ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New speakers for HOW  (Read 18530 times)

Mark McFarlane

• Middle East
    • Arkose Records
New speakers for HOW
« on: October 14, 2013, 09:17:54 am »

Any ideas for new speakers for this room?

Usage is a multi-purpose church room that acts as a chapel twice a week. Has various events all day and night every day.  Primary use for the speakers is for a Contemporary Christian band twice a week. Band is not too loud (I don't have SPL levels, but not very loud).  Band PA is typically vocals, some keys and acoustic guitar. 

Currently they are using some cheap Yamaha 8" or 10" speakers, so anything will be an improvement.

Budget is $2,000 for the speakers and amp, I could donate another $1K if necessary.  Nice but not necessary to have a sub.

Guy who runs the room is thinking passive for ease of wiring, but he only has an old QSC MX 700 amp (250W @ 4 Ohm, 150W @ 8 Ohm).

Floor plan has some 70 degree pies draw as reference. Ceiling is ~9 foot tall , but there are some columns that get in the way.  There is also a projector and screen dead center in the room, so any center cluster would need to hug the ceiling, like maybe 10 inches of max hang.

Gear would likely be shipped from the USA.  Local repair service available for Mackie and QSC, but probably won't be needed for passive speakers.

Any ideas?
Mark McFarlane
ARKOSERECORDS
Turn down what's too loud.

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
Re: New speakers for HOW
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 10:02:20 am »

$2000.00 (new/used)?

Can't tell from the photos, but the speakers do look like some cheap Yamaha's.

I don't think you would need something too expensive (or elaborate) for that type of setup.  I use the C (and CM) line of Yamaha's (12" w/horn) that sound pretty good for small vocal/acoustic acts that I occasionally work.  The 15" version would probably work pretty good for your needs.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_sound/speakers/passive_speakers/concert_club_vc_series/c112v/?mode=model

The QSC KW112 would probably do well. 

For what you are needing and what the demands are, there should be plenty of options.

Mark McFarlane

• Middle East
    • Arkose Records
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 10:43:38 am »

$2000.00 (new/used)?

Used probably isn't a good option, these will be internationally shipped. 

I am hoping someone can come up with a creative center cluster solution that only hangs down 8-10" and covers 160 degrees.  I really more interested in an install system, not speakers on sticks.
Mark McFarlane
ARKOSERECORDS

Mike Scott

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 11:11:30 am »

If the QSC is local; why not a pair of their powered speakers and add a sub when money allows?

Mark McFarlane

• Middle East
    • Arkose Records
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 03:16:03 pm »

If the QSC is local; why not a pair of their powered speakers and add a sub when money allows?

Thanks Mike for he suggestion.  Anything bought locally would be 220V only, but the venue is 110V.  Getting power to the speakers will be problematic. Local prices are also 30-40% above MSRP, so its cheaper to ship by air than to buy locally.  Local stock would also be limited to maybe 1 or 2 models. Buying local is basically a non-starter.

If I wasn't clear before, I'm not really interested, at this point in time, in a speaker on a stick solution, I'm looking for a permanent wall mount, or better yet low profile ceiling mount that can go in front of the podium/band, and hit the front and back rows while being as invisible as possible. 

I am more interested to hear about some fit-to-purpose architectural speakers. Peavey used to have something like this but I don't see it on their web site today.

It doesn't need to be a 2 speaker solution. Could be 1, or 5.
Mark McFarlane
ARKOSERECORDS

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 03:34:49 pm »

Maybe like this...

http://omnisistem.com/products/beta-3-r4r8/

Saw something similar to this (w/out a bass module - and was all white) at a small bar.  Sounded pretty good, but lacked low end.  You could probably get the "elements" individually.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 03:38:17 pm »

Thanks Mike for he suggestion.  Anything bought locally would be 220V only, but the venue is 110V.  Getting power to the speakers will be problematic. Local prices are also 30-40% above MSRP, so its cheaper to ship by air than to buy locally.  Local stock would also be limited to maybe 1 or 2 models. Buying local is basically a non-starter.

If I wasn't clear before, I'm not really interested, at this point in time, in a speaker on a stick solution, I'm looking for a permanent wall mount, or better yet low profile ceiling mount that can go in front of the podium/band, and hit the front and back rows while being as invisible as possible. 

I am more interested to hear about some fit-to-purpose architectural speakers. Peavey used to have something like this but I don't see it on their web site today.

I just heard these things at the WFX loudspeaker demo. They are very good bang for the buck. 2 of them would do you just fine and could be stacked as a mono center cluster, or spread out as left and right. They are powered and would stretch your budget a little bit, but not too much.

http://www.elipsisaudio.com.mx/producto.php?id=114
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Cosmo

• SR Forums
  • Northern Colorado, USA
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 04:07:43 pm »

Any ideas for new speakers for this room?

Usage is a multi-purpose church room that acts as a chapel twice a week. Has various events all day and night every day.  Primary use for the speakers is for a Contemporary Christian band twice a week.

You know, there is a Church Sound forum for this stuff here at PSW...
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.  Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.  - H.D. Thoreau

Jared Koopman

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 04:26:01 pm »

I am not sure on the pricing (couldnt find it with a google search) but perhaps something like Renkus Heinz TRX82? Fairly slim, flyable, and couple of horn options. 990 x 60 and 120 x 60, rotatable).

http://www.renkus-heinz.com/trx82

Instead of center cluster would 3 of them work (one for each section of seating) mounted on the ceiling? I have no idea if this is a good idea or not, just pondering it myself.

Mark McFarlane

• Middle East
    • Arkose Records
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 06:21:07 pm »

You know, there is a Church Sound forum for this stuff here at PSW...
My bad, should have posted there. Perhaps an admin will move this.
Mark McFarlane
ARKOSERECORDS

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 06:21:07 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 23 queries.