ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aspen Alternatives and Lectern recommendations?  (Read 3111 times)

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
Aspen Alternatives and Lectern recommendations?
« on: October 21, 2013, 01:33:27 PM »

So, in my main room I need to be able to process/automix 16 microphones (Shure SLX) with possible expansion for more later on. So far I've found the Lectrosonics Aspen series units and it looks to fit the bill. I've only seen the Shure and Dugan options as alternative, but the price/options for the Aspen seem to be a better alternative to the others so far. Wondering if others have had experience with the Aspen series or alternatives.

Second topic is Lecterns. Does anyone have a manufacture of a quality hardwood lecterns that they work with? I know of HSA and thats about all that comes to mind right now.

Thanks!
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Glen Kelley

• El Paso, TX
    • The University of Texas at El Paso
Re: Aspen Alternatives and Lectern recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 04:31:27 PM »

Second topic is Lecterns. Does anyone have a manufacture of a quality hardwood lecterns that they work with? I know of HSA and thats about all that comes to mind right now.

Thanks!

For our campus, it works better for us to have them custom made. We have a millwork company that does a lot of business with us, and they will work with us to provide the features that each project needs (ie. equip. mount/ventilation, Littlite or microphone mounts, pen rails, monitor mount arm, etc) , and coordinate finishes, logos, and general compliance with the architect's vision.

It's not necessarily less expensive, but we get a product that is 'perfect' for the project in terms of size, finish, and aesthetics. It takes more of your time. We have found that MDF with a high-quality laminate and vinyl edge-banding works better for classroom-type installations. They take more abuse before they look bad. Heavy, if you have to move them a lot, though! Our millwork contractor uses a robotic router to cut the pieces, so all of the projects are stored as CAD files and easily modified or repeated. Short story, if you have a millwork contractor that your organization works with a lot, see what they can offer.

For the auto-mixing, Biamp Audia has worked well for us. If you need to add more inputs later, it is a simple matter to add another frame, or a cobranet I/O expander. (if you go the expander route, make sure there is enough processing available.) An added benefit is that the frames accept POTS or VOIP cards, so you can offer a telephone interface that utilizes the room system.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 09:44:47 AM »

Do you need any specific functionality such as gain sharing versus gated or adaptive threshold automixing, distributed or overall echo cancellation, noise cancellation, etc.?  Any specific processing such as graphic or parametric EQ on inputs and/or outputs, limiting on outputs, compression on inputs, etc.?  Any routing beyond all inputs mixed to one common output?

The Aspen is a great value if it fits your needs.  Getting the same functionality in one box may require going to a programmable matrix DSP like Biamp Audia/Nexia, Polycom, Tandberg, Clear One, BSS, Symetrix, etc.

One the lectern, Da-Lite offers lecterns with some options, Van San offers a few more options and Marshall Furniture has numerous standard and semi-custom options but is also quite open to more custom orders.  There is a local company near me that offers a number of custom and semi-custom lecterns and is also quite willing to modify those upon request or work with you to develop a unique custom design, http://www.inviewfurniture.com/.  You may also find a similar millwork company near you.

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 10:28:36 AM »

Do you need any specific functionality such as gain sharing versus gated or adaptive threshold automixing, distributed or overall echo cancellation, noise cancellation, etc.?  Any specific processing such as graphic or parametric EQ on inputs and/or outputs, limiting on outputs, compression on inputs, etc.?  Any routing beyond all inputs mixed to one common output?

The Aspen is a great value if it fits your needs.  Getting the same functionality in one box may require going to a programmable matrix DSP like Biamp Audia/Nexia, Polycom, Tandberg, Clear One, BSS, Symetrix, etc.

Brad, I'm not sure on the differences in auto mixing as my experience in it is limited. But quite often these are Q&A sessions/boardroom style meetings. I need to get more control (read EQ/Levels) over the microphones to make it a more set and forget system, as most of the time our event manager is the only one there. the installer only put two crown 28m mixers heading down to a Nexia processor for teleconference/processing, so I don't have much control over microphone processing at all.
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Dallas Anderson

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 10:20:52 PM »

Hi Adam,

I have worked with/installed Aspen units at the ND State Capital.  Great units for discussion/conference room set ups.  I have also worked with Biamp Audia/Nexia and Shure SCM810 (not the 820 yet).  In regards to automixing and "set and forget" the Aspen is a great choice.  Contact me direct if you would like to visit further. 

Dallas Anderson
Dallas Anderson

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 10:20:52 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.