ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Home Network Attached Storage device  (Read 15885 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: Home Network Attached Storage device
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2013, 11:21:15 AM »

Tommy,
You might be interested to know that one of my systems, the one I'm using now, was attacked by a rather nasty virus Christmas eve. I know where the virus came from, and I know what the virus is. I also know that even the 3 virus and malware programs I run wouldn't touch it, and that from past experience in the corporate world this particular threat is above serious. My decision was to roll back my system using the software and hardware I described above. I booted from the recovery CD and performed a sector by sector reimage of my system. 2 1/2 hours later the system is like new and the virus gone.
Viruses can be pretty bad these days. I haven't got one on one of our home systems so far, but I've dealt with a few at work(I am the IT person at a local real estate office). So far I've only had to "go nuclear"(reformat and reinstall everything from the recovery partition and backup) on one of the machines at work; the other ones I've dealt with have been fixable with a combination of Malwarebytes and Microsoft Security Essentials. I'll have to look into some disk image software so I can take images of our computers at home to make recovery easier.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2013, 12:43:04 PM »

Tommy,
You might be interested to know that one of my systems, the one I'm using now, was attacked by a rather nasty virus Christmas eve. I know where the virus came from, and I know what the virus is. I also know that even the 3 virus and malware programs I run wouldn't touch it, and that from past experience in the corporate world this particular threat is above serious. My decision was to roll back my system using the software and hardware I described above. I booted from the recovery CD and performed a sector by sector reimage of my system. 2 1/2 hours later the system is like new and the virus gone.

So what was the infection vector, Victor?  And what was the nasty bug?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2013, 04:12:44 PM »

Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2013, 11:56:24 PM »

Update: I got the drive and router in, the drive is currently attached to my MacBook with a bunch of files copying to it.

The router on the other hand had been having some issues. I hooked up to our modem's cat5 to the router's WAN port and my laptop to one of the other ethernet ports. I went through the configuration wizard in the browser and setup the wifi name and password. Anyway after using it a whole it became clear that the Internet connection with it was very flaky, pages won't load half the time and stuff like that. I poked around the settings trying some different settings but so far I haven't got it fixed. The previous router/WAP was a $30 Netgear unit that was installed by the isp. I'm thinking that there is some random obscure setting that needs to be changed in order to make it play nice with our modem, but unfortunately the guy from the isp that setup the previous router changed the admin password and did bother to tell us what it is... So I can't just look at and copy the settings.

I plan to call my isp in the morning but I thought I'd see if anyone had an idea of what the problem may be.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running OmniROM 4.4 KitKat using Tapatalk Pro

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2013, 12:27:51 AM »

The culprit was a self replicating Trojan, and Kaspersky, Symantec endpoint, Stopzilla, and Super anti spyware could find it but not fix it. I worked the OS for over an hour, edited the registry and got to the point where it was like trying to swat a fly with a cats hair. The end came when I called a friend at Symantec and he laughed.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2013, 01:37:56 AM »

Anyway after using it a while it became clear that the Internet connection with it was very flaky, pages won't load half the time and stuff like that.
Try setting the MTU on the WAN interface of your router to 1492. The default is usually 1500, but the extra overhead of the DSL PPP connection often requires turning it down a bit.

Does your router get a public IP address on its WAN interface, or is it pulling a private IP address (192.168.x.x) from the modem? If the subnets (first three octets) you'll have all kinds of problems. If they aren't the same but you're getting a private IP address, you might be dealing with a double-NAT issue which can result in flakiness.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2013, 02:33:43 AM »

Try setting the MTU on the WAN interface of your router to 1492. The default is usually 1500, but the extra overhead of the DSL PPP connection often requires turning it down a bit.

Does your router get a public IP address on its WAN interface, or is it pulling a private IP address (192.168.x.x) from the modem? If the subnets (first three octets) you'll have all kinds of problems. If they aren't the same but you're getting a private IP address, you might be dealing with a double-NAT issue which can result in flakiness.
The router is getting a private ip(192.168.168.x) from the modem (which is some variety of wireless LTE modem from the local telephone cooperation and is located on the side of the house with a cat5 that comes inside, goes to a PoE, and a cat5 goes from the PoE to the router) and the router is handing out addresses like 192.168.1.x. You may be onto something with double NAT being the problem. I'll see if I can disable NAT on the new router along with changing the MTU(assuming that can be an issue with a non-DSL modem) tomorrow and see if that helps. FWIW best I could tell the network connection itself wasn't dropping, just the Internet.

Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2013, 11:54:53 AM »

The router is getting a private ip(192.168.168.x) from the modem (which is some variety of wireless LTE modem from the local telephone cooperation and is located on the side of the house with a cat5 that comes inside, goes to a PoE, and a cat5 goes from the PoE to the router) and the router is handing out addresses like 192.168.1.x. You may be onto something with double NAT being the problem. I'll see if I can disable NAT on the new router along with changing the MTU(assuming that can be an issue with a non-DSL modem) tomorrow and see if that helps. FWIW best I could tell the network connection itself wasn't dropping, just the Internet.

If you disable NAT, you would also have to set a static route in the modem pointing back to you your 192.168.1.x network... otherwise, the modem won't know where to route that traffic. Basically, the route entry in the modem would say "for the 192.168.1.x network, send it via the public IP address of the other router." This also means your router's WAN IP address would have to be set to a static IP address to prevent it from changing.

I don't know what options you have, but for CenturyLink DSL service where I live, I can set the modem to 'bridging' mode, then have my router make the PPP connection. My router then gets a real, public IP address on its WAN interface.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2013, 12:01:07 PM »

If you disable NAT, you would also have to set a static route in the modem pointing back to you your 192.168.1.x network... otherwise, the modem won't know where to route that traffic. Basically, the route entry in the modem would say "for the 192.168.1.x network, send it via the public IP address of the other router." This also means your router's WAN IP address would have to be set to a static IP address to prevent it from changing.

I don't know what options you have, but for CenturyLink DSL service where I live, I can set the modem to 'bridging' mode, then have my router make the PPP connection. My router then gets a real, public IP address on its WAN interface.
Hmmmm. I don't think I'll be able to get into the modems setup to change anything there but I'll try. I'll give my isp a call later today and see if they can help me get it going. I think getting the modem in bridging mode would be ideal, maybe they can tell me how to access the settings (assuming it's possible with our modem).

Sent from my Nexus 4 running OmniROM 4.4 KitKat using Tapatalk Pro

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2013, 12:01:07 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.