ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BOSE Panaray 402 ii 100v model---basic EQ settings  (Read 2360 times)

Gary Fitzpatrick

• Fermanagh, Ireland
BOSE Panaray 402 ii 100v model---basic EQ settings
« on: November 01, 2013, 10:23:15 pm »

I have been given the contract of doing some modernisation work to a church. The initial installation was a BSS SW3088 feeding a TOA 100v amplifer which was driving 6 Bose 402 ii speakers. I am writing a new program for the soundweb, and want to include the equalisation for the bose speakers. Can anyone give me a rough guide as to what is needed to bring these speakers into line. I will tune by ear afterwards, but just looking to get into the right ball park!

Cheers
Gary
Allen Heath GL2000, EV sx300 over Community pro Subs, EV s-200 monitors, Zeck amplification

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: BOSE Panaray 402 ii 100v model---basic EQ settings
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 08:13:52 am »

I have been given the contract of doing some modernisation work to a church. The initial installation was a BSS SW3088 feeding a TOA 100v amplifer which was driving 6 Bose 402 ii speakers. I am writing a new program for the soundweb, and want to include the equalisation for the bose speakers. Can anyone give me a rough guide as to what is needed to bring these speakers into line. I will tune by ear afterwards, but just looking to get into the right ball park!

Cheers
Gary
I find the best way is to actually MEASURE it.

Since DSP settings vary with different DSPs y ou really don't know what you may end up with.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 08:38:06 am »

Cheers
Gary
It is somewhere in the vicinity of a 400dB cut at 1K.  :)

I haven't worked with 402s, but I am somewhat familiar with 802s, and from peak to trough, I remember the difference being somewhere around 25dB - enough that it was hard to replicate using a single EQ - not enough boost/cut available. It didn't fit on my RTA screen.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 09:19:29 am »

It is somewhere in the vicinity of a 400dB cut at 1K.  :)

I haven't worked with 402s, but I am somewhat familiar with 802s, and from peak to trough, I remember the difference being somewhere around 25dB - enough that it was hard to replicate using a single EQ - not enough boost/cut available. It didn't fit on my RTA screen.
Another thing the Bose processor (don't remember which one) does (or so I remember when I measured one decades ago) was add distortion/clipping  (kinda like Aphex aural exciter), so that you would have more upper harmonics and it would "appear" to have more highs.

That is a bit harder to replicate with a DSP.  Sometimes it is a bit more than just "clipping"-kinda like a soft clip type of thing.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 09:19:29 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.