ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Listen Technologies loop training worth the money?  (Read 1982 times)

Ed Walters

• Holland, MI, USA
Is Listen Technologies loop training worth the money?
« on: November 12, 2013, 05:09:55 PM »

Hello --

I am usually found in the live sound forums, but realistically, a lot of wht I do these days is install.  Inductive loop ALS has been around a long time, and a year ago, the US distribution changed for the main manufacturer of this gear.

The topic says it all. I've installed and commissioned dozens of these systems, but the new distributor requires $495 of training (plus travel, etc) to buy it. 

How pissed am I going to be at the end of the day? Or will I have learned a bunch? Any insight from those who've gone???  PM if you feel more comfortable doing so...

Ed Walters
The Solution LLC: certified: AMX, Audio Architect, Composer, ControlSpace, CTS, DanteL3/DDM, Tesira, and more.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Is Listen Technologies loop training worth the money?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 07:28:33 AM »

I am finding more and more pro product manufacturers requiring dealers and contractors to attend some associated training or achieve some form of certification in order to purchase certain of their products, particularly those that are more integrated systems than standalone products.  The manufacturers want to make sure that not only will companies offering those products be capable of applying the properly and that owners are getting some level of 'apples-to-apples' bids in terms of the installers being able to properly design and install the related systems.  I think it basically comes down to whether the investment is worth it to you.

FWIW, I recently had a contractor selected by the Owner on a project where the Owner defined a system that required mandatory training only find the Contractor did not have the requisite training.  It was quite a mess and the Contractor paying the manufacturer to come on site was the only option offered.

Ed Walters

• Holland, MI, USA
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 08:42:14 AM »

I am finding more and more pro product manufacturers requiring dealers and contractors to attend some associated training or achieve some form of certification in order to purchase certain of their products, particularly those that are more integrated systems than standalone products.  The manufacturers want to make sure that not only will companies offering those products be capable of applying the properly and that owners are getting some level of 'apples-to-apples' bids in terms of the installers being able to properly design and install the related systems.  I think it basically comes down to whether the investment is worth it to you.

I expect it to be worth it in terms of ROI, but it bugs me that a product I have been installing for a decade I suddenly have to attend a full day training on. It costs $500 plus expenses, and more so it takes me off making money for the day -- so it costs twice that. And if some fire comes up at a customer site, I and they are SOL until the next day.

I would be much less annoyed IF I knew going in I was actually going to learn something as opposed to getting a rubberstamped piece of paper.

Ed Walters
The Solution LLC: certified: AMX, Audio Architect, Composer, ControlSpace, CTS, DanteL3/DDM, Tesira, and more.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 08:09:15 AM »

I would be much less annoyed IF I knew going in I was actually going to learn something as opposed to getting a rubberstamped piece of paper.
Maybe instead try to look at it as anything new you learn being an added bonus.

I personally often attend more 'remedial' events just to see what is being taught to, and perhaps gain some insights into, potential customers and/or competition.  That can sometimes be valuable information to have.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 08:09:15 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 1.082 seconds with 24 queries.