ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Danley SM 80  (Read 12701 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Danley SM 80
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 12:49:46 PM »

Forgive my ignorance but why Butterworth?

Sincerely,

Merlijn
A Butterworth has a flatter response before the "knee".  Especially in subs-you can get a bit more deeper bass before it "drops off.

We use mostly Butterworth and Bessel fitlers for xovers.  I cannot think of an instance in which we used a L/R-mainly due to the phase shiift
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 06:02:53 PM »

Forgive my ignorance but why Butterworth?

Sincerely,

Merlijn

It tastes better on pancakes... ;D

Chip Dryden

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 06:41:04 AM »

Would running a system with "aux fed subs" work with the SM80's

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 08:43:52 AM »

Why wouldn't it?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 08:49:46 AM »

The possibility that hearing a separation between sub and sm80 might be possible is the two aren't kept close enough together.  The SM80 doesn't reach down low enough to that "ideal" 80-100hz crossover range where this problem becomes less problematic.
Also, if the operator doesn't understand how the crossover point shifts when using an aux fed system, the spatial effect between the subs and tops could be more noticeable during a performance, and for the better.

Still, it is possible, just might need to be more aware of tuning it in.

Best regards,

John

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 09:13:47 AM »

The possibility that hearing a separation between sub and sm80 might be possible is the two aren't kept close enough together.  The SM80 doesn't reach down low enough to that "ideal" 80-100hz crossover range where this problem becomes less problematic.
Also, if the operator doesn't understand how the crossover point shifts when using an aux fed system, the spatial effect between the subs and tops could be more noticeable during a performance, and for the better.

Still, it is possible, just might need to be more aware of tuning it in.

Best regards,

John
You can always "play a little game" in the DSP.  Set it up so that the OUTPUT side of the sub path is crossed over to the SM80-so that with the full range signal input the system is flat.

On the INPUT side of the SUB send-use  a lower lowpass filter for those signals.

Now you also have to account for the additional latency of the new low pass filter-so the input delay on the full range signal needs to be adjusted as well.

I have done that numerous times on a variety of systems of the years and it works just fine.

Heck I do it when doing gigs with a single Jericho Horn per side (no subs) to get the "effect" of aux subs-even though the PA is a single full range cabinet.  Same idea.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 10:15:52 AM by Ivan Beaver »
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jonathan Betts

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/JLB-Sound-and-Production/156817657745906
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 07:33:03 PM »

Edit:

New video coming soon.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 01:53:06 PM by Jonathan Betts »

Chip Dryden

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2013, 08:59:17 PM »

Thanks for the comments. I don't run aux subs. During a convo. with a local BE he said my SM80's don't go low enough. I thought I'd post here for your opinions. Appreciate it. I really like these SM80's ALLOT!!!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2013, 09:17:03 PM »

Thanks for the comments. I don't run aux subs. During a convo. with a local BE he said my SM80's don't go low enough. I thought I'd post here for your opinions. Appreciate it. I really like these SM80's ALLOT!!!
Low enough for what and as compared to?  Remember that a lot of the design concept was to be used with subs so sacrifice was made to the lower end of the response to get gains in other areas.

HOWEVER you can "fake" the low end a bit.  It is not the same as using subs-but can help "fill in" the reponse if you need it.

The SM80 is a sealed box.  This means a couple of things.  First of all the impedance is high down low.  For example at 100Hz it is 30 ohms.

This means you can apply quite a bit of voltage at the lower freq without doing a lot of heating.

Also because it is sealed-the small back volume helps to reduce excursion.

So you can apply a decent sized boost (I have done 10-12dB around 80-100Hz) and get a good bit more bass out of it-at fairly high levels.

The reason for a sealed box was the slower rolloff, making it easier to integrate with subs.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Chip Dryden

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2013, 10:25:18 PM »

Good stuff Ivan. I took what he said with a grain of salt anyway.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2013, 10:25:18 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.