ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: T-48 FAIL !  (Read 13049 times)

David López Aguilar

T-48 FAIL !
« on: October 15, 2013, 02:52:53 PM »

Hi guys, my name is David López, iam from México City.

I have 6 t-48, but I'm not happy with them because their sound is quality and feel that they need something.

And if I'm seeing something like Scoop, as LAB12 are very difficult to do, and good for the moment I have six Titans, 4 HD215 and 6 copies of Turbosound TMS 111

BFM leave league

http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18788

PDA-The other option is that I have Twelve Eminence Kappa Lite 3015LF speakers and I've only used 6 in the T-48, just could use these 12 speakers on some other model that really sound like a Cerwin Vega L36 Yorkville LS1208 or as few as that if there is no option, guide me and tell me if it suits me better to Scoops, G-SUB, Hog Scoop or something

Spenser Hamilton

Re: T-48 FAIL !
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 03:07:40 PM »

I have 6 t-48, but I'm not happy with them because their sound is quality and feel that they need something.

And if I'm seeing something like Scoop, as LAB12 are very difficult to do, and good for the moment I have six Titans, 4 HD215 and 6 copies of Turbosound TMS 111

BFM leave league

PDA-The other option is that I have Twelve Eminence Kappa Lite 3015LF speakers and I've only used 6 in the T-48, just could use these 12 speakers on some other model that really sound like a Cerwin Vega L36 Yorkville LS1208 or as few as that if there is no option, guide me and tell me if it suits me better to Scoops, G-SUB, Hog Scoop or something

Your last thread was closed due to non-compliance with the Real Name Policy that is enforced on this forum. Opening another thread will not get you different results, please read the thread below and change your name as advised by Doug. After that I'm sure that some of us will be glad to help you figure out how to move forward.

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,234.0.html

Regards
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 12:23:12 AM »

BFM leave league

Whatever sub boxes you choose try not to MIX different cab designs in your pile of boxes.
Use all of the same sub box design with your system
http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Kappalite_3015LF_cab.pdf

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 11:05:43 AM »

PDA-The other option is that I have Twelve Eminence Kappa Lite 3015LF speakers

Hi.

With 12 Eminence Kappa Lite, you can design 6 Double Fifteen Reflex bins. I am not sure how low you want to go but you should easily attain 40 Hz with one box. Of course, if you add some equalisation, you should attain around 30 Hz. 

Best Regards,

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 11:46:50 AM »

Hi.

With 12 Eminence Kappa Lite, you can design 6 Double Fifteen Reflex bins. I am not sure how low you want to go but you should easily attain 40 Hz with one box. Of course, if you add some equalisation, you should attain around 30 Hz. 

Best Regards,
And when you start to eq down below the natural response of the loudspeaker (like a number of manufacturers do to "try" and extend the LF response) you are actually INCREASING the power going to the loudspeaker at those freq.

So when you turn the whole thing up-you will be at the maximum output at the lower freq  before you reach max output at higher freq (say 50-100hz).

So overall the cabinet will not get as loud as you would think.

As long as the levels are low it is fine-but just be careful at higher levels.

Not only does the power go up-but the driver excursion does also (sometimes by a greater amount than the power)-so physical damage can occur easily.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 12:04:38 PM »

And when you start to eq down below the natural response of the loudspeaker (like a number of manufacturers do to "try" and extend the LF response) you are actually INCREASING the power going to the loudspeaker at those freq.

So when you turn the whole thing up-you will be at the maximum output at the lower freq  before you reach max output at higher freq (say 50-100hz).

So overall the cabinet will not get as loud as you would think.

As long as the levels are low it is fine-but just be careful at higher levels.

Not only does the power go up-but the driver excursion does also (sometimes by a greater amount than the power)-so physical damage can occur easily.

When I said 40 Hz, that was –3 dB. Take into consideration he would have six boxes at his disposal he can boost 31.5 Hz on his equaliser and attain the low frequency extension without stressing each driver during the process. That is the beauty about using quantity. You will never drive twelve fifteens as hard as someone using six when SPL is the motive.

Best Regards,

George Dougherty

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 12:42:32 PM »

BFM leave league

I didn't get how you're processing the signals to the T48 and HD215 out of that. It sounded like you're using a pretty gentle 18db slope on the HP of the T48.  To not destroy the critical bass region with interactions between the cabs it seems you'd need to properly time align, crossover steeper and match phase response between the two cabinets. At 100Hz on your crossover, if done wrong you could be totally trashing the kick and thump response of your system.  The T48 has about a 14ft horn length which definitely needs accounting for.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 12:45:14 PM »

When I said 40 Hz, that was –3 dB. Take into consideration he would have six boxes at his disposal he can boost 31.5 Hz on his equaliser and attain the low frequency extension without stressing each driver during the process. That is the beauty about using quantity. You will never drive twelve fifteens as hard as someone using six when SPL is the motive.
Elliot,

Regardless of quantity, a ported cabinet with an F3 of 40 Hz will be -10 dB or more down at 31.5 Hz.
A pair of drivers in a F3 40 Hz box would exceed Xmax at 30 Hz with about 100 watts, anything approaching 900 watts at 30 Hz would just make the cones flap uselessly. 

With cones as light as the 3015LF, they can get "tenderized" very quickly,  equalization more than a few Hz below Fb won't get much of anything but ripped cones.

Art

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 02:26:22 PM »

Elliot,

Regardless of quantity, a ported cabinet with an F3 of 40 Hz will be -10 dB or more down at 31.5 Hz.
A pair of drivers in a F3 40 Hz box would exceed Xmax at 30 Hz with about 100 watts, anything approaching 900 watts at 30 Hz would just make the cones flap uselessly. 

With cones as light as the 3015LF, they can get "tenderized" very quickly,  equalization more than a few Hz below Fb won't get much of anything but ripped cones.

Art

Art,

That is not taking the impedance versus frequency into factor. The excursion is proportional to the impedance the loudspeaker sees at the given frequency at the given power.

For example,

An amplifier delivers 1000 watts @ 8 ohms from 20 – 20,000 kHz. The loudspeaker’s impedance rise to16 ohms @ 40 Hz and reverts back to 8 ohms @ 50 Hz. So the loudspeaker will get 1000 watts @ 50 Hz, & 500 watts @ 40 Hz. When this occurs the xmax will be reduced for there is less voltage passing through the speaker @ 40 Hz than 50 Hz. 

This is a quick design I’ve drawn up using two Eminence Kappalite 3015 in a reflex box. Notice where the impedance stands @ 29.6 Hz.

29.6 Hz: 29.2 ohms
39.5 Hz: 5.58 ohms
52.7 Hz: 4.00 ohms

Best Regards,

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 03:49:59 PM »

Art,

An amplifier delivers 1000 watts @ 8 ohms from 20 – 20,000 kHz. The loudspeaker’s impedance rise to16 ohms @ 40 Hz and reverts back to 8 ohms @ 50 Hz. So the loudspeaker will get 1000 watts @ 50 Hz, & 500 watts @ 40 Hz. When this occurs the xmax will be reduced for there is less voltage passing through the speaker @ 40 Hz than 50 Hz. 

NO

The "voltage passing" through the voice coil will be the same (assuming a flat response input signal).

The power that is dissapated by the voice coil will be different at different freq-due to the impedance.

But the voltage applied to get the 500 and 1000 watts would be the same.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 03:49:59 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 24 queries.