ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha DXR/DSR vs FBT ProMaxx?  (Read 14097 times)

Richard Penrose

Yamaha DXR/DSR vs FBT ProMaxx?
« on: November 02, 2013, 05:06:43 AM »

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience with both the Yamaha DXR or DSR speakers and the FBT PRomaxx range?

Scott Bolt

Re: Yamaha DXR/DSR vs FBT ProMaxx?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience with both the Yamaha DXR or DSR speakers and the FBT PRomaxx range?

Richard,

The DSR115 is a significant upgrade in output compared to the DXR.  It is a full class upgrade in output regardless of what the specs say.

It is also the best in its class (price range) and competes well with speakers that cost quite a bit more too.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 03:29:05 PM »

Richard,

The DSR115 is a significant upgrade in output compared to the DXR.  It is a full class upgrade in output regardless of what the specs say.

It is also the best in its class (price range) and competes well with speakers that cost quite a bit more too.

Thanks for the reply Scott. I'm thinking more the Yamaha DSR112 due to the weight. I already have the DXR15's and find them to be about the limit of what I feel I could carry myself on a regular basis and stick up on speaker poles. The DXR15's weigh 22.5kg and the DSR 15's weigh 28kg which is closer to the weight of my subs! Both the Yamaha DSR112's and FBT Promaxx 14a's are lighter than the DXR15's at 21.2kg and 16.5kg.

Evan Hunter

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 04:46:01 PM »

Richard,

I agree with all of this. A band I work with has a pair of DSR112s on monitors and they are fantastic. Only thing I DONT like is that you cannot mirror them as stage monitors.

We got a Demo of Two DXR10s one DXR12 and one DXR 15" sub. The DXR are not as loud and just dont sound as good. They really sound kind of honky and the sub was a little boomy it seemed.

After working on DSR112s for a while I am getting a quote from my company for 6 of them. They sound very good, light weight and also have a small footprint in the trailer and as a floor monitor.
Evan F. Hunter
Cleveland Ohio, Houston Texas
EFHunter4419 (at) G Mail. Com
https://www.facebook.com/FosterSound
EV QRX, JBL SRX, Turbosound Milan, Soundcraft Expression, Soundcraft Vi1

Scott Bolt

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 03:08:46 PM »

Thanks for the reply Scott. I'm thinking more the Yamaha DSR112 due to the weight. I already have the DXR15's and find them to be about the limit of what I feel I could carry myself on a regular basis and stick up on speaker poles. The DXR15's weigh 22.5kg and the DSR 15's weigh 28kg which is closer to the weight of my subs! Both the Yamaha DSR112's and FBT Promaxx 14a's are lighter than the DXR15's at 21.2kg and 16.5kg.
Hi Richard,

I own and use the DSR112's.  I use them over PRX618S-XLF's for our full band gigs, and just the DSR112's for solo or duo work.

As great a speaker as the DSR112 is, it is no match for the LF extension you will get on the DXR15 when stand alone.  If you are talking over a sub, then they are more than potent enough in the LF.  In fact, I think that they do LF punch better than any other 12" speaker in this price range.

If using them as tops over subs, then the DSR112 will do it quite well.

Depending on what subs you are using, the DSR112's may well be able to handle 2 subs per side before running out of steam.

On my rig, the XLF's are particularly potent subs (compared to others in this price range) and the DSR's have more gas left when the XLF's are tickling the limit lights.  I would point out that this is a pretty loud level capable of doing a decent sized club of 400 people at rock levels.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 04:02:25 PM »

Hi Richard,

I own and use the DSR112's.  I use them over PRX618S-XLF's for our full band gigs, and just the DSR112's for solo or duo work.

As great a speaker as the DSR112 is, it is no match for the LF extension you will get on the DXR15 when stand alone.  If you are talking over a sub, then they are more than potent enough in the LF.  In fact, I think that they do LF punch better than any other 12" speaker in this price range.

If using them as tops over subs, then the DSR112 will do it quite well.

Depending on what subs you are using, the DSR112's may well be able to handle 2 subs per side before running out of steam.

On my rig, the XLF's are particularly potent subs (compared to others in this price range) and the DSR's have more gas left when the XLF's are tickling the limit lights.  I would point out that this is a pretty loud level capable of doing a decent sized club of 400 people at rock levels.

Thanks Scott. I use the DXR15's both with and without subs depending on the venue. We do some gigs with just the tops and put bass and kick or sometimes a Roland V-Drums kit through them with surprisingly good results!
Not sure if the DSR112's would be as suitable for the standalone applications without subs?

Anyone know how the FBT Promaxx 14a's would fare in this role?

Richard Penrose

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 04:37:52 AM »

Can anyone comment on how they find stand mounting the DSR112's without handles on the sides?

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 10:06:20 AM »

Can anyone comment on how they find stand mounting the DSR112's without handles on the sides?
One hand under, one hand on the side - up she goes.  I use this exact same technique with JBL PRX also.  They do have a single handle which I never touch.

The DSRs are great.  The DXRs are less so.  I have no experience with the FBT ProMaxx.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Steve Garris

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 03:02:52 PM »

Another nod to the DSR's. They sound great and get stupid loud. I really need (2) more but can't afford them right now  :-\

Alan R Roberts

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 11:36:26 AM »

[quote
Anyone know how the FBT Promaxx 14a's would fare in this role?
[/quote]

I got to listen to the Promaxx 14a a couple of years ago when it first came out. In my opinion it was excellent, one of the best sounding plastic speakers out there, and extremely lightweight. However, I did not get to try it at a gig. I do own the HiMaxx 40a, one of its predecessors, and it has excellent bass and could handle your requirements without breaking a sweat. I'm fond of FBT products, especially at the price point you are talking about.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 11:36:26 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.