ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: daylight savings time  (Read 8440 times)

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
Re: daylight savings time
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 08:44:03 pm »

When I last worked in bars around here, no one took advantage of the extra hour, and in return the cops didn't shut them down an hour early in the spring.
The time changes officially happen at 0200, so there is no legal way to "shut them down an hour early in spring."  In the "Spring Forward", at 0200 it becomes 0300 - net effect is ziltch.  In the "Fall Back", at 0200 it becomes 0100 again.  I can't imagine any business not taking advantage of this, but I'm sure some exist.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

David Parker

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 09:26:50 pm »

I would also like to point out that it is not only the venue who should be responsible to ask the question. 

The band should have looked ahead and asked the question also.  Does the band contract say from 9 to 2 or
does the band contract claim 4 hours of show from start with two 15 minute breaks??

I don't think the band had a contract, just a gentleman's agreement. Next year will be different. Another band I work for occasionally played last night and shut down at 1:45 as usual, no questions asked. All the bars stay open the extra hour, but most have not asked the band to play later. The club where I was last night is one of a local chain, and I'm sure someone in upper management got this idea and failed to relate it properly. It did make for a sticky situation. Some bands I know would have to repeat a previous set, wouldn't have the reportoire  to cover another set. This band had plenty of material. I thought the last set was the best set. This has not been the norm in the area, so next year we'll know to ask.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 09:27:13 pm »

David Parker

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 09:29:20 pm »

The time changes officially happen at 0200, so there is no legal way to "shut them down an hour early in spring."  In the "Spring Forward", at 0200 it becomes 0300 - net effect is ziltch.  In the "Fall Back", at 0200 it becomes 0100 again.  I can't imagine any business not taking advantage of this, but I'm sure some exist.

all of them I know of around here stay open the extra hour, but have not asked the bands to cover that time. That means the band plays 5 hours with 4 15 minute breaks. That's a long night. Next year I'll ask.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 09:11:35 am »

Wow!  In over 30 years of playing music and doing sound all over the country, I have never run into an issue with Daylight Savings time!  The time change always took affect after the gig.  I have never been asked to play longer or quit early because of time change.

In Pa., where I now mostly work, the bar closes at 2:00 AM and the clock is changed afterwards - the state does not allow an "extra" hour.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 09:14:31 am by Chuck Simon »

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 11:01:50 am »

Last night I was providing for a band playing in a club. At 1:45 the band tells the audience good night. The manager throws a fit, tells them they have to play until 2:45, because, since it's daylight savings time "fall back", they get to stay open another hour, so the band has to play. Anyone else run into this? We stayed and played, making it a long night. They played from 9:45pm to 2:45am, with 4 15 minute breaks, I played mp3's on the breaks. Somebody from the club (it's a local chain) was supposed to contact the bands, but they had not contacted anyone from this band. I thought I was gonna get an extra hour of sleep!

In my town (probably the entire country) the practice has always been that the closing time of the establishemt is according to the clock on the register which shall not be touched until after closing time. 

This means that the place is open the same amount of hours on the night of both "adjustments", and from a liqour licensing standpoint, the bar closes "equally late" as perceived by the patroins going out that night (read:  they go home about equally drunk as they would have been if the clock had not been set that night).

This year was different in my town:  Last spring, the bars were all forced by the police to close an hour early, but they were denied the opportunity to keep serving for an extra hour this fall.  Needless to say, loyalty towards the liqour licensing board has taken a hit...

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 12:52:23 pm »

In my town (probably the entire country) the practice has always been that the closing time of the establishemt is according to the clock on the register which shall not be touched until after closing time. 

This means that the place is open the same amount of hours on the night of both "adjustments", and from a liqour licensing standpoint, the bar closes "equally late" as perceived by the patroins going out that night (read:  they go home about equally drunk as they would have been if the clock had not been set that night).

This year was different in my town:  Last spring, the bars were all forced by the police to close an hour early, but they were denied the opportunity to keep serving for an extra hour this fall.  Needless to say, loyalty towards the liqour licensing board has taken a hit...
I'm no lawyer, but I'd bet a paycheck this could be successfully challenged in a court of law.  Federal Law trumps all State and Local laws.  The official time of day is regulated by the U.S. Government.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 12:58:30 pm »

I'm no lawyer, but I'd bet a paycheck this could be successfully challenged in a court of law.  Federal Law trumps all State and Local laws.  The official time of day is regulated by the U.S. Government.

I will take that bet and give you 100 to 1 odds as well.

I little insider information including the fact that Kristian doesn't live in the US.
Jay Barracato

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 01:01:14 pm »

.... and why do you suppose Norway gives a toss about what the USA says ??
This here is a big, big audience. Nice to get perspectives about how the rest of the world thinks. Not just what is "normal" in North America.
In Canada, Saskatchewan doesn't follow DST, so maybe it's a provincial thing, not federal.
Don't know, don't really care. As long as my checque clears, I'll be where you want, when you want.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 01:03:09 pm »

.... and why do you suppose Norway gives a toss about what the USA says ??
This here is a big, big audience. Nice to get perspectives about how the rest of the world thinks. Not just what is "normal" in North America.
In Canada, Saskatchewan doesn't follow DST, bo maybe it's a provincial thing, not federal.
Don't know, don't really care. As long as my checque clears, I'll be where you want, when you want.
Mia Culpa. I answered without looking at the poster's location.  With questions of DST, I assumed we were speaking of the USA.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 01:03:09 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 26 queries.