ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: High School Auditorium sound system  (Read 18549 times)

Garry Drummond

Re: High School Auditorium sound system
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 03:37:17 pm »

Guys, I've got pictures. I'll try to attach them here. I'll have to send them in multiple posts as I am hitting file size limits.

Thanks,
Garry

Garry Drummond

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 03:38:31 pm »

Here is another set.

Garry

Garry Drummond

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2013, 03:39:30 pm »

And finally!

Thanks,
Garry

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 03:46:49 pm »

And finally!

Thanks,
Garry

While it would seem there would be better speakers for the job, the fault appears to be either the speakers were recessed into the ceiling or a new ceiling was dropped around an existing deployment...ostensibly for "aesthetic considerations".

It would be extremely difficult to tell whether the existing components could be made to function better while they are occluded from providing direct sound to the bulk of the seating area.

It appears that they might be able to be re-deployed in a more workable fashion, but if it was up to me I'd start at square one considering what's available now compared to the vintage of the present gear.

It's set up as wrong as can be...

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Garry Drummond

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 06:26:27 pm »

Here is one more pix of the speakers if it helps. I remember when the school opened back in 1984. Everything here I'm pretty sure is original. I don't remember any changes to the ceiling or other treatments since the school opened. I am a band director by profession but haven't worked in that field in over 30 years. I have performed accompanying various performers over the years there as well as attended many performances in the audience. The system doesn't sound that bad when you are seated in the dispersion field of the horns which seemed optimized at the mid seating levels. But if seated down in front or near the rear, you hear much more bass than treble response. There used to be wall speakers mounted behind the curtains as monitors. This is why there is a third amp in the rack but that amp doesn't work anymore and the wall speakers have been long removed.

The school doesn't have the funds to employ a professional to upgrade the system. This is why I am trying to help them as a volunteer. The system obviously works but I was trying to make it better and maybe get some students interested in professional sound careers. 

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 07:47:51 pm »

If the budget is next to nothing re deployment of the horns would be you best bet, also check that they are all working.
The two low end boxes are a major source of your midrange in that two way system, getting those out of the ceiling box will be big help as well.

I still see new schools with what would be a decent system that has been boxed in and front covered over with a fabric covering that seems a little too thick to be acoustically transparent all because the designer wanted the sound system to disappear into the aesthetics of their design.

Many times their built out of metal studs that ring and vibrate, kind of adding insult to injury.

Some of them have no way back into the box after it's sealed finished short of major disassembly.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2013, 09:25:43 am »

The system doesn't sound that bad when you are seated in the dispersion field of the horns which seemed optimized at the mid seating levels. But if seated down in front or near the rear, you hear much more bass than treble response.
That may be somewhat intentional for two reasons.  One is to improve gain before feedback by keeping the speaker coverage well off the stage while the other is that people seated upfront often get some natural sound from the stage with live sources, which may make up for the reduced coverage from the speaker system.  Both of those somewhat go back to the intended use of the system and space, which is really where you need to start.

The school doesn't have the funds to employ a professional to upgrade the system. This is why I am trying to help them as a volunteer. The system obviously works but I was trying to make it better and maybe get some students interested in professional sound careers.
You're apparently dealing with flying speakers and potential building code issues so you really need qualified professionals.  If they don't have the funds for that then they may simply have to work with what they have until they can come up with those funds.  And from experience, you may think you are helping but what you unfortunately may actually be doing is setting yourself up to be responsible for anything and everything that is or subsequently goes wrong.  It's a reality that the last party to touch a system often ends up being associated with anything wrong with the system even if it has nothing to do with what that party did.

Also along the lines of being professional, one of the likely issues in this case is that the related use and expectations for the sound system may have changed since 1984.  Typically the first thing to be done in such situations would be to determine what is desired and expected from any system upgrades or modifications and to then put that in writing and get the appropriate parties to all agree on the goal and expected results.  Due to budget you may not be able to do everything desired and may have to prioritize and identify which aspects will be addressed now.  That type of documentation will then provide some basis for whatever you develop and do as well as likely helping whatever you do fit into any longer range plans and not be something they then end up having to replace itself in a few years.

The original concept may have been two 'short throw' horns covering the seating upfront and one 'medium/long throw' horn covering the seating further back.  That would usually not have all three horns wired in parallel off one mono TOA amplifier but unless you have the original system documents then who knows how much of what is there now or how it is wired is actually as originally intended and not the result of prior attempts to 'fix' things.

John Halliburton

• White pointy beard, knows zip...about chicken.
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2013, 09:49:21 am »

It appears that they might be able to be re-deployed in a more workable fashion, but if it was up to me I'd start at square one considering what's available now compared to the vintage of the present gear.

It's set up as wrong as can be...

I agree with Dick, the cluster should be redeployed, both lower away from the ceiling, and tighter together with horizontal angle positioning improved.

The two midrange cabinets are probably providing some nice comb filtering too.  I'd rather see them in horn loaded cabinets to match the three EV white horns.  I also suspect that taking the horns and clustering them as a pair with one underneath angling down more would help with the coverage problem you describe.

Also, if you read the Pat Brown article that Tim McCulloch posted a link to in The Lounge, it just reinforces how bad this current hang is deployed.  At the least, it needs to come down many feet into the venue first.

Best regards,

John
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 10:15:49 am by John Halliburton »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2013, 09:49:21 am »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.