ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Help on HD system  (Read 6474 times)

Jacob Broadway

Video Help on HD system
« on: November 06, 2013, 10:11:43 AM »

Hello gents,

We're upgrading to HD in a church with cameras running HD-SDI to a Blackmagic Atem 1 m/e switcher. We're also putting in an HD projector with the primary feed being ProPresenter 5 from an iMac. I am using a Kramer HDMI switcher to send DVD player or ProPresenter to the projector but would like to send a camera feed as well. What would be the best method for sending a feed from the Blackmagic switcher back to the projector assuming it would also need to go through the Kramer. The Kramer is a 4x2 HDMI switcher but I can get something else if this solution requires it.

Thanks

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Video Help on HD system
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 12:39:18 PM »

I guess I like to start with addressing the more general "what are you trying to do" approach.  For example, you apparently have some number of cameras, a DVD player and an iMac running ProPresenter as sources, but what are the destinations (just a projector or is recording, streaming or distribution also involved) and how do you want all of those to relate?  Do you want to treat all the inputs the same, e.g. be able to transition between a camera and ProPresenter like you do between cameras?  Is the camera switching separate for a reason?  Is the goal of running the cameras to the projector for i-mag use?

How do you plan on addressing audio, is that handled through the ATEM and Kramer or do you mix the audio separately?

Basically, the better you can define your situation and goals, the better people can offer suggestions that support those.

Jacob Broadway

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 01:07:45 PM »

Hi Brad/all,

I am streaming. I am also upgrading the projection system. Three cameras feed to the Blackmagic for streaming. The Kramer sends DVD or ProPresenter to the projector and Blackmagic. I would like to send the Blackmagic output to the projector in case there's a need to display the camera feed on screen. But the projector will typically stay on ProPresenter for song lyrics, announcements, and sermon notes so its a separate view than the streaming view. I hope that clarifies enough to answer my initial question.

thanks

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 12:36:06 PM »

Hi Brad/all,

I am streaming. I am also upgrading the projection system. Three cameras feed to the Blackmagic for streaming. The Kramer sends DVD or ProPresenter to the projector and Blackmagic. I would like to send the Blackmagic output to the projector in case there's a need to display the camera feed on screen. But the projector will typically stay on ProPresenter for song lyrics, announcements, and sermon notes so its a separate view than the streaming view. I hope that clarifies enough to answer my initial question.

thanks
Connect everything to the ATEM. Connect your streaming to the PROGRAM output, but your projector to the AUX output. Typically, you would assign the PROPRESENTER input as the direct feed for the AUX output, but you can switch that to the PROGRAM feed for when you need IMAG. No need for the Kramer. Page 43 of the ATEM manual.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 12:39:04 PM by Jonathan Kok »

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 08:41:46 AM »

Connect everything to the ATEM. Connect your streaming to the PROGRAM output, but your projector to the AUX output. Typically, you would assign the PROPRESENTER input as the direct feed for the AUX output, but you can switch that to the PROGRAM feed for when you need IMAG. No need for the Kramer. Page 43 of the ATEM manual.
Just keep in mind that one potential limitation of the ATEM series is that you have to select a single resolution and scan rate that applies to all of the ATEM inputs and outputs.  In addition, the ATEM only directly supports YUV color space.  That means that either any computer or other sources as well as projectors or other destination have to support the settings available with and selected for the ATEM or you may have to also address any related scaling, scan rate conversion and/or color space conversion required to get all the sources and destinations to be compatibvle with the ATEM.

The ATEM 1 M/E will support 720p50, 720p59.94, 1080i50 and, 1080i59.94 'video' signals along with 720 x 480 59.94Hz, 720 x 576 50Hz, 1280 x 720 59.94Hz 50Hz and 1920 x 1080 59.94Hz 50Hz 'computer' signals and all as YUV color space.  However, it is not that the switcher accepts a variety of those signals simultaneously and instead that one single primary signal format, usually 720p59.94 or 1080i5.94 for the US, must be selected and then all connected devices must then support that one signal format.

A simple example of the potential impact is that having the ATEM in the video path will limit any system to 720p or 1080i.  You may have a 1080p capable source and a 1920x1080 native resolution projector but the ATEM does not support 1080p.  And not only will that limit the resolution, it could actually require additional latency to then convert the 720p or 1080i, YUV volor space signal to 1920x1080, RGB color space at the projector for display.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 08:41:46 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.