Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Ipad  (Read 25063 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Ipad
« on: October 26, 2013, 07:50:58 PM »

I don't do Macintosh unless it's got tubes in it. But, now that I've gone digital and Soundcraft will be releasing their new app soon I would like to buy an Ipad. I don't want to spend lot's of money on something I'll use for only one application when an Ipad 2 would probably work fine. Any recommendations for the Ipad and router? Or should I just get the Ipad and use one of the dozen routers I have laying around the house? Maybe even the one my left foot is literally on top of right now........ Cisco E2500.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Rick Earl

Re: Ipad
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 09:18:14 PM »

Any recommendations for the Ipad and router? Or should I just get the Ipad and use one of the dozen routers I have laying around the house? Maybe even the one my left foot is literally on top of right now........ Cisco E2500.

I've had no problems with any routers I have used, as long as they are managed well.

I don't see any issues with an Ipad 2, it might become obsolete sooner, as some of the later OS updates will no longer work and eventually the same with the apps.  Usually at that point, they come out with something new and you can get a deal on the previous model.
The other tablets are a bit more useful for other things, and at a much better price, I wish manufacturers would start developing apps for for those too, but I guess the ROI is not high enough yet.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 10:01:11 PM »

I had an iPad prior to having a smartphone.  In that situation I used the iPad a lot, because it made everything easier... mail, web, forums, VNC, it was great.  I went from the iPad one, and have now been on the iPad2 since the day it was released.   I haven't seen any "got to have feature" on the latest editions.  I invested a little bit in apps, mostly audio related, and ended up with an iPhone.   I found that my iPad usage decreased to about 10% of my pre smart phone use.    I really only use it for mixer apps and forum browsing at this point.

Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 10:22:01 PM »

I don't do Macintosh unless it's got tubes in it. But, now that I've gone digital and Soundcraft will be releasing their new app soon I would like to buy an Ipad. I don't want to spend lot's of money on something I'll use for only one application when an Ipad 2 would probably work fine. Any recommendations for the Ipad and router? Or should I just get the Ipad and use one of the dozen routers I have laying around the house? Maybe even the one my left foot is literally on top of right now........ Cisco E2500.

Bob as someone who follows smartphone and tablet tech fairly closely I'd have a hard  time recommending the iPad 2 as they are getting pretty old and it won't be long before they're like my iPad 1 and not getting new OS updates. If the smaller size of the new Retina iPad Mini(2nd Gen Mini)  is a problem you'd probably be much happier in the long run with the new iPad Air that was just released. The new mini is the same price as the iPad 2 and is a MUCH better device than the 2; it is actually spec'd the same as the new iPad Air so it won't go out of date for a while. With the $100 price difference between the 2 and the Air I'd say getting the Air is a no brainer.

It's really a shame that the console manufacturers aren't supporting Android more, the new Nexus 7 is a much better "bargain" than the new iPads.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 10:39:56 PM »

Hi Bob

I would suggest a refub gen 3. The refurb units from the Online apple store are as new. They put the innards in new cases.

For a router, use one that lets you shut down the 2.4gHz radio. Use 5gHz.
Set an SSID that is not interesting. Don't use the default.  Mine is lasn (lynx audio services n). I use a Netgear WNDR3700.

Choose an uncommon channel number. Not the default or common ones.

Choose a subnet that isn't a default with any routers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 11:38:57 AM »

Hi Bob

I would suggest a refub gen 3. The refurb units from the Online apple store are as new. They put the innards in new cases.

For a router, use one that lets you shut down the 2.4gHz radio. Use 5gHz.
Set an SSID that is not interesting. Don't use the default.  Mine is lasn (lynx audio services n). I use a Netgear WNDR3700.

Choose an uncommon channel number. Not the default or common ones.

Choose a subnet that isn't a default with any routers.

+1 with a few changes.  1. Hide your SSID.  2. Use the clearest channel (common or uncommon is irrelevant).  3.  If your radio is setup optimally, the choice of subnet is irrelevant.  Use any public network space as defined in RFC1918.

And yes, any WAP that you have will work fine.  I like 5GHz band, but honestly that's becoming less relevant every day as more 5GHz devices are in the wild.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 12:06:46 PM »

I use an iPad 2, have not had any issues. If buying now I think I'd have to seek out a newer one that has the newer charging port. Silly reason, I know, I feel like they 'got me', but it's annoying to seek out 30pin chargers in a world of lightning chargers. Yamaha stagemix is a little slow on the iPad 2, I wonder how Soundcraft's new app will fare.

I've had great luck buying apple returns over the years. Better prices, similar warranties, current gen products.

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 01:37:46 PM »

One more note on the wifi.

Download inssider from metageek, it's a wifi scanner and you've probably heard of it. It's probably the most valuable piece of freeware I have and I use it ALL the time. It will show you what else is out there on both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz so it makes channel selection much easier.

When selecting a channel on 2.4 remember to stay on 1, 6, or 11. You may be on the same channel as another network but its still much better than trying to go between those channels which creates something called adjacent channel interference- not good at all.

5 gig will give you less range but more channel options- i believe there are 9 non overlapping channels here. With 5 gig remember there are power limitations in different parts of the band. Try to use a channel in UNII-3 if possible (channels 149-161) they can use up to 4 watts.

One last wifi note, bob I know you said you had a bunch of old routers laying around. I just threw away a Cisco aionet 1200 ap that would have sold for $800 new and is being outperformed by $50 routers. There are new technologies that are being widely implemented like "beamforming" that are game changers for signal strength. Check it out. Cool stuff.
Ryan Davis

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 01:50:08 PM »

One more note on the wifi.

Download inssider from metageek, it's a wifi scanner and you've probably heard of it. It's probably the most valuable piece of freeware I have and I use it ALL the time. It will show you what else is out there on both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz so it makes channel selection much easier.

When selecting a channel on 2.4 remember to stay on 1, 6, or 11. You may be on the same channel as another network but its still much better than trying to go between those channels which creates something called adjacent channel interference- not good at all.

5 gig will give you less range but more channel options- i believe there are 9 non overlapping channels here. With 5 gig remember there are power limitations in different parts of the band. Try to use a channel in UNII-3 if possible (channels 149-161) they can use up to 4 watts.

One last wifi note, bob I know you said you had a bunch of old routers laying around. I just threw away a Cisco aionet 1200 ap that would have sold for $800 new and is being outperformed by $50 routers. There are new technologies that are being widely implemented like "beamforming" that are game changers for signal strength. Check it out. Cool stuff.

Scanning for good channels at the gig is a waste of time in my opinion. Why? Well, when you would do it, well before the gig, the interference has not arrived yet.

While more devices are on 5gHz, there are still more on 2.4 and range should be fine as long as the router is in the clear.

At the gig, it don't want to be messing with my network if I don't have to.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 01:55:13 PM »

I guess that's your choice. I'd rather not eq the feedback from the monitors but I'd be a fool if I didn't. Why in the world would you not take literally 1 minute to see what else is out there? I think most of the offending ap's are in place well before the show, don't confuse that with connection attempts, those are different items all together.
Ryan Davis

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 01:55:13 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.