ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Blizzard wiCICLE  (Read 10370 times)

TJ (Tom) McDonald

Blizzard wiCICLE
« on: November 03, 2013, 10:33:37 am »

Does anyone here have great working knowledge of the Blizzard wireless interface?  I'm running out of JANDS Vista split to two "universe" outputs.  One hardwired and the other through the Blizzard wireless.  I'm having so many issues with loss of control, flashing lights, and spontaneous blinking.  The transmitter and receiver are in sight-line and well within the listed 1000ft distance.  The weird part is how the problems are solved.  They're either fixed by completely rebooting the system, unplugging and replugging the transmitter, or by a strange third way.  There are 2 particular Stellar Lab LED fixtures I have on stage, and often the problems are fixed by simply unplugging and replugging the DMX inputs to those 2 fixtures.  I'm at a loss.  Anyone have any ideas?  I'd much appreciate it.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 11:43:43 am »

I'm at a loss.  Anyone have any ideas?  I'd much appreciate it.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Blizzard wiCICLE
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 08:59:27 am »

Does anyone here have great working knowledge of the Blizzard wireless interface?  I'm running out of JANDS Vista split to two "universe" outputs.  One hardwired and the other through the Blizzard wireless.  I'm having so many issues with loss of control, flashing lights, and spontaneous blinking.  The transmitter and receiver are in sight-line and well within the listed 1000ft distance.  The weird part is how the problems are solved.  They're either fixed by completely rebooting the system, unplugging and replugging the transmitter, or by a strange third way.  There are 2 particular Stellar Lab LED fixtures I have on stage, and often the problems are fixed by simply unplugging and replugging the DMX inputs to those 2 fixtures.  I'm at a loss.  Anyone have any ideas?  I'd much appreciate it.
Welcome from one TJ to another.  I have no specific experience with the Blizzard wireless, but in light of interference with a couple fixtures, have you tried an isolated DMX splitter?

TJ (Tom) McDonald

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 09:22:17 am »

I have not!  Wouldn't DMX jitter and reflections bad enough to cause those problems be eliminated by a terminator?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 09:25:21 am by TJ (Tom) McDonald »

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 09:49:52 am »

I have not!  Wouldn't DMX jitter and reflections bad enough to cause those problems be eliminated by a terminator?
Not necessarily.  Interestingly, sometimes terminators can make it worse - if one of your cables has an open pin, sometimes the DMX input chip can run on a single ended input and still work, but if that line is terminated, it doesn't

YMMV, but splitters are recommended when you get 16 or so fixtures in a line.  I also find them very convenient for cabling - figuring out how to daisy-chain everything sometimes is a challenge. 

I have this one: http://www.chauvetlighting.com/data-stream-4.html, and there are a number of others for less than $200.

Not sure if you're using real DMX cabling or regular audio cabling, but that could be a contributing factor as well.

duane massey

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 07:15:13 pm »

Simple test: remove the two Stellar lab fixtures and see if the problem goes away. I have had several instances where a particular fixture (NOT brand specific, everything from ADJ to Chauvet to Lightwave to Stage Ape) was intermittently sending bad data across the line. In one case it took a while, as the problems would show up and then vanish before I could get onsite to look for them.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 09:45:23 am »

Another thing to consider is WiFi interference,  These are running in 2.4 

Run the Inssidder program and see what is going on in the airwaves in the 2.4 band.

Are you competing with 3, 5, 10 wifi connections??

Don Gspann

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 09:02:31 am »

If you find a solution to your problem, please post the solution. I have an audio customer who uses the Wicicles and constantly has the same issue you describe.  He has tried everything Blizzard has suggested, even had Blizzard re flash his units. Another DJ he knows also has the same problem, but according to Blizzard, "your the only one with the problem". I wish I had a dime for every time a manufacturer told me that, only to find out its a known issue! I chalked it up to a cheap wireless DMX system, and suggested he save up for a real one. 

TJ (Tom) McDonald

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 10:27:40 am »

Will do.  I'm thinking it's probably the same thing; just a cheap lighting system...  I'll try hooking up some DMX splitters when I get the budget room and let you know.

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 12:42:59 pm »

Will do.  I'm thinking it's probably the same thing; just a cheap lighting system...  I'll try hooking up some DMX splitters when I get the budget room and let you know.
TJ,
Did you ever get a handheld DMX analyzer? We chatted about it on a previous thread here. it would really come in handy to locate the source of any bad DMX data.

Best regards,
Bob
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 22 queries.