ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long distance video send  (Read 5052 times)

Mike Locke

• SR Forums
  • Wenatchee, WA
Long distance video send
« on: October 06, 2013, 12:34:36 PM »

We're now setting up a rear projected video screen for a weekly event in my PAC. Nice new Christie 1920x1200 projector onto a 16'x9' screen. For the time being we're putting the Mac laptop and operator backstage but would ultimately like to move them back to the booth.

It's about 90' as the crow flies from the booth to the projector. Would be 125' to 150' for a well dressed cable to make the run through the house. There is conduit I can pull lines through, but that would be in the 200' range. I have adapters and the projector will take VGA, DVI, and HDMI natively. There is money to spend.

I've searched through threads here and elsewhere and am not finding a lot of options that sound reliable at this resolution and distance. Maybe HD-SDI, but even that I'm not sure what the distance limitations are. The Christie E series also has a wireless option but I haven't found any real world talk about how successful it is.

Anyone solved this problem before? Know a product(s) that will work?

Mike

Gareth Marsh

Re: Long distance video send
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 02:02:36 AM »

We're now setting up a rear projected video screen for a weekly event in my PAC. Nice new Christie 1920x1200 projector onto a 16'x9' screen. For the time being we're putting the Mac laptop and operator backstage but would ultimately like to move them back to the booth.

It's about 90' as the crow flies from the booth to the projector. Would be 125' to 150' for a well dressed cable to make the run through the house. There is conduit I can pull lines through, but that would be in the 200' range. I have adapters and the projector will take VGA, DVI, and HDMI natively. There is money to spend.

I've searched through threads here and elsewhere and am not finding a lot of options that sound reliable at this resolution and distance. Maybe HD-SDI, but even that I'm not sure what the distance limitations are. The Christie E series also has a wireless option but I haven't found any real world talk about how successful it is.

Anyone solved this problem before? Know a product(s) that will work?

Mike

You have a couple of options for true digital HD goodness:

HD-SDI: Easy and simple to run, quite rugged and reliable, on proper 75 ohm coax you can get up to about 300' at 1080p safely. You would need a converter at each end though, and whilst they aren't too expensive its another device in the chain to fail and also adds latency.

DVI/HDMI over fiber: The more expensive option, but no conversion necessary and again you can find HDCP compliant point to point fiber runs that will run for 300'+. As far as simplicity and reliability are concerned a point to point option is usually better, as opposed to fiber with conversion boxes at each end.

All up each option will cost similar money, but I think the fiber is the simpler route to go through. DVI Gear makes quite a nice product.

HTH

-Gareth

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 08:59:11 AM »

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with Gareth.  HD-SDI may not be a great format with the 1920x1200 resolution of the projector as most of the HDMI/DVI/VGA/etc.-to-HD-SDI converters that I have seen will not support that resolution, although many would support 1920x1080p of some type.  HD-SDI also removes any option for displaying protected content as it does not support HDCP.

I also don't think fiber is necessary for the run lengths described unless you already have fiber in place.  A number of companies like Extron, Magenta Research, Kramer, FSR, Hall Research, etc. offer DVI/HDMI over single UTP/CAT devices that support 1920x1200 resolution at up to 100m (330') run lengths while Magenta Research offers a UTP/CAT transmitter and receiver pair that works for 1920x1200 signals at up to 500' run lengths.

Gareth Marsh

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 08:37:37 PM »

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with Gareth.  HD-SDI may not be a great format with the 1920x1200 resolution of the projector as most of the HDMI/DVI/VGA/etc.-to-HD-SDI converters that I have seen will not support that resolution, although many would support 1920x1080p of some type.  HD-SDI also removes any option for displaying protected content as it does not support HDCP.

I also don't think fiber is necessary for the run lengths described unless you already have fiber in place.  A number of companies like Extron, Magenta Research, Kramer, FSR, Hall Research, etc. offer DVI/HDMI over single UTP/CAT devices that support 1920x1200 resolution at up to 100m (330') run lengths while Magenta Research offers a UTP/CAT transmitter and receiver pair that works for 1920x1200 signals at up to 500' run lengths.

FWIW, my suggestions were based on the fact that, whilst it is a WUXGA projector the screen is a 16:9 format - therefore running 1080 would be advisable.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 08:32:21 AM »

FWIW, my suggestions were based on the fact that, whilst it is a WUXGA projector the screen is a 16:9 format - therefore running 1080 would be advisable.
If the viewed image is actually 16:9 rather than 16:10 (1920x1200) and the projector has a direct mapping or 16:9 display mode that allows it to display a 1920x1080 signal directly as 1920x1080 without remapping/scaling, then sending it 1920x1080 does make sense.

Sean Hayes

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 11:58:33 PM »

Does your projector have HDSDI in? Or an optional HDSDI input card?

200' is easy for quality HDSDI. I have done much longer runs than that with all pro DAs and cable in line.

Sean
Sean T. Hayes

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 12:21:04 AM »

I don't think the length is the issue at all with the HDSDI, it's HDCP primarily, and secondly all the transcoding (which could be worked around if there are HDSDI in/ out on the devices but sooner or later you're going to run into some content that needs to see the hdcp handshake or you're sunk)
Ryan Davis

Alex Donkle

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 05:49:00 AM »

I don't think the length is the issue at all with the HDSDI, it's HDCP primarily, and secondly all the transcoding (which could be worked around if there are HDSDI in/ out on the devices but sooner or later you're going to run into some content that needs to see the hdcp handshake or you're sunk)

Still isn't the end of the world though, since there are many options for HDCP breakers made that work fine as well. Does add another box to buy though if that's a concern.
Consultant

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 07:06:56 AM »

Still isn't the end of the world though, since there are many options for HDCP breakers made that work fine as well. Does add another box to buy though if that's a concern.
Any legal ones or are you recommending in a professional forum that people use illegal devices?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 07:06:56 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.