ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Busted power strip....  (Read 12238 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Busted power strip....
« on: October 29, 2013, 11:34:51 PM »

Found this when I was setting up the PA for our Tuesday Night youth church service(we have to setup and tear down our rig every week). One of the band members had the thing hooked up with a couple of instrument amps plugged into it before I noticed..... :O

Needless to say it's deep in the trash now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Barry Singleton

Re: Busted power strip....
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 11:43:53 PM »

On the bright side, at least it's the neutral side.
If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Kevin Graf

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 10:37:37 AM »

"One of the band members"
Let me guess:  it was the bass player?
Speedskater

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 12:43:52 PM »

"One of the band members"
Let me guess:  it was the bass player?
Well he wasn't playing bass last night, but he does on occasion(along with electric guitar, drums, keys, and banjo). The bass amp was one of the things plugged into it when  I found it though. ;D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 12:55:52 PM »

Found this when I was setting up the PA for our Tuesday Night youth church service...
Ooh...what an appropriate thread!

We found this at our corporate event just a few days ago.  Apparently someone doing overnight cleaning had an issue - the strip was still plugged in and the "ON" light glowing when we found it.  Oh, and the HOT pin was still stuck in the slot that had arced...

Needless to say, I cut the cord off of it and brought it home so I know it won't be used again.

Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 03:12:19 PM »

We found this at our corporate event just a few days ago.  Apparently someone doing overnight cleaning had an issue - the strip was still plugged in and the "ON" light glowing when we found it.  Oh, and the HOT pin was still stuck in the slot that had arced...

Needless to say, I cut the cord off of it and brought it home so I know it won't be used again.

I've got one laying around in the junk bin somewhere that looks very similar. And I cut the cord off as well to prevent "emergency use". I think that space heaters are some of the worst offenders since they can easily draw 12 amps or so for a 1,500 watt heater, and that's a lot of receptacle contact heating going on for long periods of time. My local fire company chief (who happens to be the first drummer I ever played with in a band when I was 15 years old) told me they always get a bunch of electrical fires the first few cold nights of the season when the space heaters get plugged into power strips. 

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 08:33:45 AM »

Corporate gig?    So they charged you $29.00 per day to rent the slower strip and then $179.00 to replace it since it got damaged, right?

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 10:44:29 PM »

Corporate gig?    So they charged you $29.00 per day to rent the slower strip and then $179.00 to replace it since it got damaged, right?
At some places, maybe that would be the case, but...we're the in-house AV company here.  The hotel charges for power distro - tie-ins, tails, and distro boxes; we have our own dimmers and distros that we use for shows that use us instead of bringing in outside production.

That being said, we weren't using the power strip in any capacity (or ampacity), we just found it like that in the morning and decided to make the situation "safe".  If it came down to it, I'd pay that $179 for a new strip if it meant possibly saving someone's life - that's a small price to pay.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 04:07:30 PM »

Any time I discard a failed cord (whether power, audio, network, or anything else) I ALWAYS cut the ends off. Otherwise, someone WILL fish it out of the trash and try to reuse it.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 06:54:54 PM »

Any time I discard a failed cord (whether power, audio, network, or anything else) I ALWAYS cut the ends off. Otherwise, someone WILL fish it out of the trash and try to reuse it.
I have learned to never underestimate the power of stupidity.  It's a shame...and just one more thing we have to worry about and consider.
Jordan Wolf
<><

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 06:54:54 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.