ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building passive/small scale rental system  (Read 11814 times)

sam saponaro

Re: Building passive/small scale rental system
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 12:06:12 PM »

I would go analog console.There are still guys out there that have no clue how to use a digital board and those that just dont like them,period.
I know if I were renting I would request analog and not rent if it were not an option.

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 10:04:04 PM »

Last week I would have said digital. After a week of fielding rental troubleshooting calls and site visits to help out with "easy to use" digital boards I am thinking about going all Mackie again on the cheap rental stock and keeping the Si's for my crew and people who know what they are doing for sure.

Dave Rickard

• SR Forums
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2013, 10:16:05 PM »

Analog console, powered speakers.
The wrong piece of gear at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear.

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2013, 01:27:59 PM »

Analog console, powered speakers.

I'm still not sure how this turned into a "what I should do because everyone else does it", the original post was recommendations for passive speakers similar to the LiveX series.  You guys are completely missing the whole point of this system.  It is to be plug and play, mostly for me, or someone of equal sound engineering knowledge.  If it is going to be some random band, then yes, I will put an analog board in it's place.  But this system is mainly going to be for me, is to go together quick and easy, minimal cable runs, and tear down fast. My main rig is powered, and I love it, and it does make things easier, BUT there are too many cables for a quick set up.

This rig would consist of two racks: one with the 16.4.2AI that would sit on top of a second case with the amplifiers and Driverack, with wheels.  This way, I can either set them next to the band in places with little room (like a bar & a restaurant I work with) or I can include a 100ft snake for gigs where I can put out a front-of-house position...one cable to each speaker instead of having to distribute power to every speaker...this is what I'm set on doing, as it would be too much to build and label power for everything, when I can simply build a patch bay to the rear for the Speakon cables, labeled to what speaker they are to go to.  Powered is simpler, but this wouldn't be a complete 100% dry hire, it would go to capable hands.  Appreciate the help though guys.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2013, 09:01:24 PM »

I just re-read the thread beforehand replying.

There aren't many other options in your price range, certainly not in cabinets that are wood and don't sound like crap.  I can't personally recommend them, but the unpowered speakers that Mark and Liz sell at audiophile.net have gotten a couple good mentions on the board.

What are your thoughts for amps and processing?

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2013, 10:00:01 PM »

I just re-read the thread beforehand replying.

There aren't many other options in your price range, certainly not in cabinets that are wood and don't sound like crap.  I can't personally recommend them, but the unpowered speakers that Mark and Liz sell at audiophile.net have gotten a couple good mentions on the board.

What are your thoughts for amps and processing?

No, not really.  I haven't put much thought to it.  Obviously, I want them to be lightweight, so something like the Peavey IPR's or even the Behringer iNuke's have had consideration as well (I have a buddy who's a dealer, and has actually used them and likes them, for the price)...I've heard them power an old school four-way system (Three-way WorxAudio boxes with JBL drivers and Turbosound dual 18's) and it sounded really good.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2013, 10:00:01 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.