ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone used the JBL PRX710 with the PRX715XLF sub?  (Read 35060 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Re: Anyone used the JBL PRX710 with the PRX715XLF sub?
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2013, 04:08:47 PM »

The KW181 is my go to powered sub. It's actually couple pounds heavier than the PRX618XLF, but it includes built-in castor wheels and it's lower, more rectangular form factor makes it easier to move and stack than the PRX box IMHO. Similar specs, similar sounds from my observation.

Tom Burgess

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2013, 11:53:03 AM »

I called around and went to Sam Ash where they had the PRX710/715XLF set up for a demo. I played a few songs from wav files on a digital recorder and the bass sounded very uneven. Then I played 80, 100 and 120 Hz +-40 Hz warble tones from Bink Knowles test files and the bass sounded very uneven again. Playing 40, 50, 63, 80, 100 and 125 Hz sine waves through the sub alone it sounded like a bandpass sub with a big peak at 80, and almost nothing at 40, 50 or above 100 Hz. Turns out they had the sub and top set up with an 80 Hz Driverack crossover, ignoring the 90 Hz 48 dB/oct LPF that is built into the sub and not defeatable....
<shakes head>
Why the hell would they do that?  The system was designed as a system to be used as such.  I could see perhaps using a DR for some things on that rig but not for in-store demos and definitely not for a crossover.  Blows my mind.  Out of curiosity, did you ask them to run it without the DR?
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2013, 02:48:18 PM »

Yes, I did ask if we could bypass the external crossover and use the crossover internal to the PRX715XLF. The sales guy said that he couldn't change the way it was set up, and seemed a bit annoyed by my request and my explanation why I was asking. He did not seem to understand that there was a problem, and basically told me just buy a QSC KW181 and EV ELX112 top. I told him I wanted smaller and lighter and my current subwoofer, the PRX618XLF, is about the same size and weight as the QSC. His response was he hated the PRX618XLF "because they 'plop'." Both the QSC and PRX718 are too bulky for me to comfortably get up and down the basement stairs to my studio, and both are SPL overkill for most of the small venues we play.

In fairness to the sales guy, this was a very large Sam Ash and all the wiring was invisible behind a huge wall of speakers, so it was probably impractical and out of title work for him to set up a new signal path. The problem is higher up on the totem pole, whoever wired up the systems. Or maybe for some unimaginable reason they did not want the PRX system to sound its best...

It seems the race to the bottom is pushing me to buy a system or two, demo them at home or maybe at a gig, and return the one (or both) I don't like. That is a really inefficient and wasteful business model, but seems to be the general direction of mass marketing these days.

Akki Serd

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2013, 08:39:59 PM »

Not to open new thread, I'd like to ask if there would be any sense to get prx715xlf or go with prx615m as tops? Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2013, 08:57:20 PM »

I have been wondering that myself.  I am thinking for these gigs in small venues that I would just use one top and one sub anyway. A good single 15" 2-way or even 3-way top might actually be smaller and lighter than the combined 10" top and 15" subwoofer. I have to check to see how low the between-sets recorded music I usually play actually goes, maybe the right 15" top might go low enough and would probably sound smoother in the 80-120 Hz range of the top/sub crossover.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2013, 07:51:38 AM »

Not to open new thread, I'd like to ask if there would be any sense to get prx715xlf or go with prx615m as tops? Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

It depends on the style of music and how much low end you need.  You are definitely going to get more low out of the 715XLF than the 615.

Akki Serd

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2013, 11:33:44 PM »

It depends on the style of music and how much low end you need.  You are definitely going to get more low out of the 715XLF than the 615.

Thanks, but, generaly, did anybody compare 618xlf to 715flx ...
if there is no much difference id get rid of 618xlf and get 2x715xlf, just because of size.

thanks

Tom Burgess

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2013, 11:12:39 AM »

Thanks, but, generaly, did anybody compare 618xlf to 715flx ...
if there is no much difference id get rid of 618xlf and get 2x715xlf, just because of size.

thanks
I was listening to these 2 subs day before yesterday (playback only).  Big difference between the 2 subs but depending on the gig it's entirely possible that 2 of 715XLF would be quite sufficient.  Although I've not tried it yet I'd like to couple 2 in the center in mono and satellite the 710's on stands in stereo here in the store and see how some of my favorite tracks sound.
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Bob Harvey

• Central VA
Using the PRX715XLF subs with K10 tops
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2013, 04:27:12 PM »

I bought a pair of the PRX715XLF subs in early November to use with my QSC K10s for small venues.

The Full Range mode with the K10s set to Ext Sub yields the best balance for this configuration. That way, the Hi Pass takes place in the K10s and I don't have to be concerned with JBL's crossover characteristics.

Overall, I'm pleased with these subs.  However ...

1. The fan noise is excessive and drones around 330 Hz.

In addition to the two K10s, I have 4 KW181s and 2 KW153s and the fans on those are exceptionally quiet.

2. The DSP will deactivate the subs at low program level.

There is no internal trim pot to set the threshold level for the subs going into standby mode.

This is really aggravating when playing background music during a dinner or other event where low program level is needed.

I have spoken with Sam at JBL regarding both of these annoyances and was told "that's the way it is".  :(
- Bob

George Boicu

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2014, 07:19:49 AM »

I was listening to these 2 subs day before yesterday (playback only).  Big difference between the 2 subs but depending on the gig it's entirely possible that 2 of 715XLF would be quite sufficient. 

What do you mean by "big difference" ? Does the 618xlf go much lower than 715XLF ?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2014, 07:19:49 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.