Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Ipad  (Read 25062 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Ipad
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2013, 01:05:43 PM »

If this is just for a console control unit, why are you getting 32GB? The 16GB is fine.  Performance is identical, the only difference is how much stuff you can store on it.  i.e., videos, pictures, music, etc.

While the iPad 1 is no longer being updated, you can pick them up dirt cheap and they are still a decent pad.  The iPad 2 probably won't see any more OS updates, but it's still a great unit at a decent price.  The 30 pin connector can actually be an advantage right now, as everyone's got 30 pin charging connectors laying around if something were to happen to yours.  While the new devices have lightning connectors, not everyone has a few spares yet.

The iPad 3 is not my favorite of pads.  It ran a LOT warmer than the iPad 2 and the performance difference wasn't all that great.

The iPad 4 brought the a6x chip which did have quite a speed boost.

The new iPad air is a whole next generation device.  Faster, lighter, better display.  When you look at the relative cost difference, it makes sense just to buy the newest unit, as you're going to get the most longevity out of it.  You're only looking at a couple hundred dollars difference in price at most.  Not having to deal with old technology makes it totally worth it.

The ipad 2 updates to ios 7.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2013, 01:05:58 PM »

On iPads with the cellular data option they use a small card(similar to an SD or microSD card) called a SIM card which holds the data that allows the device to connect to the carriers network. I can't remember if the iPad 3 is universal in that it works on AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, & T-Mobile or if they only either work on certain ones. If they are universal (which I think they are) you can take one that was Verizon originally and put an AT&T SIM in it and use it on AT&T no problem. The term "unlocked" refers to the ability to use the iPad on networks other than the one that it came with. Most, if not all, cellular data iPads are sold with a specific carriers SIM card installed and they have a prepaid data plan that can be turned on and off month to month.

That said if you don't need/want the cellular data option it's best to get one that's Wi-Fi only, not to mention the Wi-Fi only ones are cheaper. If you don't have a smartphone getting one with cellular data might be useful though as you'll have Internet access anywhere you have cellular signal.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Unless something has changed in the past few years, not all providers use GSM, so they aren't interchangeable with CDMA phones/tablets (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407896,00.asp)

My mom just got an iPad Mini and I was honestly impressed with it. I've had an android tablet for a little over 2 years and the Mini is a lot more enjoyable to use.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2013, 01:31:42 PM »

Unless something has changed in the past few years, not all providers use GSM, so they aren't interchangeable with CDMA phones/tablets (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407896,00.asp)
Yes, only AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM in the U.S. But I think the iPad 3 and newer use a universal radio that works on both GSM & CDMA.
My mom just got an iPad Mini and I was honestly impressed with it. I've had an android tablet for a little over 2 years and the Mini is a lot more enjoyable to use.
Yeah the older Android stuff doesn't work nearly as well as the iPads and newer Android stuff. The general consensus among the reviews I've seen is that the Nexus 7(both versions) is a very close match for the iPad in terms of usability. I know my Nexus 4 is much better than my previous DROID X. Also, FYI, a custom ROM might make your Android tablet much better; one made my DX much better.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 10:22:44 PM »

But here's the thing. Overheating, and consequently shutting down for several minutes, is the one serious technical problem that I, and a good number of others judging by Internet forums, have experienced. I use it in a kneeboard case, strapped to my thigh, and if the sun hits it for 10 or 15 minutes it turns off and won't come back on until it gets about 5 minutes of lying on the floor in the shade. As you can imagine, this is a real problem in the cockpit where you are now relying on this thing for your approach plates.

No one ever died from not being able to turn down the harmonica player, so far as I know, but this issue is something to consider in a live sound situation.

I'm curious about others' experience and solutions in dealing with this.
--Frank

I live in Phoenix, AZ.  I did gigs this year in 118 degree weather.  Mixing monitors on the 4th of July with no shade, direct sunlight, never had an overheating issue with my iPad.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 12:50:57 PM »

and you still live there...why?

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2013, 01:08:29 AM »

Maybe Ryan collects lizards.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

George Dougherty

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2013, 01:10:28 PM »

It's an extra monthly cost, but I'd recommend considering the cellular data version. I'm pretty careful about leaving mine around, but if somebody does pick it up or I leave it somewhere, I've got data service for it to communicate over to report its location. 

My father left his ipad in a rental car when returned and it promptly disappeared. Ios7's activation lock makes that more difficult to do, but it's possible somebody can work around it.  That taught me all I needed to know that I'd rather have the extra data capability anyway along with the added security. 
I'm on a shared data plan so my ipad is only an extra $10/mo for data service and hotspot capability on top of my family cell phone and data service.

+1 on the ipad4 at a minimum.  I'd rather have lightning compatibility going forward since you can adapt some things back to the 30pin if you have to.  AFAIK, you can't adapt the other way around.  For longevity of usability, lightning connectors are where you want to be.  Replacement cables are relatively cheap, so I have 4 for various locations to ensure I've always got one available.

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2013, 04:58:49 PM »

It's an extra monthly cost, but I'd recommend considering the cellular data version. I'm pretty careful about leaving mine around, but if somebody does pick it up or I leave it somewhere, I've got data service for it to communicate over to report its location. 

My father left his ipad in a rental car when returned and it promptly disappeared. Ios7's activation lock makes that more difficult to do, but it's possible somebody can work around it.  That taught me all I needed to know that I'd rather have the extra data capability anyway along with the added security. 
I'm on a shared data plan so my ipad is only an extra $10/mo for data service and hotspot capability on top of my family cell phone and data service.

Speaking from experience (I maintain a fleet of iPhones and iPads) the first thing someone does when they steal/pick up an iDevice is to pull the SIM. I've been contacted within 5 minutes of a device of mine being grabbed at an airport and it was already off the grid. So while its handy if you misplace it and its in a secure location, it doesn't help if its been lost/stolen in a public area.

I personally still use an iPad 2 and I don't see a need to update to a 4. I'm probably going to purchase a 3 for my mom this Christmas. I can get her the 30 pin camera kit so she can upload her photo's directly from it. I like the 30 pin for that as its not a dongle hanging off of it for the SD adaptor. You have over 10 years worth of 30 pin cables in the world to feed off of, and the 4S and iPod classic are still current models, the 30 pin is still plenty safe for the next 4 or so years I would expect to get out of the iPad.
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2013, 04:50:41 PM »

OK, so now that the new app is out and it appears 99% of the requested features have been added I've ordered an Ipad. Retina display, WiFi, 16gb. That should do it I think, but just in case, does anyone see why it won't??
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2013, 04:58:48 PM »

Sounds right by me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2013, 04:58:48 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.