Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ipad  (Read 25062 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Ipad
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2013, 09:13:32 PM »

I'm very much into the Otter cases. Best you can get IMO.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2013, 10:29:51 PM »

While I have an Otter case for my iPhone, I bought Griffin Survivor cases for the iPads. I think they offer a bit more protection for the iPads.

A few weeks ago I mixed a show totally on the iPad using the ViSi remote with a Soundcraft Si 3. I had no worries about dropping the tablet as the Griffin case has a nice textured sides that are easy to grip. The Survivor cases are a bit bulkier than the Otter ones, but I would rather have a bit of extra protection than a slimmer case.

Craig
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2013, 02:16:14 AM »

Craig,
A recent review I read told a sad story about the Griffin cases and a problem with a plastic piece that can damage the Ipad when dropped. I was one keystroke away from buying a pair. Any truth to the "review"??

Read the 1 star review at the link below.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iPadSurvCase/
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2013, 09:20:18 AM »

Craig,
A recent review I read told a sad story about the Griffin cases and a problem with a plastic piece that can damage the Ipad when dropped. I was one keystroke away from buying a pair. Any truth to the "review"??

Read the 1 star review at the link below.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iPadSurvCase/

I have that Griffin case on my iPad (v2?  Dunno, it's a couple years old) and have since day 1.  Reading that review made me go take a look to see what in the world they were talking about, as I absolutely love the case and have recommended it to several people.

I suppose there is a small piece of plastic between the switch and the volume button that if dropped exactly in the absolute perfect spot could smash into the volume up button and make it stick, but the fact that he had it happen twice in the exact same spot has got to be dumb luck.  If you were that concerned about it, you could probably take a small file to that piece to create a little relief for the volume button were it to be smashed in that exact spot.

With regards to comments about the dust behind the screen, it happens - it's not a sealed case.  There's flaps for the switch, charge port, camera and headphone jack - it's not going to be 100% impervious to dust.  Big deal.  Pull the iPad out once every few months and clean the dust off.  I maybe remove mine once a year, and it's in an out of a backpack all over the world.  But the Griffin case has definitely protected my screen from some pretty serious scratches, which is exactly what it's designed to do.  Also, check Amazon for the case - that Sweetwater price is more than double what I paid for mine.

Bob, you specifically mentioned a mic stand clamp.  Keep in mind that most of the clamps aren't going to accommodate a case the size of something like the Otter or the Griffin, maybe only a thin sleeve at best.  Most of the musicians I see use the K&M clamps and end up pulling them out of whatever case they have it in to mount it for the gig.

http://products.k-m.de/us/Multimedia-Equipment/Holders

Good luck, YMMV.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2013, 10:26:28 AM »

I have a gumdrop case on my ipad, and it has been great.

http://www.gumdropcases.com/droptech-ipad-5-case.html

I have one of the early cases on mine, before they recessed the home button. Whenever I throw my case into a backpack the screen turns on.  Not a big deal for me as I turn mine off alot, but eitherway, it looks like they fixed this problem.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2013, 12:44:04 PM »

Accessories. Must have accessories. I think I'll start with a mike stand holder and protective case/screen protection.

Remember, the bag needs to match your shoes... ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2013, 01:18:49 PM »

I have that Griffin case on my iPad (v2?  Dunno, it's a couple years old) and have since day 1.  Reading that review made me go take a look to see what in the world they were talking about, as I absolutely love the case and have recommended it to several people.

I suppose there is a small piece of plastic between the switch and the volume button that if dropped exactly in the absolute perfect spot could smash into the volume up button and make it stick, but the fact that he had it happen twice in the exact same spot has got to be dumb luck.  If you were that concerned about it, you could probably take a small file to that piece to create a little relief for the volume button were it to be smashed in that exact spot.

With regards to comments about the dust behind the screen, it happens - it's not a sealed case.  There's flaps for the switch, charge port, camera and headphone jack - it's not going to be 100% impervious to dust.  Big deal.  Pull the iPad out once every few months and clean the dust off.  I maybe remove mine once a year, and it's in an out of a backpack all over the world.  But the Griffin case has definitely protected my screen from some pretty serious scratches, which is exactly what it's designed to do.  Also, check Amazon for the case - that Sweetwater price is more than double what I paid for mine.

Bob, you specifically mentioned a mic stand clamp.  Keep in mind that most of the clamps aren't going to accommodate a case the size of something like the Otter or the Griffin, maybe only a thin sleeve at best.  Most of the musicians I see use the K&M clamps and end up pulling them out of whatever case they have it in to mount it for the gig.

http://products.k-m.de/us/Multimedia-Equipment/Holders

Good luck, YMMV.

Merry Christmas Brian.

I bought the clamp for tablets which is adjustable for size and large enough to hold the Ipad w/ the case (I hope).
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2013, 05:37:20 PM »

It looks like the reviewer put the frame on the wrong way on his iPads. On mine, the plastic is short on the side where the vol buttons are, and longer on the opposite side. I'll bet he just grabbed the frame and snapped it on without realizing it is supposed to go a certain way. If he did put it together the right way, then he is probably the only person to ever have damage to his unit from any case.

I've dropped my iPads onto carpet, tile, and concrete from table top heights with no problems. I'm thinking about getting another iPad or the mini, and I will stick that one in a Survivor case as well.

BTW, the case has a cool stand feature. Here it is standing on the Si3

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 05:40:15 PM by Craig Leerman »
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2013, 05:37:20 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.