ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Meter and test every show  (Read 17691 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Meter and test every show
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 12:59:06 PM »

While this is somewhat related, we need to careful even when metering an outlet for voltage. If the VOM is in some other range than AC voltage, it is possible that the meter with one lead plugged into hot could pass lethal current to the other lead.

Good practice would be to plug into the ground or neutral first, and not touch metal on any loose lead ever.

JR

PS: I am not aware of anyone getting hurt this way, but it could happen so is worth mentioning.
And even more so if the leads are in the current shunt terminals.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 04:29:42 PM »

Just wanted to take a moment to reinforce the central premise of this thread.  Meter.  Always.  Every time. Hot to Neutral.  Hot to Ground.  Neutral to Ground.

Everybody that has been doing this for any length of time has encountered something truly stupid regarding power.  The worst i ever experienced was 60V between neutral and ground on an outdoor tie-in with feeder that disappeared into the distance and went who knows where.  Took me over an hour to get the 'house electrician' to track down the issue and fix it.

Location?  None other than the White House Rose Garden.  Even the electrician for the freakin' PRESIDENT can get this stuff wrong.....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 05:17:59 PM »

PS: I am not aware of anyone getting hurt this way, but it could happen so is worth mentioning.

Now matter how much I try to idiot proof something, there always seems to be better idiots coming along.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 06:50:06 PM »

Now matter how much I try to idiot proof something, there always seems to be better idiots coming along.
  I used to design products for peavey customers.  :o

I believe there is a natural law, that no matter what you do to idiot-proof a design or procedure, the idiots will adapt and evolve to overcome said prophylaxis.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 08:20:12 PM »

Mike, how about a little detour (new topic) on arc flash and PPE?

And if we're requesting topics, how about a discussion of the interrupting current rating of circuit breakers? 10 kA and 22 kA are common ratings for small beakers. When is it OK to use one or the other, or neither?
-F
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Mike Sokol

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 09:04:59 PM »

And if we're requesting topics, how about a discussion of the interrupting current rating of circuit breakers? 10 kA and 22 kA are common ratings for small beakers. When is it OK to use one or the other, or neither?
-F

How about I create a sticky topic just for suggested new threads? That way if someone  watching the forum sees something in the suggested topic area they want to elaborate on, they can start the new thread and we can run with it. And no, JR can't start a thread about "better idiots" as much as that would be relevant. Or is that a good idea? 

Jared Bartimus

• Normal, IL
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 11:47:21 AM »

Everybody that has been doing this for any length of time has encountered something truly stupid regarding power.  The worst i ever experienced was 60V between neutral and ground on an outdoor tie-in with feeder that disappeared into the distance and went who knows where.  Took me over an hour to get the 'house electrician' to track down the issue and fix it.

It has been a while since I researched it but I believe that is either due to unbonded neutral/ground or completely disconnected ground somewhere upstream combined with some devices leaking 60V to ground.  Definitely don't mess with the panels yourself (although it might be worth it to walk along your feeder cable and make sure nothing is messed up) but it might save a little time to mention the possibility to some of the less competent electricians out there.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 07:58:42 PM »

I used to design products for peavey customers.  :o

I believe there is a natural law, that no matter what you do to idiot-proof a design or procedure, the idiots will adapt and evolve to overcome said prophylaxis.

JR

So it's an evolutionary thing, like cockroaches getting resistant to DDT? I suspected as much...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 07:58:42 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.