ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: daylight savings time  (Read 8452 times)

David Parker

daylight savings time
« on: November 03, 2013, 04:50:49 pm »

Last night I was providing for a band playing in a club. At 1:45 the band tells the audience good night. The manager throws a fit, tells them they have to play until 2:45, because, since it's daylight savings time "fall back", they get to stay open another hour, so the band has to play. Anyone else run into this? We stayed and played, making it a long night. They played from 9:45pm to 2:45am, with 4 15 minute breaks, I played mp3's on the breaks. Somebody from the club (it's a local chain) was supposed to contact the bands, but they had not contacted anyone from this band. I thought I was gonna get an extra hour of sleep!

David Simpson

Re: daylight savings time
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 05:16:24 pm »

This is pretty standard in my area. Although, typically, the group receives an extra few bucks to compensate them for the extended set. Although you would hope the promoter / club owner would be proactive in having the conversation, as someone working or playing the gig I would ask ahead of time how the situation was being addressed due knowing there is added time in the day. If the band has a contract for a certain number of sets or length of time, of course that completely changes things.

~Dave

David Parker

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 05:19:16 pm »

This is pretty standard in my area. Although, typically, the group receives an extra few bucks to compensate them for the extended set. Although you would hope the promoter / club owner would be proactive in having the conversation, as someone working or playing the gig I would ask ahead of time how the situation was being addressed due knowing there is added time in the day. If the band has a contract for a certain number of sets or length of time, of course that completely changes things.

~Dave
someone from the club was supposed to contact the band, but they did not. It has not been the standard around here. One of my other bands was playing elsewhere, and they shut down at the usual time, so it is not at this point in time the standard around here. Next year this time I will hit whatever band I'm working for up and get some sort of a heads up from the club.

John Chiara

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 05:23:35 pm »

Last night I was providing for a band playing in a club. At 1:45 the band tells the audience good night. The manager throws a fit, tells them they have to play until 2:45, because, since it's daylight savings time "fall back", they get to stay open another hour, so the band has to play. Anyone else run into this? We stayed and played, making it a long night. They played from 9:45pm to 2:45am, with 4 15 minute breaks, I played mp3's on the breaks. Somebody from the club (it's a local chain) was supposed to contact the bands, but they had not contacted anyone from this band. I thought I was gonna get an extra hour of sleep!

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 05:43:23 pm »

"Fall Back Saturday" is a coveted gig in bar-land.  That extra hour of sales makes for a happy bar owner, happy patrons, appreciative crowds, and happy bands.  The aftermath makes for happy DUI lawyers.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

David Simpson

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 06:05:35 pm »

someone from the club was supposed to contact the band, but they did not. It has not been the standard around here. One of my other bands was playing elsewhere, and they shut down at the usual time, so it is not at this point in time the standard around here. Next year this time I will hit whatever band I'm working for up and get some sort of a heads up from the club.

That is a big difference. I can't think of a single place around here that does not take advantage of the extra hour and stay open later. Since that is not the norm in your area, then I would definitely say the burden is on the venue to communicate. The last thing you want that time of night is a surprise like that.

~Dave

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 06:45:04 pm »

I'm shocked...

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

duane massey

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 06:58:15 pm »

Down here in Texas we have a patchwork of different closing times by law. Back in the 80's we played a club that came up to us at 1:30 and told us we needed to play an extra set, for no extra $$. After a brief discussion with us saying "No", they first threatened us with the usual "You'll never play here again", but eventually paid us an extra $150 for a 1/2 set after 2AM. And we did play there again, several times.
Out in the sticks a lot of bars can't stay open past 1AM on Saturdays, so it's a moot point.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 07:42:54 pm »

I would also like to point out that it is not only the venue who should be responsible to ask the question. 

The band should have looked ahead and asked the question also.  Does the band contract say from 9 to 2 or
does the band contract claim 4 hours of show from start with two 15 minute breaks?? 

Kemper Watson

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 08:13:14 pm »

When I last worked in bars around here, no one took advantage of the extra hour, and in return the cops didn't shut them down an hour early in the spring.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 08:13:14 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.