Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Busted power strip....

<< < (2/3) > >>

Mike Sokol:

--- Quote from: Jordan Wolf on October 30, 2013, 12:55:52 PM ---Ooh...what an appropriate thread!

We found this at our corporate event just a few days ago.  Apparently someone doing overnight cleaning had an issue - the strip was still plugged in and the "ON" light glowing when we found it.  Oh, and the HOT pin was still stuck in the slot that had arced...

Needless to say, I cut the cord off of it and brought it home so I know it won't be used again.

--- End quote ---

I've got one laying around in the junk bin somewhere that looks very similar. And I cut the cord off as well to prevent "emergency use". I think that space heaters are some of the worst offenders since they can easily draw 12 amps or so for a 1,500 watt heater, and that's a lot of receptacle contact heating going on for long periods of time. My local fire company chief (who happens to be the first drummer I ever played with in a band when I was 15 years old) told me they always get a bunch of electrical fires the first few cold nights of the season when the space heaters get plugged into power strips. 

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS:

--- Quote from: Jordan Wolf on October 30, 2013, 12:55:52 PM ---Ooh...what an appropriate thread!

We found this at our corporate event just a few days ago.  Apparently someone doing overnight cleaning had an issue - the strip was still plugged in and the "ON" light glowing when we found it.  Oh, and the HOT pin was still stuck in the slot that had arced...

Needless to say, I cut the cord off of it and brought it home so I know it won't be used again.

--- End quote ---

Corporate gig?    So they charged you $29.00 per day to rent the slower strip and then $179.00 to replace it since it got damaged, right?

Jordan Wolf:

--- Quote from: RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS on October 31, 2013, 08:33:45 AM ---Corporate gig?    So they charged you $29.00 per day to rent the slower strip and then $179.00 to replace it since it got damaged, right?

--- End quote ---
At some places, maybe that would be the case, but...we're the in-house AV company here.  The hotel charges for power distro - tie-ins, tails, and distro boxes; we have our own dimmers and distros that we use for shows that use us instead of bringing in outside production.

That being said, we weren't using the power strip in any capacity (or ampacity), we just found it like that in the morning and decided to make the situation "safe".  If it came down to it, I'd pay that $179 for a new strip if it meant possibly saving someone's life - that's a small price to pay.

Jonathan Johnson:

--- Quote from: Jordan Wolf on October 30, 2013, 12:55:52 PM ---Needless to say, I cut the cord off of it and brought it home so I know it won't be used again.

--- End quote ---

Any time I discard a failed cord (whether power, audio, network, or anything else) I ALWAYS cut the ends off. Otherwise, someone WILL fish it out of the trash and try to reuse it.

Jordan Wolf:

--- Quote from: Jonathan Johnson on November 02, 2013, 04:07:30 PM ---Any time I discard a failed cord (whether power, audio, network, or anything else) I ALWAYS cut the ends off. Otherwise, someone WILL fish it out of the trash and try to reuse it.

--- End quote ---
I have learned to never underestimate the power of stupidity.  It's a shame...and just one more thing we have to worry about and consider.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version