ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Specs vs. Specs  (Read 8130 times)

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Specs vs. Specs
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 01:13:20 PM »

http://www.solarisnetwork.com/item_16021

"Good one" referring of course to the prospect someone would actually pay $7K for used V-DOSC :-)
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 01:21:05 PM »

The "real" price is around $6k, give or take, depending on condition and where in the world they are currently.

There's nothing wrong with your T12 rig, in fact I think the T12 is one of the unsung heros of the powered box line array world for the markets that will accept them.  What that means, though, is that anyone who wants a vDosc rig will probably not accept T12.  That's part of why I said earlier that they are not interchangeable.

What pains me is to hear about guys that spend too much on new, big & heavy "brand X" systems when vDosc or any of the other big boy boxes are out there, used, and come with a great reputation, prediction software and technical training.

Have fun, good luck.

Since the OP is interested in specmanship:

16x per side V-DOSC = plenty to service Bonnaroo (and many others) main stage.

16x per side T-12 = ?

V-DOSC was the most capable PA on the planet for 10 years.  And it still sounds fine. 

I don't get the obsession with factory SPL numbers. 
It's got electrolytes. 

Sean Thomas

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 02:55:39 PM »

I'm just trying to interpret specs.  No obsession.

So $6k used is the going rate, that still seems expensive.

I know the history of L'acou. and V-Dosc.  Those are the dream boxes that I read about years ago.  Like Doug said, the best/most capable for 10+ years.

How does V-D win in sound quality, coverage, throw, etc. if the specs don't seem to be there.  I'm not trying to imply in any way that a T12 is better than a V-D system.  Just trying to rectify the specs.

Thanks!

Doug Fowler

• Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 04:09:36 PM »

I'm just trying to interpret specs.  No obsession.

So $6k used is the going rate, that still seems expensive.

I know the history of L'acou. and V-Dosc.  Those are the dream boxes that I read about years ago.  Like Doug said, the best/most capable for 10+ years.

How does V-D win in sound quality, coverage, throw, etc. if the specs don't seem to be there.  I'm not trying to imply in any way that a T12 is better than a V-D system.  Just trying to rectify the specs.

Thanks!

Which specs on paper quantify sound quality?  No way, it's not possible.

For the vertical arrays, "throw" and "coverage" are functions of array construction, at least in the coupling plane.

Those "specs" we see on paper are merely a rough guideline. 

Can't wait to get Ivan in on this..... ;-)
It's got electrolytes. 

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 10:51:03 AM »

Which specs on paper quantify sound quality?  No way, it's not possible.

For the vertical arrays, "throw" and "coverage" are functions of array construction, at least in the coupling plane.

Those "specs" we see on paper are merely a rough guideline. 
"Rough" being the operative term.
Tires have more useful information molded on them for their intended use than most speaker systems specifications.

Distortion specifications at rated output after a sufficient warm up period would go a long way to quantify one important, typically unaddressed aspect of sound quality. Most specifications are at a theoretical maximum power, which may exceed Xmax (typically 10% distortion) by a huge margin.
Even if you don't mind gross distortion, thermal compression will reduce (in most cases) output level by 3 dB or more with power near rated levels. And that is if the amps provided can produce the voltage needed to produce the rated level, many manufacturers somehow add another 6 dB more level than the peak rating of the amp provided..

The few manufacturers that bother with distortion specs typically only include figures at 5 or 10 watts for drivers rated as much as 100 times more, when distortion is measured at those levels, yeccchh.

Polar plots without excessive smoothing would also go a long way towards defining sound quality- a system rated for 90 degree horizontal dispersion that has a 10 dB "suckout" in the octave around 1200 Hz between 15 and 45 degrees off axis sounds quite different than one lacking that "feature".

Art

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 03:30:01 PM »

Tires have more useful information molded on them for their intended use than most speaker systems specifications.

In the US at least, thanks to the DOT.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoSidewall.dos
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 03:30:01 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.