ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless transmission trough walls  (Read 21167 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Wireless transmission trough walls
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 09:41:03 PM »

Am I to understand that by wire you mean a wired mic?  The client wants a wireless mic to avoid dragging a cable thru patrons over a 75' use area.

You should mount the antenna(s) on the client side of the wall and get a run of the appropriate coax.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 10:19:01 PM »

It's usually 75ohm cable with BNC connectors.

It shouldn't be 75ohm, that's video cable. For audio over RF the industry standard is 50ohm cable and connectors.

David Allred

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 10:48:22 PM »

David, your use of the word 'client' implies that someone is paying you to do this.  However, the questions you are asking imply that you aren't qualified to do this...

No.  I just have no experience attempting to transmit through block walls. The manual offers no extension mention, nor the antenna type (75 ohm or otherwise).  Shure lists no antenna accessories for this model.  For this reason I come seeking knowledge.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 11:34:56 PM »

Looking at a Shure BLX24 or 24R system for an install.  It specs as 300' line of sight.  I want to rack it in the audio closet.  I only need to transmit 100' (absolute max), but there will be a block wall between (7' from the receiver if it makes a difference).   Any hope?

Thanks

There is no specification on the antennas in the user guide, but assuming the connectors are BNC you should be able to remote mount the antennas and use low loss cable to connect the antennas in the room to the receivers in the rack. You should use something like Belden 9913 or RG8U. There should be no tight bends in the cable. The antennas should be mounted at least 5' apart.

Mac

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 11:58:38 PM »

No.  I just have no experience attempting to transmit through block walls. The manual offers no extension mention, nor the antenna type (75 ohm or otherwise).  Shure lists no antenna accessories for this model.  For this reason I come seeking knowledge.

What's the model of the wireless unit? If it is something like the PGX that does not have detachable antennas, there is nothing you can do other than put the receiver in line of sight of the transmitter. If it a model like the ULX then a simple BNC cable extension to relocate the antennas to a line of sight position for the transmitter is what you're looking for.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 07:49:04 AM »

It shouldn't be 75ohm, that's video cable. For audio over RF the industry standard is 50ohm cable and connectors.

50ohm. I had 75 on the brain.

David, I would suggest contacting a qualified person in your area to take care of this for you.

David Allred

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 07:53:10 AM »

What's the model of the wireless unit? If it is something like the PGX that does not have detachable antennas, there is nothing you can do other than put the receiver in line of sight of the transmitter. If it a model like the ULX then a simple BNC cable extension to relocate the antennas to a line of sight position for the transmitter is what you're looking for.

Shure BLX24 series.  The rack mountable version (R) has detachable antennas.  I have seen 75ohm & 50ohm cable, BNC and PL259 (I think) connectors.  Is there anyway to know for sure which? 

David Allred

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 07:55:56 AM »

50ohm. I had 75 on the brain.

David, I would suggest contacting a qualified person in your area to take care of this for you.

Can your define "qualified person"?  Ham radio supply store? 

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 08:19:04 AM »

Can your define "qualified person"?  Ham radio supply store?

Webster Dictionary

qual·i·fied
 adjective \ˈkwä-lə-ˌfīd\ 

: having the necessary skill, experience, or knowledge to do a particular job or activity : having the qualifications to do something

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 09:24:11 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.