Spitzer

Re: Behringer DEQ2496 Processor - anyone have good results with it?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 04:53:40 PM »

We bought one at my last church for the youth, but never really got it to work. The first one didn't power on. The second one wouldn't allow us to select different crossover options. The third one worked for about a month and then the left channel went out. When it was working, it seemed to be fine. As long as you didn't make big corrections, there was no real additional noise to speak of (on par with a cheap analog DBX). Large EQ corrections introduced a noticeable hiss, though. To their credit, Behringer was very responsive and we got replacements quickly. We ended up just getting our money back, though.

YMMV.

-mS

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 12:12:00 AM »

I've got one, I use it mainly for feedback suppression and room EQ in my portable rig.

It has a flaky ribbon cable connector inside. Before each show I disconnect and reconnect the ribbon cable several times, and it seems to be good for a couple of days. If I don't do it, the signal gets staticy before it fades away altogether. For this reason, the processor is not firmly mounted in the rack, the cover is not screwed on, and there's plenty of slack in the cables. This problem cropped up about a year and a half after purchase.

P.S. -- With a retail price of around $300, it's relatively inexpensive for the functionality it claims to provide. If it's going to be flaky, the trouble you get may not be worth the money you save.

Bottom line: I'm disappointed with the quality. I probably wouldn't purchase this product again.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 12:17:18 AM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Matthias Heitzer

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 08:22:55 AM »

DEQ 2496 or DCX 2496?

the DEQ is a stereo parametric/graphic/dynamic eq with rta,
the DCX is a 3 to 6 controller.

The different generations of the DCX have different problems, some have none at all.
There are some modifications that greatly improve the reliability,
soldering the ribbon cable to the pcbs and using a plastic film to insulate the soldering points of the main pcb from the chassis for example.

Jon Palmer

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 12:35:56 AM »

I was wondering what other thought of this processor, We are looking for crossover function and eq functions mostly, and with three inputs we cold run a mono main speakers on one channel, aux fed sub on the other, and monitors on the third.  any input as to the quality?

I used one in my nightclub, and I also tried the driverack pa and the Behringer was far superior in  function although it would get hot and shutdown without a fan blowing on it. You could adjust the parametric eq in real time and find frequencies that were feeding back visually. I just don't think the quality was as good as the design.  I used it for house eq and crossover as well. For the money, I'd buy one again. The dbx was harder to use although is seemed like it had a warmer sound for some reason.

George Dougherty

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 02:17:35 AM »

I used one in my nightclub, and I also tried the driverack pa and the Behringer was far superior in  function although it would get hot and shutdown without a fan blowing on it. You could adjust the parametric eq in real time and find frequencies that were feeding back visually. I just don't think the quality was as good as the design.  I used it for house eq and crossover as well. For the money, I'd buy one again. The dbx was harder to use although is seemed like it had a warmer sound for some reason.
+1.  I loved the functionality of the DEQ, didn't care for the reliability.  The DEQ and DCX as a combination were far superior in features and even usability to a DR260, but took two rack spaces and still sucked in reliability.  I've owned 2x DEQ and 2x DCX.  One of the DCX's went a touch flaky on me, though only intermitently.  Same with the DEQ's.  I sold both DEQ's and one of the DCX's and haven't regretted it.

Nick Bair

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 06:44:36 AM »

Cable and connector issues are largely the product of being moved around, so I only buy Behringer gear for fixed installs. Design-wise, they generally...um..."borrow" the electronics from higher-priced vendors' designs, so there's not much that can go wrong there.

Ultimately, you get what you pay for but if you are not planning to port this unit around the Behringer will probably last you several years.

Andrew Watts

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 10:09:04 AM »

Cable and connector issues are largely the product of being moved around, so I only buy Behringer gear for fixed installs. Design-wise, they generally...um..."borrow" the electronics from higher-priced vendors' designs, so there's not much that can go wrong there.

Ultimately, you get what you pay for but if you are not planning to port this unit around the Behringer will probably last you several years.
When they work, they are a fantastic unit.  But the ribbon cable issues make me very nevous.  I have 2 DEQ and 1 DCX and all have been flaky.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 10:15:25 AM »

Design-wise, they generally...um..."borrow" the electronics from higher-priced vendors' designs, so there's not much that can go wrong there.
Other than lawsuits, cease and desist orders, $1,000,000 fines from the FCC and the like.

Even if the design is 'borrowed', that does not insure that the components, construction or manufacturing are comparable.  In fact when you copy someone else's work then you may have less knowledge of the design making problems more likely and support and development more difficult.

Arnold B. Krueger

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 10:26:17 AM »

That sounds like a job for the DCX2496, not the DEQ 2496.

IME people's experience with these has been mixed. On the plus side they have wonderful functionality and price. On the minus side their relibility has been spotty.

I have a friend who designed a product with a DCX2496 embedded in it, and he has seen what I would consider to be too many failures. He has 4 of them in his home HT system and one has a trivial failure. I have another firend with 3 of them (more recent production) and they are all fine.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 10:26:17 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.