ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VUE Audioteknik A-series tops  (Read 4291 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
VUE Audioteknik A-series tops
« on: October 21, 2013, 10:24:12 PM »

I had a fun week of working with a local private school's production of "Godspell".  In addition to taking a Behringer X32 for my first gig with it, we needed to provide a loudspeaker system for PA and monitors for the band and conductor/pianist.

Vue Audioteknik had sent us a pair of A15 and 3 A12 for demo and this seemed like a great test:  mid-1950s brick auditorium, wireless mics and a cast that played in front of the loudspeaker locations.

The A15s went on stands just onstage of the stairs that flank each side of the stage apron, and the A12s were set up as wedges for the percussionist and conductor/pianist, and as a sidefill on a stand for the 3 guitarists and bass player.  All the players were upstage, with percussion up right, piano AUC (almost up center, there was a crossover) and the guitarists up left.

One of the things that the percussionist heard was how much his wedge sounded like the house sound, especially on vocal parts (the bulk of the FOH mix).  In my own listening, I've come to appreciate that the 12 sounds like the 15 except for the bottom half-octave or so.

The A15 were very smooth and even.  The only EQ I used was a -3dB dip around 300Hz and another small dip around 2kHz to help with HF buildup in the 700 seat (500 orchestra, 200 balcony) brick & concrete auditorium.  Interestingly, the room wasn't boomy as bass traps had been built into the design 60 years ago, but I digress.

As part of the show, I had students in E6 mics and using wireless hand held mics crossing directly in front of the A15s while singing or speaking.  The relatively flat phase response through the crossover region made this a non-issue.   No feedback, no coloration, and a pleased director.

For myself, I find the A series has a very neutral sound... IOW it doesn't seem to have a particular character, such as the JBL SRX712M has (I call them "IN YOUR FREAKING FACE").  The Vue A series doesn't sound hyped - no exaggerated lows or boosted HF... but still sounds very HiFi while sounding very natural.  Usually opposing terms, I know, but somehow that's the best description I've come up with.

I can see the Vue A series being favorably compared to some German, French, and Berkeley speaker systems... and more affordable.

I hope to take the "A train" to a couple more shows and demo them for a couple of customers.  I'll add to this review thread when I do.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 12:37:19 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: VUE Audioteknik A-series tops
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 10:56:58 PM »

One of the things that the percussionist heard was how much his wedge sounded like the house sound, especially on vocal parts (the bulk of the FOH mix).  In my own listening, I've come to appreciate that the 12 sounds like the 15 except for the bottom half-octave or so.

This is something that was clear at the demo I went to earlier in the year. The character of the sound throughout the whole A line was very similar, just a matter of how much low end was there. The H range was the same, although different than the A range. I liked the H12 the most, then the A12.

Mac

Jared Koopman

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 11:12:43 PM »

I was at a Vue demo a few weeks ago and I had the same experience. I am actually thinking about picking up a pair of the i6 powered monitors for use in the office and studio.

Both the A series and H series are very pleasant to listen to.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 11:12:43 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.