Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Ipad  (Read 25069 times)

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
Re: Ipad
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 04:17:24 PM »

... I have laying around the house? Maybe even the one my left foot is literally on top of right now........ Cisco E2500.

Bob, I couldn't be happier with the Airport Extream. The ease of setup and connecting beats struggling with all the wacko settings that i encounter on the other brands.

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 06:24:05 PM »

One plus for the airport is being able to run airport utility from your iPad itself for setup and adjustment purposes.
Ryan Davis

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 06:54:04 PM »

OK, thanks to all, and I'm leaning towards Robs suggestion, the Ipad 3 w/ 32gb RAM.

What does it mean when people advertise the Ipad is FACTORY UNLOCKED.

Also, what's the deal with no SIM card, factory, etc. SIM card??
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 08:30:50 PM »

OK, thanks to all, and I'm leaning towards Robs suggestion, the Ipad 3 w/ 32gb RAM.

Are you planning to connect this thing to your cellular provider?  If not, stick to the WiFi only iPad (KISS and all that).  If you're only running WiFi, the rest of that is simply jibberish.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 09:13:10 PM »

On iPads with the cellular data option they use a small card(similar to an SD or microSD card) called a SIM card which holds the data that allows the device to connect to the carriers network. I can't remember if the iPad 3 is universal in that it works on AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, & T-Mobile or if they only either work on certain ones. If they are universal (which I think they are) you can take one that was Verizon originally and put an AT&T SIM in it and use it on AT&T no problem. The term "unlocked" refers to the ability to use the iPad on networks other than the one that it came with. Most, if not all, cellular data iPads are sold with a specific carriers SIM card installed and they have a prepaid data plan that can be turned on and off month to month.

That said if you don't need/want the cellular data option it's best to get one that's Wi-Fi only, not to mention the Wi-Fi only ones are cheaper. If you don't have a smartphone getting one with cellular data might be useful though as you'll have Internet access anywhere you have cellular signal.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 12:10:18 AM »

I forgot to add that a Lifeproof case is worth every penny - MILSPEC protection for your new toy.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 01:57:23 AM »

Wifi only iPads batteries last longer between charges.
You can always use your phones portable wifi network if you need to connect your iPad to the internet, that's what I do and it works great.
Retina display is great in midsummer sunlight even here in Phoenix.
I have the 32Gb new iPad (retina display) and have been very happy with it.

Jamie Chappa

• Arsenic Promotion and Production
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 05:29:29 AM »

Im in the same boat right now. Just got an expression awaiting the app release before i go wireless. The band i work with seems excited about being able to control the iem mix on stage. I have never really setup anything like this, so my question is will multiple connections effect the stability of my connection to the console.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 12:04:02 PM »

If this is just for a console control unit, why are you getting 32GB? The 16GB is fine.  Performance is identical, the only difference is how much stuff you can store on it.  i.e., videos, pictures, music, etc.

While the iPad 1 is no longer being updated, you can pick them up dirt cheap and they are still a decent pad.  The iPad 2 probably won't see any more OS updates, but it's still a great unit at a decent price.  The 30 pin connector can actually be an advantage right now, as everyone's got 30 pin charging connectors laying around if something were to happen to yours.  While the new devices have lightning connectors, not everyone has a few spares yet.

The iPad 3 is not my favorite of pads.  It ran a LOT warmer than the iPad 2 and the performance difference wasn't all that great.

The iPad 4 brought the a6x chip which did have quite a speed boost.

The new iPad air is a whole next generation device.  Faster, lighter, better display.  When you look at the relative cost difference, it makes sense just to buy the newest unit, as you're going to get the most longevity out of it.  You're only looking at a couple hundred dollars difference in price at most.  Not having to deal with old technology makes it totally worth it.
Brian Jojade

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 12:20:33 PM »

I recently bought an iPad (4, Retina, Wifi only) to solve a specific problem, namely electronic flight bag, using the very nicely done Foreflight app. I confess I've found it to be handy for quite a few other things, within its Apple-imposed limitations, and no longer carry a laptop for trips away from home. Should I get a digital mixer, I expect the iPad, or its descendants, will be pressed into service there, too.

But here's the thing. Overheating, and consequently shutting down for several minutes, is the one serious technical problem that I, and a good number of others judging by Internet forums, have experienced. I use it in a kneeboard case, strapped to my thigh, and if the sun hits it for 10 or 15 minutes it turns off and won't come back on until it gets about 5 minutes of lying on the floor in the shade. As you can imagine, this is a real problem in the cockpit where you are now relying on this thing for your approach plates.

No one ever died from not being able to turn down the harmonica player, so far as I know, but this issue is something to consider in a live sound situation.

I'm curious about others' experience and solutions in dealing with this.

Oh, and my McIntosh is from that awkward time -- it has both tubes and transistors.

--Frank
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 12:28:23 PM by Frank Koenig »
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 12:20:33 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.